A deaf girl aged 7 dies by cochlear implant.

I think it be required to get proper vaccination. a] because she is 7 and in pretty much every school you have to have the proper vaccinations to attend for the safety of them and other students. b] to prevent or to rule out the factor of the girl getting sick because of not having proper vaccination. c] the doctors should check out their patients medical history before they do any sort of surgery or operation in anybody's body. thats just my thoughts...

But the thing I don't get it is how did the child get into school without being vaccinated?? as it's a mandatory here to be vaccinated before pre-k... this child is 7 years old... it doesn't make sense at all.. and also the doctor did a poor job as well not checking to see if she's been vaccinated as it should be in her records... still it doesn't make sense, that just me...

Not always, You can usually get out of it, especially if your religious belief is against vaccination. (some people don't want to take it because the research involved aborted fetuses, well that's what some catholics are saying).

One misconception is that all schools require immunization against bacterial meningitis.

Schools require these immunizations:

Ohio:

v Diphtheria, Tetanus, Petrussis (DTP, DtaP, DT, Td)

v Poliomyelitis (OPV, IPV)

v Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)

v Hepatitis B Vaccine series

LOWELLVILLE SCHOOL DISTRICT

California:

Polio

Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis

7th grade Td booster

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)

Hepatitis B

Varicella

School immunization requirements

Michigan:

# Complete series of DTP/Td with one dose in the last 10 years
# Three doses of polio
# Two doses of MMR
# Three doses of Hepatitis B
# One dose of varicella (chickenpox) if no history of the disease.

State of Michigan passes new school immunization requirements

Hawaii:

Required Immunizations include:

* Hepatitis B
* MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)
* Varicella (chickenpox)

Vax To School Hawaii Immunization Rules

Nebraska:

* Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis
* Polio
* Measles, mumps, and rubella
* Hepatitis B
* Varicella (chicken pox)

Nebraska Law about School Immunization

Indiana:

5 dipththeria, tetanus, pertussis (DTaP, DTP, or DT) or 4 doses if the fourth dose is on or after the fourth birthday.

4 oral polio vaccines (OPV) or inactivated polio (IVP) in any combination or 3 doses of all opv or all IPV if the third dose was on or after the fourth birthday.

2 MMR

3 hepatitis B Vaccine

Mrs. Matt, School Nurse - Immunization State Requirements

The only way to know for sure which shots your kids had is to check their personal shot records.

The reason the government requires immunization for students is not because the government cares about individual students. The reason is to prevent mass outbreaks of contagious diseases that would impact the whole society. Individual health is still the responsibility of the individual.

In the situation about that poor little girl, the doctor should have ensured that the girl got her shot before surgery happened.

mostly people and kids have more carefully in surgery if you have cochlear implant surgery.

i never have cochlear implant because im sezuire they my doctors wont let me have cochlear implant dues my reasons for sezuire without knowledges of doctor's permission!

But the thing I don't get it is how did the child get into school without being vaccinated?? as it's a mandatory here to be vaccinated before pre-k... this child is 7 years old... it doesn't make sense at all.. and also the doctor did a poor job as well not checking to see if she's been vaccinated as it should be in her records... still it doesn't make sense, that just me...

Also, must show proof of immunization form to doctor before make decision for surgery.

Most school are require child's parent to proof of immunization form before make enroll but some school has weak policy on immunization and even make excuse for parent to not give a children an vaccine.

I bet that Omaha school district has weak immunization policy.

One misconception is that all schools require immunization against bacterial meningitis.

Schools require these immunizations:

Ohio:

v Diphtheria, Tetanus, Petrussis (DTP, DtaP, DT, Td)

v Poliomyelitis (OPV, IPV)

v Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)

v Hepatitis B Vaccine series

LOWELLVILLE SCHOOL DISTRICT

California:

Polio

Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis

7th grade Td booster

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)

Hepatitis B

Varicella

School immunization requirements

Michigan:

# Complete series of DTP/Td with one dose in the last 10 years
# Three doses of polio
# Two doses of MMR
# Three doses of Hepatitis B
# One dose of varicella (chickenpox) if no history of the disease.

State of Michigan passes new school immunization requirements

Hawaii:

Required Immunizations include:

* Hepatitis B
* MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)
* Varicella (chickenpox)

Vax To School Hawaii Immunization Rules

Nebraska:

* Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis
* Polio
* Measles, mumps, and rubella
* Hepatitis B
* Varicella (chicken pox)

Nebraska Law about School Immunization

Indiana:

5 dipththeria, tetanus, pertussis (DTaP, DTP, or DT) or 4 doses if the fourth dose is on or after the fourth birthday.

4 oral polio vaccines (OPV) or inactivated polio (IVP) in any combination or 3 doses of all opv or all IPV if the third dose was on or after the fourth birthday.

2 MMR

3 hepatitis B Vaccine

Mrs. Matt, School Nurse - Immunization State Requirements

The only way to know for sure which shots your kids had is to check their personal shot records.

The reason the government requires immunization for students is not because the government cares about individual students. The reason is to prevent mass outbreaks of contagious diseases that would impact the whole society. Individual health is still the responsibility of the individual.

In the situation about that poor little girl, the doctor should have ensured that the girl got her shot before surgery happened.

:gpost: Thanks for the info, reba!

Let's get the facts straightened out.

The majority of death cases relating to CI is caused by Advanced Bionic's Positioner which is no longer used anymore. It has been discontinued since 2002. AB was the first to notify the public about the unusual clusters of deaths among Positioner users and immediately stopped the positioner production. FDA then announced about the risk.

A positioner is a silicon wedge that helps bring the electrode array closer to the nerves for more focused stimulation, wider dynamic range, and longer battery life but apparently, it also increased the risk of meningitis. The popular theory is that the gap between the positioner and the array is a breeding ground for bacterial infection.

The risk of meningitis among implantees who don't have the positioner is virtually identical to the risks of the general deaf population. It pays to be alert to any symptoms of meningitis and get it treated immediately. Every minute counts.

Now, all the implants from all implant companies are remarkably safe and the risk of getting meningitis is extremely low.

One more thing, vaccine doesn't seem to prevent a few kids from dying with that deadly infection as some of them were already vaccinated. There's no proof having a vaccine would protect them.

And the risk of contracting meningitis in the deaf population even if you are NOT implanted is much higher (I've heard 3 times) that of the normal hearing population, and even higher still if the source of your hearing loss is a cochlear malformation. Also, if the source of your hearing impairment is meningitis, your risk of re-contracting meningitis whether or not you get implanted is also way higher than the general population.

Sheri

The risk of meningitis among implantees who don't have the positioner is virtually identical to the risks of the general deaf population. It pays to be alert to any symptoms of meningitis and get it treated immediately. Every minute counts.

And the risk of contracting meningitis in the deaf population even if you are NOT implanted is much higher (I've heard 3 times) that of the normal hearing population, and even higher still if the source of your hearing loss is a cochlear malformation. Also, if the source of your hearing impairment is meningitis, your risk of re-contracting meningitis whether or not you get implanted is also way higher than the general population.

Sheri

Which means that, in this case, the physician (and the parents as well, in my opinion) should have been even more diligent reagarding the vaccine. Since implantation is done on a population that has an increased risk, I would think that the surgery would never be undertaken without proof of the vaccine having been given prior.

Which means that, in this case, the physician (and the parents as well, in my opinion) should have been even more diligent reagarding the vaccine. Since implantation is done on a population that has an increased risk, I would think that the surgery would never be undertaken without proof of the vaccine having been given prior.
As much as I hate participating in this misleading thread here's my take. The doctors are the experts and should be the main source of information including vaccinations. Not all parents are knowledgable enough but I do agree they should do their research. IMO it should be a pre-requisite for an implant. Actually, my personal belief is that all children should be vaccinated period.

As much as I hate participating in this misleading thread here's my take. The doctors are the experts and should be the main source of information including vaccinations. Not all parents are knowledgable enough but I do agree they should do their research. IMO it should be a pre-requisite for an implant. Actually, my personal belief is that all children should be vaccinated period.

I agree that not all parents are knowledgable, however, (and this is just a personal belief and not a criticism) when you have made the decision to put your child through an elective surgery, you are obligated to inform yourself regarding all aspects of that surgery. Your child's welfare is your responsibility, period. Had the parent informed themselves of all issues regarding the surgery, they would have known to request the vaccine. That however, does not reduce the physician's responsibility for insuring that the vaccine had been given.

This is where my problem with CI implantation of children lies. Are parent's truly making informed decisions? Do they really have ALL of the inforamtion available to them to make an informed decision? Or are they making their decisions based on very, very limited criteria?

I agree that not all parents are knowledgable, however, (and this is just a personal belief and not a criticism) when you have made the decision to put your child through an elective surgery, you are obligated to inform yourself regarding all aspects of that surgery. Your child's welfare is your responsibility, period. Had the parent informed themselves of all issues regarding the surgery, they would have known to request the vaccine. That however, does not reduce the physician's responsibility for insuring that the vaccine had been given.

This is where my problem with CI implantation of children lies. Are parent's truly making informed decisions? Do they really have ALL of the inforamtion available to them to make an informed decision? Or are they making their decisions based on very, very limited criteria?
Most of my life I have put complete faith in the medical community and fortunatly I have never regretted it. My guess is there are a lot of people that do just that. It wasn't until the situation with my son where I started to second guess everything a doctor tells me. It's unfortunate but that's the reality. There are many reasons (I won't go into) why I belive some in the medical community have hidden agenda's. As far as parents making informed decisions I would ask you how does one accomplish this. My personal experience is one of frustration. There is no way to get total accurate and consistant information. At least not that I have found. If there is please tell me where this is available. What I have found, knowing what I know is there are still varying opinions and inconsistant and incomplete information out there and depending on perspective, one may or may not consider a CI successful. We went into this in great detail in another thread. I believe the FDA should be tracking in painful detail the metrics for implanted children and adults and be the source for the information needed for a parent to make a truly informed decision.

Most of my life I have put complete faith in the medical community and fortunatly I have never regretted it. My guess is there are a lot of people that do just that. It wasn't until the situation with my son where I started to second guess everything a doctor tells me. It's unfortunate but that's the reality. There are many reasons (I won't go into) why I belive some in the medical community have hidden agenda's. As far as parents making informed decisions I would ask you how does one accomplish this. My personal experience is one of frustration. There is no way to get total accurate and consistant information. At least not that I have found. If there is please tell me where this is available. What I have found, knowing what I know is there are still varying opinions and inconsistant and incomplete information out there and depending on perspective, one may or may not consider a CI successful. We went into this in great detail in another thread. I believe the FDA should be tracking in painful detail the metrics for implanted children and adults and be the source for the information needed for a parent to make a truly informed decision.

I agree that it is difficult for parents to obtain all of the information, and the search can be frustrating. The medical community does contain, however, those practitioners who do not tell patients of all the risks involved because their fear is, if they do, patients will opt out of certain surgical procedures. But that is exactly what informed decision refers to. The decision is the patients, and if they have not been provided all of the info, both pro and con, they have been prevented from making an informed decision. There is legal recourse to this, as patients are required to sign a consent form saying that they have been informed of all the risks. If later, a complication occurs that is a known risk, and the doctor failed to inform the patient of such, then he is guilty of malpractice.

I would recommend that parents not only obtain a second opinion, but that they obtain a second opinion from a source not affiliated with CI surgery. That way, there is no bias. Then you take the pro opinion, and you take the unbiased opinion, and you compare them. If something comes to light that you are not aware of, bring it up to the implant team. See how they respond, and then weigh their response in light of the fact that they have an interest doing the surgery.

Parents should always investigate all areas and always get first and second opinions. But the same time I would always check for my child what my options are and look for people who had the procedure done to see what I need to do as well. The Medical Community at times also "ASSUMES" that the parents knows everything because they "ASSUME" that they might have already done their research. So it goes both ways - but general speaking maybe one of the conditions that needs to be added before anyone goes under the knife is to get a proof of the vaccine.

I would recommend that parents not only obtain a second opinion, but that they obtain a second opinion from a source not affiliated with CI surgery. That way, there is no bias. Then you take the pro opinion, and you take the unbiased opinion, and you compare them. If something comes to light that you are not aware of, bring it up to the implant team. See how they respond, and then weigh their response in light of the fact that they have an interest doing the surgery.
While I am not dis-agreeing with you I would wonder where one can find an unbiased opinion regarding a CI. Everything I have seen is either from the medical community, the OEM's or from anti CI activists of which all are bias.

Parents should always investigate all areas and always get first and second opinions. But the same time I would always check for my child what my options are and look for people who had the procedure done to see what I need to do as well. The Medical Community at times also "ASSUMES" that the parents knows everything because they "ASSUME" that they might have already done their research. So it goes both ways - but general speaking maybe one of the conditions that needs to be added before anyone goes under the knife is to get a proof of the vaccine.

**nodding agreement**

While I am not dis-agreeing with you I would wonder where one can find an unbiased opinion regarding a CI. Everything I have seen is either from the medical community, the OEM's or from anti CI activists of which all are bias.

How about a general physician? All people in the medical community are not biased. However, all those who are on an implant team are naturally biased.

Back