A little girl was attacked by a 55 pound labrador retriever

Cane Corso

Reaction score
Guys, you thought labs or golden would never attack or mauled a kid. Actually this happens.

How different will this make if it was not a pitbull who attacked a little girl?

"A 3 1/2 year-old-girl is recovering after being attacked by a 55 pound Labrador retriever.

The dog was euthanized yesterday. "

WHSV - News

hmmm... is this an old news? cause I can not find anymore link related to this story here...no video no date :hmm:....

The link is right under there. I posted a link.

Dog Attack
There have been 8 comments posted
Harrisonburg
Reporter: Shane Symolon
Email Address: ssymolon@whsv.com
A 3 1/2 year-old-girl is recovering after being attacked by a 55 pound Labrador retriever.

"The dog was euthanized yesterday.

The attack happened after the family adopted the dog at the SPCA on Friday.

Her father says the attack happened suddenly.

"She must have wandered over because he tipped over his water bowl again and during that process is when the dog actually attacked," says father Chris Grapes.

She had two large cuts on her head and her ear was mauled.

Her father says, now he thinks no one with small children should adopt large animals.

"I've been on board 10 years and nothing like this is the first time an incident of this magnitude has happened," says Anne Anderson with the Harrisonburg SPCA.

She says all the dogs they send out for adoption are closely monitored and observed, to make sure they aren't aggressive.

"So when we place the pet up for adoption we feel pretty confident that this pet is not a danger to an individual or a family, in reality all animals can bite, and are capable of biting in the right circumstances it can occur even despite all the safeguards we have in place," says Anderson.

Even though most dogs are fine, she's worried this incident could discourage others from adopting.

"The first concern is Mr. Grapes’ daughter and her safety and well-being but it could have an impact on homeless animals all across the country."

The dog was euthanized and is being tested to see if anything was wrong."

That's too bad, my thoughts and prayers goes out to her family, friends...during this difficult time.

(also, I noticed the father of this girl posted a comment below the featured story--just scroll down below the story where comments can be read.)

~RR

I'm sorry but you misunderstood my post Cane Corso, as matter of fact I do see your link hon but that wasn't what I was saying in my very first post here, what I'm trying to figure out is when did this all happened since there was no date shown etc? so I search through Google to find more stories related to this article but there was no other links to this story...Usually when it hit the news, there should be more than one story...:dunno:

This is so sad this happened to a little girl like that. :( That dog was put to sleep.

Angel, this happened on the first week of April.

This is so sad this happened to a little girl like that. :( That dog was put to sleep.

Angel, this happened on the first week of April.

Link please....

Thank you very much RR, I dunno how you did that after trying several times :giggle:

It's really sad but it's good to know that a girl is survived.

Yes, it's rare to have family dog like that. I know one French lady who was being mauled by her labrador retriever dog. Her face was being damaged and get facial transplant at few years ago.

Wow, Roadrunner was real quick to post a link for Angel before I did. :)

He sure fits the cartoon character. :)

it is rare for labs to attack but true dogs can bite if feel threatened or whatever they feels

it is rare for labs to attack

:werd: compares to how many attacks pit bulls had cause, If you can read, it also said the family adopted the dog at the SPCA. That dog would have gone through a lot of bad circumstance with the previous owner before taken to SPCA? Anyone ever thought of that? Was that dog tested before going up for adoption? Makes me wondered.

my first question is, did the girl poke, pull, or play in the dogs foodbowl??? Often this is the part of the story that fails to get reported.

I'm not saying all Labs are happy go lucky as I do work with one that likes to take a chunk out of my arm occassionally. But most dogs that have been properly evaluated for aggression issues and then adopted out are usually provoked before they 'attack'.

PARENTS MUST ALWAYS SUPERVISE THEIR CHILDREN AND PETS.

Even though Narcan was the best damn dog I ever had, I still did not trust him alone with my DD simply because if he got excited and started jumping around he could do some serious damage to my DD. Narcan was an 80 lb Labrador Retriever. He would not mean harm, but I didn't want to take chances.

I blame the recent bad tempered Labs on puppy mills and BYB and over all piss poor breeding. The Lab is not what it used to be. This is why I am serisouly considering a Chesapeake Bay Retriever as my next hunting dog. Fewer health problems and temperment issues to contend with, plus I dont have the damn poodle lady calling me and asking me if I want to breed some Labradoodles. (fat chance old lady!!!)

my first question is, did the girl poke, pull, or play in the dogs foodbowl??? Often this is the part of the story that fails to get reported.

I'm not saying all Labs are happy go lucky as I do work with one that likes to take a chunk out of my arm occassionally. But most dogs that have been properly evaluated for aggression issues and then adopted out are usually provoked before they 'attack'.

Even though Narcan was the best damn dog I ever had, I still did not trust him alone with my DD simply because if he got excited and started jumping around he could do some serious damage to my DD. Narcan was an 80 lb Labrador Retriever. He would not mean harm, but I didn't want to take chances.

I blame the recent bad tempered Labs on puppy mills and BYB and over all piss poor breeding. The Lab is not what it used to be. This is why I am serisouly considering a Chesapeake Bay Retriever as my next hunting dog. Fewer health problems and temperment issues to contend with, plus I dont have the damn poodle lady calling me and asking me if I want to breed some Labradoodles. (fat chance old lady!!!)

Hi
I have 2 Chessie dogs.. Would like share talking about Chessie and private e.mail me.. ok :)

American Chesapeake Club

I've got MSN messenger if you ever want to chat on that sometime, I want to learn as much as I possibly can about the breed before obtaining an actual Chessie. I've already made plans to attend ACC Specialty Field Trial in Stillwater, OK.

Shoot me a PM sometime. I'd love to talk Chessie's some.

Umm, you impressed me a lot. You are probably one of the few people who is well educated about dogs and cats. Not many deaf people are aware about puppymills, and other factors that I've tried so hard to get across.

I've got MSN messenger if you ever want to chat on that sometime, I want to learn as much as I possibly can about the breed before obtaining an actual Chessie. I've already made plans to attend ACC Specialty Field Trial in Stillwater, OK.

Shoot me a PM sometime. I'd love to talk Chessie's some.

I would love to chat with you about the Chesapeake Bay Retriever; even though, I don't know a lot about the breed. I have seen a couple at the show and it is a beautiful dog. The temperament of Cheesie is really different from Golden and Lab retrievers. There is a cheesie who has schH 3, and it is pretty impressive. :bowdown:

Back