A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

My boot laces arrived yesterday. Hooray!

I'm wearing the neon green ones today to match my Mil Spec vest. We're going to the EOD demonstration this afternoon.

http://lawriders.org/download/eodbenefitride2.pdf

In the picture you can also see my pink laces that I'll wear with my pink biker outfits. :lol:

Attachments

• laces.jpg
    laces.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 4
We won the eBay bid for the Butty Buddy, so I should soon be riding in comfort. :lol:

PGR mission.

One picture is the caisson being prepared and horses.

Other picture is TCS (far left) as we lined up for the Flags. In the background are the parked bikes.

Sorry for the poor photo quality. I used my BB at a faaaaarrrr distance. These were taken prior to the service. We're not allowed to take pictures during the actual services.

Attachments

• caisson.jpg
    caisson.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 7
  • bikeslineup.jpg
    bikeslineup.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 8
My boot laces arrived yesterday. Hooray!

I'm wearing the neon green ones today to match my Mil Spec vest. We're going to the EOD demonstration this afternoon.

http://lawriders.org/download/eodbenefitride2.pdf

In the picture you can also see my pink laces that I'll wear with my pink biker outfits. :lol:

wondering how's it going with the new pair. comfortable and satisfied?

just came across some interesting helmet design!

25 Awesome Motorcycle Helmets

iron-man-helmet-motorcycle.jpg

boba_fett_motorcycle_helmet_top1.jpg

img_1713.jpg

1273African-Motorcycle-Helmet.jpg

wondering how's it going with the new pair. comfortable and satisfied?
I wore them for several hours on Saturday, and they were as comfortable as boots can be expected to be. :)

just came across some interesting helmet design!

1273African-Motorcycle-Helmet.jpg
I like this guy's "helmet" best. :laugh2:

Interestingly, it appears he carries a real helmet on his handlebars! Maybe he uses the helmet for a bucket. :giggle:

I like this guy's "helmet" best. :laugh2:

Interestingly, it appears he carries a real helmet on his handlebars! Maybe he uses the helmet for a bucket. :giggle:

good catch! I didn't notice he had real helmet on handlebars. I was puzzled at the sight of it and I think this is why. I think the biker is giving him a ride to construction site. His passenger is wearing construction helmet and there's no easy way of holding a bucket while riding so I suppose the biker wore it for convenience purpose

or maybe they were just doing it for picture :dunno:

how awful. I've heard of many horror stories about cop situation in NY but didn't realize it's this bad.

You don't have to leave the state to find troopers who hate them, it's the same in NY.

2-3 years ago there was an incident where a NY trooper tried to stop a car, and the guy took off. Chased him down to the Bronx and finally the guy pulled over, yup, an NYPD cop. Maybe he thought he had immunity once he reached the city.

Anyway, the trooper yells at him, but lets him go. This asshole cop then contacts trooper headquarters in Albany to complain that the trooper yelled at him. The trooper got in trouble over letting him go.

After that, it was open season on NYPD cops by troopers. They had a ticket fest with them because all the NYPD cops who live in Westchester, Rockland, Orange, and the LI counties, etc., believe it or not, have a tendency to speed and get pulled over regularly.

The NYPD union tried to contact the trooper union and quell it, but the troopers were so pissed off they didn't want to talk to them.

His fellow officers in the precinct where this jerk was from finally "disciplined" him internally, and it stopped after several months.

I got stopped during this period, and my shield looked exactly like an NYPD detective shield, and I could see the trooper licking his lips with glee.

It wasn't until after I proved to him that I also worked for the Great State Of NY, not NYPD, that he finally gave me some courtesy.

The post was somewhat off-topic in motorcycle thread where the fellow New Yorker was giving us a head-up about police checkpoint for motorcycles last week

There is a motorcycle -only checkpoint operating at the foot of the Williamsburg Bridge on the Manhattan side.

They'll be there tomorrow and Saturday as well since it is the Puerto Rican Day Parade on Saturday and they always crackdown before it.

this kind of checkpoint has been a sour issue for a while because we feel it is unconstitutional but........

Remember this is a city that spends millions defending itself against constitutional rights violations. It does stuff then worries about the consequences later.

As for whether the WillieB checkpoint is related to the reckless officer I have no idea, actually. I do like to stir the pot but remember someone mentioned another checkpoint at the 59th Street Bridge on Tuesday.

Basically it's motorcycle hunting season. Maybe there needs to be a complementary hunting season...

in NYC - we have a small club called "New York Motorcycle Scooter Task Force" whose sole mission is to raise motorcycle rights, safety and awareness in NYC because Mayor Bloomberg has an extreme hatred toward motorcycles and we have no idea why.

So far.... we've had a good success in getting Manhattan committee to agree with our proposal for motorcycle/scooter-only parking zone at 3 locations in downtown. We are continuing to work on getting more motorcycle/scooter-only parking zones. One guy gave outstanding presentation on dedicated parking proposal. The main reason why we do not get motorcycle-only parking zone is because of #1 complaint by city dwellers - "too loud!" :roll:

Manhattan Community Board 2 heard our proposal last night for a dedicated motorcycle parking pilot program in their district. Early reports are that our requests may be approved for motorcycle parking at Crosby and Grand Streets, and at Waverly Place and Grove Street.

The good news is that our presentation was well-received (thanks also to those who showed up to support us, and to the NYCMAG folks with their information packets) and motorcyclists in CB2 may receive two motorcycle parking areas. The bad news is, we requested parking in a total of seven areas in the CB2 district and only two are receiving consideration. The reason for the other five areas not receiving consideration is noise! Remember everyone, loud pipes lose rights. Pipe down and ride defensively.

ALSO, partial results are in from our parking survey. (see April 11 2010 immediately below) Thanks to all who have participated. We'll keep the survey open a little longer for the stragglers and post final results shortly. We would like to say the results are shocking but sadly we are not surprised. Please click [here] for an Acrobat file of the results.

We are continuing to raise hell with NYC to be motorcycle-friendly especially when it comes to parking. It makes absolutely no sense to charge same parking rate for motorcycle as car (25 cents per 15 min).

Introduction 0980-2009 was sponsored by Councilwoman (and Transportation Committee member) Jessica Lappin. This bill would require the DOT to develop a plan for motorcycle parking at Muni Meters. This bill was followed in 2010 by Introduction 0046-2010.

Muni Meters as they have been deployed in New York City have long been a sore point for the owners of motorcycles and scooters, who have no secure, protected or consistent areas in which to place the receipts for inspection by traffic enforcement agents. The city never gave a thought to motorcycles when it implemented the Muni Meters, and the city has never had a realistic plan for motorcyclists, insisting that people fasten to their motorcycles clear containers for these receipts.

While that may address the needs of native New Yorkers, we are puzzled how anyone can reasonably believe that tourists and visitors will know that they will need containers for these Muni Meter receipts, and that they will fasten these accessories to their motorcycles before they visit. Even if people did know, we can't see how anyone would think that the owners of any vehicles would be willing to mar the surfaces of those vehicles by using adhesives or drilling holes, only to end up with a place for the receipts that still is not really secure from weather, theft or mischief.

Seven motorcycles can fit in the space allowed for one automobile. Motorcyclists should be entitled to discounted parking for the reduced real estate we use. Better yet, the city could follow the great example set by Toronto, Canada. In 2005 Toronto permanently made motorcycle parking free wherever there is legal street parking. We have since learned that many other North American cities have adopted similar policies.

Since the practice of "touch parking" is so common in New York City, we would like to see separate parking areas reserved just for motorcycles and scooters, both on-street and in municipal lots. Those areas could be barricaded to prevent cars and trucks from knocking over motorcycles, which frequently causes thousands of dollars in mechanical and cosmetic damage. Aside of the obvious direct benefits to the owners of motorcycles, this could eventually result in decreased insurance premiums as well.

In London, motorcycles are permitted to use most striped-off areas of the roadways as motorcycle and scooter parking. This is an outstanding way to give motorcycles safe areas to park without putting them at risk of motorists "parking by feel". We believe NYC should adopt this policy.

The city needs to regulate the rights of private parking garage owners to refuse access to motorcycles. Motorcyclists who seek secure off-street parking regardless of cost are often faced with a frustrating search for a garage that accepts motorcycles.

Motorcycles must be factored into any current and future congestion pricing and traffic management plans. This city has a history of adopting European models, which not only consider motorcycles but prioritize them, and stripping from those plans any evidence of the word "motorcycle" before implementing those plans here.

New York has long ignored the ecological, economic and practical advantages of motorcycles and scooters, and abused the rights of their owners. Now is the time for change.

Positive biker news:

Buffalo Soldiers to rev up for good cause
Regional group to meet in N. Charleston, raise money for kids
By Brian Hicks

Monday, June 7, 2010

The Buffalo Soldiers of the 19th Century guarded the transcontinental railroad, carried the U.S. mail and served as the nation's first park rangers.

Their namesakes, who are riding into North Charleston on Friday, want to honor the memory of those African-American Cavalry regiments, teach a few people some history and do a few good deeds of their own.

Myron "Pepper" Thomas, president of the North Charleston chapter of the Buffalo Soldiers Motorcycle Club, is hosting the national organization's regional summer meeting June 11-13. The bikers plan a charity ride to benefit the Windwood Farm in Awendaw.

Not enough people know about the history of this country, or African-American history in particular, Thomas said. The Buffalo Soldiers were instrumental in the country's expansion, and fought in the Indian wars. Nearly two dozen Buffalo Soldiers won the Congressional Medal of Honor during the Indian Wars alone, and others have been awarded the medal posthumously.

"Our main goal is to teach the real history of the Buffalo Soldiers," Thomas said. "I have found that many people don't know about it."

This is not your typical motorcycle group. The North Charleston chapter, one of nearly 100 chapters across the country, follows the national's organization model -- funding scholarships, donating to churches and other charities and giving Christmas presents to needy kids. They also speak to schools about the history of the Buffalo Soldiers.

In fact, you have to know that history to be part of the club. And you have to be willing to teach it.

The club, which is selling tickets to weekend events, including a banquet, is looking for sponsors for a charity ride Saturday from the Embassy Suites at the Coliseum to Patriots Point and back. Thomas said he hopes to raise several thousand dollars for Windwood, a private non-profit that offers long-term care and therapy for children.

Judy Ward, development director at the farm, said the Buffalo Soldiers already have made a big impact on the kids there, showing up on their Harleys and wearing the old uniforms of their namesakes.

"They want to be an influence for good in the lives of young people," Ward said. "They just want to help."

The Buffalo Soldiers will be out on Saturday, many in period uniforms, displaying their bikes at the Embassy Suites after their charity ride.

"They rode horses, we ride iron horses," Thomas said.
The Post and Courier - Buffalo Soldiers to rev up for good cause - Charleston SC - postandcourier.com

Buffalo Soldiers at Freedom Run Rally

2nipheh.jpg

was that the one that you and your hubby participated in? We have dozens of Buffalo Soldiers up here too.

EDIT: woops! I read too quick. :ty: for sharing this. I too do not know much about Buffalo Soldiers.
No, we aren't members; I just thought it was interesting.

Here's their membership requirements:

MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILITY AND REQUIREMENTS:

* Any Active, Reserve, or Retired Armed
Forces/Law Enforcement/Public Safety
personnel, at least 21 years of age, is
eligible for membership. Note: Proof of
military service (DD Form 214 or Active
Duty/Retired I.D.), or appropriate Law
Enforcement/Public Safety credentials may
be required.
* Business professionals (degreed or
certificated) eligibility will be considered on
a case-by-case basis.
* Must complete a membership application
and background information screening.
* Be nominated at a general membership
meeting by a Full Member in good standing.
* Must own a touring, cruiser, or sport-
touring class motorcycle (750cc minimum).
* Must be Class M licensed and properly
insured to operate a motorcycle in the
State of South Carolina.
* Complete a probationary period, not to
exceed nine (9) months; including
satisfying the organization 2500-mile group
ride policy.
* Must have completed or will complete a
widely recognized motorcycle safety
course within three (3) months of
probationary acceptance.
* Be Voted In by majority vote.
* Must educate themselves and others on
the history of the Buffalo Soldiers.
* Must actively support the organization and
its functions.

No, we aren't members; I just thought it was interesting.

Here's their membership requirements:

oh - what I meant is that I thought it was about the Patriot Guard Riders mission that you and your hubby participated in but I read too quick.

oh - what I meant is that I thought it was about the Patriot Guard Riders mission that you and your hubby participated in but I read too quick.
Got it.

We went to the PGR mission (funeral) Friday.

Saturday, we went to the EOD fundraiser for wounded EOD members, and the families of deceased EOD members.

I will download and post photos later.

EOD ANDROS robot and control board:

Attachments

• bbandro1.jpg
    bbandro1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 7
  • bbandrocontrol1.jpg
    bbandrocontrol1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 6
  • bbandrosx.jpg
    bbandrosx.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 6