A little girl was attacked by a 55 pound labrador retriever

Yes Chessies are quite different from Labs and Goldens. But the breed is a respectable breed, and American bred. Considering they came from this country they are not as popular as the Lab which is a good thing. Not as much milling and BYB'ing of the breed though no breed is free of mills and BYB's. Though I have never met a Chessie face to face, I have a couple opportunities to this year and I'm going to make the most of them and learn as much as I can.

WOW!

That dog must have been trained to bite!

I actually met someone once (we were going to the same sale in a car) and she was telling me her neighbor had some kind of dog that he trained to bite black people! Honestly, it's no joke, she actually said that!

Dannie -

In alot of places if your dog is a trained attack/gaurd dog, it must be registered with the city as a weapon of deadly force in the same way that professional boxers and fighters must register their hands and feet as deadly weapons. It sounds ludicrous, but it does happen.

Plus those shutzhound dogs are trained to bite on a key word or phrase that is not commonly used, and there is also a release word as well.

to learn more about Schutzhund I would recommend visiting Leerburg Dog Training - Dog Training Videos & German Shepherd Kennel. I get their catalog in the mail and I love going through it and seeing what training tools and videos they have available - though I dont train for schutzhund, some of his videos and tools add to my hunt training program.

Back