a medical discovery for deafness

Then why does medical community work so hard enough to get ruin of all diseases and disabilities if nobody is prefect? Their goal is to make so sure that there are no imperfect humans...

What the hell?? you got from me saying that it would be awesome if there wasn't a need for ASL, speech therapy etc etc (actually speech therapy would still be around hearing kids need it too) anymore if there was a cure for deafness to me thinking it would be wonderful if ASL died out???? How did you do that? And no, the goal of the medical community is not to make sure there are no imperfect humans. Diseases and disabilities aren't "imperfections", they are disabilities and diseases.

oh and notice I didn't say being deaf is going to make your life hard, your childhood difficult, I said harder than a hearing persons.

Stay deaf. Hearing is overrated. Deaf people who want a cure remind me of Kate Bornstein. She was transsexual, started out as a man had sex change reassignment surgery. She thought she wanted to be a woman. After she had the operation, it opened her eyes and she realized that if she had the choice, she would not have had the surgery. She wasn't male or female....she was beyond gender. She just hadn't come to terms with that...
I actually experienced something simlair. Years ago, I thought I wanted to be hearing. I had canalplasty. It FAILED, and it was the best thing ever..........Initially I was very upset, but I have now come to terms with being hoh, and would never change it. That's like mourning your eye color

Being HOH is competly different to being profoundly deaf or even 100% deaf!

And there will never ever be a universal cure for deafness.
There's too much money in treating it.....

In the case of cancer, I would agree with this, but deafness isn't nearly that big. And, even with cancer, it would go away slowly over time for the very monetary reason you state.

Yes, I do believe there will be a cure.

Why? Are you not happy as being deaf?

I was born deaf, and will stay deaf forever.

My deaf friends have shown me that being deaf is nothing to fear. They have shown me a world that is in every sense of the word empowering. They give me courage to face the fact that someday I may not hear again. And for this, I have great appreciation and admiration.

I only wish that I could show them what my world was like before I lost the majority of my hearing. It's not something I can explain. It's something that has to be experienced. If I could give this gift, even for a short time, I would certainly give this gift to them.

You should not fear hearing anymore than I should fear deafness. Each world has it's own struggles just as each world has it's own rewards.

And no, the goal of the medical community is not to make sure there are no imperfect humans. Diseases and disabilities aren't "imperfections", they are disabilities and diseases.

oh and notice I didn't say being deaf is going to make your life hard, your childhood difficult, I said harder than a hearing persons.

Again-- I ask one more... why do they try to find a way to end all of those diseases and disabilities? Treatments and cures. That is not that hard to understand. Their job to make sure every human is healthy and prefect. Because how it works.

What the hell?? you got from me saying that it would be awesome if there wasn't a need for ASL, speech therapy etc etc (actually speech therapy would still be around hearing kids need it too) anymore if there was a cure for deafness to me thinking it would be wonderful if ASL died out???? How did you do that?

Because it is. Once deafness is treatable or curable, there will be no need for non-spoken languages.

Again-- I ask one more... why do they try to find a way to end all of those diseases and disabilities? Treatments and cures. That is not that hard to understand. Their job to make sure every human is healthy and prefect. Because how it works.

Because it is. Once deafness is treatable or curable, there will be no need for non-spoken languages.

No not perfect, just healthy. You make doctors sound like some sci-fi movie characters making clone people in a petri dish. Just using the word "perfect" to describe a hearing person, just because they can hear, makes you sound jealous and resentful. People are not perfect period, we all have flaws inside and out.

So? If everybody could hear what would ASL be needed for? You think a cure shouldn't be researched and developed just to keep ASL around??

With all the advancements scientists and medical personnel are making, lets say there was a discovery made that can make a person hear again regardless how it was lost. And the recovery is 100%.
How many would accept the procedure and hear again? Or decline and stay the way one was born or made deaf?

I'd be first in line for this, but naturally I'd want to know how it would be paid, what the risks are, etc....but a chance to ditch my hearing aids and never need to wear them again? Priceless.....:D

Laura

I really don't see a problem being able to be both- culturally Deaf and being
able to hear, too.

Fuzzy

Re: The demise of ASL
I can think of uses for non-verbal communications.
Places where even whispering could be discouraged.
Talking about someone who is in earshot - assuming they don't know ASL.
I'm sure others can think if cases where ASL would be useful even for the hearing.

Re: The demise of ASL
I can think of uses for non-verbal communications.
Places where even whispering could be discouraged.
Talking about someone who is in earshot - assuming they don't know ASL.
I'm sure others can think if cases where ASL would be useful even for the hearing.

True, but I don't see making sure ASL doesn't go the way of Latin as a motivating factor for not curing deafness.

Oh yes- one still can cultivate the Deaf Culture, use ASL if one only wants to.
Of course, the question is- would one still does to???

Fuzzy

I wonder also, how often the defensiveness against "curing" deafness
is coming from feeling defensive about being deaf,
and feeling oppressed as deaf and Deaf?

Fuzzy

No not perfect, just healthy. You make doctors sound like some sci-fi movie characters making clone people in a petri dish. Just using the word "perfect" to describe a hearing person, just because they can hear, makes you sound jealous and resentful. People are not perfect period, we all have flaws inside and out.

Whatever you say.

So? If everybody could hear what would ASL be needed for? You think a cure shouldn't be researched and developed just to keep ASL around??

I don't care if a cure should or shouldn't be researched. My point is--

Because if there is no need for non-spoken languages, then those hearing people should not use our sign languages for their parent-toddler bonds and their benefits. It's so selfish for those people who try 'to take' languages from us while medical scientists try to get ruin of the deafness at the same time. That is what bothers me. A number of deaf and HOH students at Deaf schools is getting smaller and smaller... Well, never mind. You have your own hearing privilege, so I suppose that it is "great" news for you.

I don't believe ASL or sign languages will stay forever when the reality shows otherwise...

Being able to see is better than not being able to see. Being able to smell is better than not being able to smell. Being able to feel is better than not being able to feel. Being able to walk is better than not being able to walk. I think you can see where I'm going here.
You're looking at that from an "impaired" POV. You're not looking at if from a " can adapt to life without it, and it's not the lack of a particular sense or abilty that makes life hard, but rather how society treats them. This isn't just a OMG radical Deaf separatist position. I know disability rights (ie wheelchair users, blind folks other more traditional disabilities) who believe this.
To Deaf people having hearing would be like having radar. It would be nice, but we can do perfectly without it. Remember....deaf people can do anything except hear. If you can do anything except hear (and you've never known what it's like to hear) you have NO limits!

And please don't patronize me in the future posts about how I do not accept my deafness, or insinuate that I need therapy to deal with my loss. I don't even mourn it any more. Just because I know what's gone and realize that it's sucks does not equate to me mourning my loss. It just means I don't have to give myself a pep talk to deal with my situation
Umm I never have done that. I understand that it's different for late deafened people. Just as I will never know what it's like to have never heard normally, you will never know what it's like to have grown up with it just as something normal or something a part of yourself.

You're looking at that from an "impaired" POV. You're not looking at if from a " can adapt to life without it, and it's not the lack of a particular sense or abilty that makes life hard, but rather how society treats them. This isn't just a OMG radical Deaf separatist position. I know disability rights (ie wheelchair users, blind folks other more traditional disabilities) who believe this.
To Deaf people having hearing would be like having radar. It would be nice, but we can do perfectly without it. Remember....deaf people can do anything except hear. If you can do anything except hear (and you've never known what it's like to hear) you have NO limits!

Umm I never have done that. I understand that it's different for late deafened people. Just as I will never know what it's like to have never heard normally, you will never know what it's like to have grown up with it just as something normal or something a part of yourself.

yes you have, when I first came to this forum. Honey it's been my new normal for almost 20 years, and yes I'm highly aware and well adjusted to that it's a part of myself. I already stated in this thread that I can see why someone who has always been deaf wouldn't be interested it. It's what your used to.

I have never said being able to hear is vitally necessary, that you can't function without, but just because you can function with out doesn't mean it's "over rated". You have no idea what it is like to be hearing, so claiming any such thing is doing some serious reaching, you have no point of reference to make such a claim.

Here is an example of a good analogy, yours are usually weird and comparing apples and oranges. A deaf or Hoh person claiming hearing is over rated is like a virgin claiming sex is over rated.

I would definitely have it done, to be able to hear again, to hear just as good as the normal hearing ppl. I've been profound deaf all my life, wore a hearing aid since 5 y.o. and at best, it made me as a HOH. All my life, i have never ever had it easy. Still don't to this day. Had to deal with a lot of bullshit all my life related to being deaf, and still do. Being deaf fn sucks, i don't care what others say about why they wouldn't get it done, it's your choice. I guarantee you are missing out. I have tried to embrace deafness..... it fn sucks!!!!!!!! I don't care they have asl, lip reading, speech therapy, and whatever else for deaf ppl....being able to HEAR is life changing for the BETTER!

By the way, I agree with Ambrosia with her point of views, she knows what she is talking about.

quote from deafdyke:

deaf people can do anything except hear. If you can do anything except hear (and you've never known what it's like to hear) you have NO limits!

Biggest fn B.S. lie i've ever known. I used to have think that way, but as I get older and wiser, I can see that there IS LIMITS for use deaf folks. I DO make the most of my ability, but i see i get hold back from promotions, can't make simple phone calls where there is no texing available, hearing the lyrics in songs, etc etc...i could go on forever. I'm just capable of doing just as well as joe hearing schmoe, but in this society and the way it's set up for the majority of hearing ppl, we mostly don't got a chance to succeed painlessly in life they way hearing ppl do. There is a "glass ceiling" in our social life, jobs, and capabilities. I'm sick of tired of being frustrated and isolated cuz of being deaf. I definitely would get the procedure done to get my hearing back.

yes you have, when I first came to this forum. Honey it's been my new normal for almost 20 years, and yes I'm highly aware and well adjusted to that it's a part of myself. I already stated in this thread that I can see why someone who has always been deaf wouldn't be interested it. It's what your used to.

I have never said being able to hear is vitally necessary, that you can't function without, but just because you can function with out doesn't mean it's "over rated". You have no idea what it is like to be hearing, so claiming any such thing is doing some serious reaching, you have no point of reference to make such a claim.

Here is an example of a good analogy, yours are usually weird and comparing apples and oranges. A deaf or Hoh person claiming hearing is over rated is like a virgin claiming sex is over rated.

Wrong. You are beig audist by claiming that hearing is always better. WHY? Can you honestly honestly explain to me WHY hearing is better? You say so b/c you LOST it. I understand that 100%. But to me that's like saying being a white straight middle class male is better then being a black gay woman. It's not bad or good. It's just different.

Back