A few questions for interpreters

Interpretrator said:
I don't know if community norms differ from place to place, but I was taught that one of the worst things a hearing person can do is pretend to be deaf for whatever reason, like not have to deal with other hearing people and so forth. I have heard, at least in my area, that it's a major breach of Deaf culture for a hearing person to do that and I myself never have although I have been SO sorely tempted at times. Is this different in different areas?

I'm with Etoile here. I'm originally from the Chicagoarea, and will soon be relocating to DC, and I've found that the easiest way to avoid people who try following me or asking for money is by simply pretending I'm deaf. I'm usually with deaf friends, which makes it easier for me to get away with it. Just folllow the crowd. :)

Etolie im sure u get numerous questions of When did you get cerified? ( cuz before your title wld have been something else now today im seeing it RID Certifed?!! when did this occurr> and congrats by the way :)

im currently working my way for the 4th yr in a row to get my Cert for Deaf interp... wish me luck test is coming up soon :D

LOL, good point Javapride! I actually got certified last year, I just didn't know what to put for my title. But I figured since not everybody knew I was an interpreter here on the boards, that I would make my title something related to interpreting so people could tell. :)

I don't know if community norms differ from place to place, but I was taught that one of the worst things a hearing person can do is pretend to be deaf for whatever reason, like not have to deal with other hearing people and so forth. I have heard, at least in my area, that it's a major breach of Deaf culture for a hearing person to do that and I myself never have although I have been SO sorely tempted at times. Is this different in different areas?

ive pretended to be deaf several times. sometimes when i would go out with my deaf friend to a bar or club, and we'd meet girls, they would focus on me and completely leave him out of the conversation. nevermind the fact that they can write back and forth. so it got to the point where i would be interpreting bar conversations every weekend, and i just had enough. started acting deaf, so if they wanted to talk to us, they would have to write on a napkin. pretty funny to write a note back and forth to another hearing person lol.

ive had deaf people tell me i should ask permission first, i just tell them to deal with it. my friends know i dont do it malisciously, and i think they get a kick out of it.

i was in a bar, with a bartender who could sign a little bit, so i tried to order a kamakazi drink...no matter how slow i fingerspelled it, she couldn't follow, and just to make things fun, i started miming "japanese plane, crash", my deaf friends were laughing so hard, the woman actually figured it out and gave me my drink.

Interpretrator said:
In the deaf community I've been around in Southern California, mostly college age, there are specific rules about hearing people acting deaf. I CANNOT, WILL NOT, and SHALL NOT ever tell a deaf person that I am deaf, (I guess with the exception of if I lose my hearing). It is one of THE biggest cultural no-no's. That said, I usually don't tell deaf people if I'm hearing or deaf. When I'm just having an all out bad signing day, my hearing "accent" is so strong that it's fairly obvious. On good days, I am occasionally mistaken by deaf people as deaf (always a huge compliment). If a deaf person asks me whether or not I'm hearing or deaf, of course I will tell them. Also, if he/she asks me a question obviously assuming I'm deaf (like when I was asked if I went to mainstream or residental school) I won't just coyly respond mainstream and move on, I will tell them. The reason I don't always outright announce my hearing status is that it isn't exactly something valued in the deaf community, (obviously) and I don't like the change in signing style and reaction I get from many deaf people when I do that. Still, I would never lie about it.
With hearing people, it's a totally different story. If a hearing person asked me directly if I was hearing or deaf, I would answer that I was hearing (even though it once came out only in sign, oops). When I am out with deaf friends, hearing people all assume I'm deaf. Also, when I chat with ASL students, 99% of them assume I'm deaf. I let them go on thinking that as long as they want to. I'm perfectly happy with people assuming that I'm deaf, especially if in my "deafness" I can educate that person, or make them a little more comfortable around deaf people. I'd rather them be all awkward with me and then be a little more comfortable the next time with an actual deaf person. I also think that exposing hearing people to ASL will encourage them to possible learn it, which I think would be amazing.
Anyway, usually I will respond to a direct question or other direct comments from hearing people when I'm signing and they are voicing English to me. I've actually had friends, when we go to a restaurant or something else say, "pretend you're deaf." It makes it easier because no one is expected to interpret or worry about hearing/hoh/deaf blah blah, we just all write our orders down and all watch the waiter in amusement.
I don't know if it is right to have this "different" protocol with deaf and hearing, but I do. I just think of it this way; in deaf culture, it is one of the defining and central question you will ask. In hearing culture, it rarely comes up. So, I just follow suit.

I am hard of hearing and a certified interpreter. I learned sign language in college, and my hearing loss was diagnosed right after college. I first began learning sign language because I was fascinated, but then I got a Deaf roommate whose parents are also Deaf and my interest turned into passion and I soaked ASL up like a sponge. I currently work for a VRS provider.

Pluto said:
I hate the hearing people because we are ungrateful for our hearing ability. I include myself because sometimes I forget it is there (weird?). I do rely on ASL more often than speaking because my friends are deaf. Is it weird for me to abandon my own culture and try and "force" my way into the Deaf culture?

:stupid:

I didn't really mean "forcing" my way in so much... I did use inappropriate words. I have quite a few deaf friends, and they have taken me to a lot of the deaf pizza nights around my area. So maybe not "forced."

Maybe I should stop trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about. A little off-topic...

Anyways, pretending to be deaf is wrong (as stated above by everyone). Even hard-of-hearing shouldn't pretend to be deaf, it's still slightly incorrect. You might be able to "get away" with saying you are Deaf (as in a part of Deaf Culture), but... I'll stop talking now heh. :whistle:

Pluto said:
I didn't really mean "forcing" my way in so much... I did use inappropriate words. I have quite a few deaf friends, and they have taken me to a lot of the deaf pizza nights around my area. So maybe not "forced."

Just so you know, I wasn't at all referring to you when I was talking about the "deaf stalkers." I'm sure you aren't like that. I was going off on a bit of a tangent when someone asked "how could you force yourself into Deaf culture?" So please don't take offense; my comments weren't aimed at you at all.

LinuxGold said:
A good test of your own proficency would be to participate with deaf community that do not know you and allow them to identify whether you're deaf or not. That will show you on "how far you are" into sign language.
[...]
These things might help you to better understand the deaf community and to fuel your desire to learn better -- to become one of the deaf norms.
I have signed so well that some deafies can't tell whether I am deaf or hearing at first. I most often "blow" it when there are sounds going on and I look at the sources... :mrgreen:

I wanted to learn ASL because I was fascinated by it since I saw Linda Bove on TV. I also wanted to have better communication with my fiancee. Since I am only a church interpreter, I don't make money, and that's probably one reason I do it. ;)

Back