a medical discovery for deafness

SilentRider

Reaction score
With all the advancements scientists and medical personnel are making, lets say there was a discovery made that can make a person hear again regardless how it was lost. And the recovery is 100%.
How many would accept the procedure and hear again? Or decline and stay the way one was born or made deaf?

There is also the issue of whether you are on SSI/SSDI, and how long? What if you are 65, sign only, have low job skills and know little if anything about the hearing world, savvy-wise? Would you do it, then. What would be the implications for doing the surgery this late in life? Would it be financial suicide?

If you are retired and otherwise set for life, and you're not drawing any disability-dependent benefits, then go for it. It would be nice if I could get it together, become a professional musician, and just simply go on the road to play. I can do that deaf or hearing, but it would be easier as a hearing musician, but harder since I would no longer receive SSDI, but easier as a deaf musician money-wise. I'm just trying to pay off everything I owe so I can get out of here ASAP.

Stay deaf. Hearing is overrated. Deaf people who want a cure remind me of Kate Bornstein. She was transsexual, started out as a man had sex change reassignment surgery. She thought she wanted to be a woman. After she had the operation, it opened her eyes and she realized that if she had the choice, she would not have had the surgery. She wasn't male or female....she was beyond gender. She just hadn't come to terms with that...
I actually experienced something simlair. Years ago, I thought I wanted to be hearing. I had canalplasty. It FAILED, and it was the best thing ever..........Initially I was very upset, but I have now come to terms with being hoh, and would never change it. That's like mourning your eye color

Why? Are you not happy as being deaf?

I was born deaf, and will stay deaf forever.

And there will never ever be a universal cure for deafness.
There's too much money in treating it.....

Stay deaf. Hearing is overrated. Deaf people who want a cure remind me of Kate Bornstein. She was transsexual, started out as a man had sex change reassignment surgery. She thought she wanted to be a woman. After she had the operation, it opened her eyes and she realized that if she had the choice, she would not have had the surgery. She wasn't male or female....she was beyond gender. She just hadn't come to terms with that...
I actually experienced something simlair. Years ago, I thought I wanted to be hearing. I had canalplasty. It FAILED, and it was the best thing ever..........Initially I was very upset, but I have now come to terms with being hoh, and would never change it. That's like mourning your eye color

Maybe for you, and it makes you feel better to think so. But considering you've never actually been hearing you have no idea what you're talking about really.

Now, just because if they could magically cure deafness, and I'd jump on that does not indicate that I'm chasing a cure, holding out for a cure or even wishing for one. I suffer no such delusions that it can happen. We're answering an IF question. What if frogs had wings? They wouldn't bump their ass when they hopped. Being able to hear is better than not being able to hear. Being able to see is better than not being able to see. Being able to smell is better than not being able to smell. Being able to feel is better than not being able to feel. Being able to walk is better than not being able to walk. I think you can see where I'm going here.

What a horrible analogy!! that's worse than comparing deafness with sexual preference. Someone may not like the color of their eyes but it isn't going to affect how they see.

And please don't patronize me in the future posts about how I do not accept my deafness, or insinuate that I need therapy to deal with my loss. I don't even mourn it any more. Just because I know what's gone and realize that it's sucks does not equate to me mourning my loss. It just means I don't have to give myself a pep talk to deal with my situation, I don't have to look at it with rosy colored glasses just to look at it. I know I'm deaf. I know I'm always going to be deaf. It is what it is, but it's not the end of the world. I just don't have to convince myself I'm better off deaf than hearing to deal with it.

Not really. I don't think I would want to be different from what I am.

Wirelessly posted

ambrosia said:

Maybe for you, and it makes you feel better to think so. But considering you've never actually been hearing you have no idea what you're talking about really.

Now, just because if they could magically cure deafness, and I'd jump on that does not indicate that I'm chasing a cure, holding out for a cure or even wishing for one. I suffer no such delusions that it can happen. We're answering an IF question. What if frogs had wings? They wouldn't bump their ass when they hopped. Being able to hear is better than not being able to hear. Being able to see is better than not being able to see. Being able to smell is better than not being able to smell. Being able to feel is better than not being able to feel. Being able to walk is better than not being able to walk. I think you can see where I'm going here.

What a horrible analogy!! that's worse than comparing deafness with sexual preference. Someone may not like the color of their eyes but it isn't going to affect how they see.

And please don't patronize me in the future posts about how I do not accept my deafness, or insinuate that I need therapy to deal with my loss. I don't even mourn it any more. Just because I know what's gone and realize that it's sucks does not equate to me mourning my loss. It just means I don't have to give myself a pep talk to deal with my situation, I don't have to look at it with rosy colored glasses just to look at it. I know I'm deaf. I know I'm always going to be deaf. It is what it is, but it's not the end of the world. I just don't have to convince myself I'm better off deaf than hearing to deal with it.

One of the most honest post I have seen in AD in a long time. Way to go! I am sure it is much different for latent deaf than it is for those who grew up or born deaf.

Wirelessly posted

One of the most honest post I have seen in AD in a long time. Way to go! I am sure it is much different for latent deaf than it is for those who grew up or born deaf.

I need to be more tactful. I know I do, it's just like I can't help but be brutally honest lol.

Now I totally get how someone who was born deaf, spent their whole life deaf wouldn't be interested. It's all about what you know, what you're used to. I'm almost to the halfway point. I had perfect hearing for 20 years, and the last 18 it's gotten progressively worse, I'm profound deaf now, so I've spent almost as much time Hoh as I did hearing. I know how it is to be both. So if someone could wave a magic wand over me, oh hell yeah that would be awesome. But it's all wishing for fish with our ish wish dish lol. Doesn't matter really, but it's a nice thought. For some.

I was born with with a severe hearing loss and I'm not in the "always will be deaf" camp. So if it was a 100% cure and that I could afford sign me up!

For one thing it would really help a lot with finding a good job. Even though I'm a computer programmer sometimes positions require making phone calls or conference calls so I miss out on that.

I'm fine with who I am and I'm happy. I see no reason to change.

Me too. I am being deaf for so long time, so I don't think I can deal with hearing for daily. I have no desire to get a "cure" or whatever it is.

Well, if there is a cure for deafness, then there would not need for speech therapy, ASL, cue speech, communication tools, and etc.

If there is a cure for all of disabilities and medical conditions, then there will be only "prefect" and "normal" people...

Well, if there is a cure for deafness, then there would not need for speech therapy, ASL, cue speech, communication tools, and etc.

If there is a cure for all of disabilities and medical conditions, then there will be only "prefect" and "normal" people...

the first part of your post would be awesome!! .......hearing loss is just a pain in the ass, not an insurmountable mountain, just a pain in the ass. Makes everything harder. I didn't go through school deaf, but I bet it much harder for deaf/hoh kids than for hearing nes, no doubt.

But, guess what, there are no normal or perfect people. Heck I'm scared of "normal" people, they're the ones that you find out have bodies buried in their basement. And nobody, and I mean nobody is perfect.

Except Jensen Ackles....he's perfect :D

the first part of your post would be awesome!! .......hearing loss is just a pain in the ass, not an insurmountable mountain, just a pain in the ass. Makes everything harder. I didn't go through school deaf, but I bet it much harder for deaf/hoh kids than for hearing nes, no doubt.

Bold font -- Actually, I went to Deaf school and it was not that difficult. Sure, all Deaf and deaf students have different experiences at Deaf schools. But, I doubt it is so difficult to be school student.

Well, maybe, to you, it is "wonderful" but I would not be happy to see ASL and sign languages die out. For only matter of time... because of phonocentrism and audism, considering how much important speaking is...

But, guess what, there are no normal or perfect people. Heck I'm scared of "normal" people, they're the ones that you find out have bodies buried in their basement. And nobody, and I mean nobody is perfect.

Then why does medical community work so hard enough to get ruin of all diseases and disabilities if nobody is prefect? Their goal is to make so sure that there are no imperfect humans...

A few years ago? I'd prolly say yes. Now I wouldn't do it for one reason. I like the option of living in both worlds. It's a part of me, while as a younger kid I struggled with bullies, wishing my deafness away because I hated how I was treated. Then I tried ignoring it, tried to fit in. Few years into my adulthood, I went to profound-mild to profound-severe hearing loss and at first it scared the sh*t out of me. I fell back into a depression, got a new hearing aid for the first time in 8 years. Rather then running from it, I just learned to embrace it and while I still miss a few things (music, being able to hear people around me, etc) I learn how to work around the things that aren't the same to me. All I need is my true friends and family :-D

To be clear, I'm not at all for or against the hypothetical cure, but just saying its not for me :)

Back