A Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll let others be the judge of that as so far no one other than you has asked me not to share my experiences. As for your other comment, typical and well I think most of knew that this civil discussion would take such a turn once you joined.

Have no fear, I am gone for the weekend and will sharing more than a few brews and even more laughs with some other "evil audists/oralists" but otherwise wonderful parents!

Have a nice day!
Rick

Rick, perhaps I spoke too soon when I said 'you don't stir the pot' as you said so yourself. It is obvious you do not share the same views as Jillio, but Jillio here is highly respected by us deafies here because she 'gets' us and never does she imply that her knowledge is in anyway superior to ours when it comes to deafness.

Wirelessly posted

but because i have had a difference experience and met different deaf people who have different opinions, my comments are not valued?

Hug me you fool! :hug:

Wirelessly posted

but because i have had a difference experience and met different deaf people who have different opinions, my comments are not valued?

No, because of the way you present yourself and the fact that you dispute other's experiences and attempt to force others to accept your belief as your own, and because you often contradict yourself in word and action, and because you refuse to give validity to the very people who experience deafness on a daily basis, and because your responses are often argumentative and challenging, your comments are not given validity.

And what she needs the most, as we all as human beings do, is the acceptance, understanding, and validation of those most like her. Other deaf.

Sorry, one last post.

Please do not talk about my daughter and bring her into the middle of the animosity between you and I.

You do not know her, have never met her and have no idea of who she is as a person, least of all what her needs are and who is most like her.

I share my experiences raising a child with a cochlear implant so that others may benefit from it, to see things from sometimes a different perspective, to accept some things and disregard others. I have never stated that how we chose to raise our children is the only way or a better way than someone else's and I have certainly never maintained that every child should have a cochlear implant.

You want to make it personal with me, go right ahead and attack me but leave my children out of it.

Rick

yes.. When I was at the doctor's office, I had my old bodyworn (I paid $150 for all the replacements I needed out of my pocket, btw) ... I nearly dropped it as I didn't have anything to clip it on. I responded "whoa, I don't want to drop it", and they chuckled and says "we don't want you to drop it either!!!" For some reasons, the tone and their reaction bother me. I may be silly but I'm guessing because they wanted to keep communicating with me using spoken language. Sometimes I feel it it bothers people if I'm deaf without any hearing because I get told to turn up my hearing aids, or put on my CI, etc. heck, even my Father in law called and ask how my processor is doing since he heard about my money problem (my son babbled it) . I didn't think it was any of his business because it is MY BODY and I can wear it anytime I feel like it.

Exactly. Often times hearing give an underlying message in the way they say things to the deaf. They need to be more conscious of the attitude they display.

Dichotomous thinking. Do you understand the difference between the majority and all?
Perhaps it is the dichotomous responses that would cause someone to think that way. But you are incorrect regarding my thinking. I understand the difference between majority and all. I never said all.

Sorry, one last post.

Please do not talk about my daughter and bring her into the middle of the animosity between you and I.

You do not know her, have never met her and have no idea of who she is as a person, least of all what her needs are and who is most like her.

I share my experiences raising a child with a cochlear implant so that others may benefit from it, to see things from sometimes a different perspective, to accept some things and disregard others. I have never stated that how we chose to raise our children is the only way or a better way than someone else's and I have certainly never maintained that every child should have a cochlear implant.

You want to make it personal with me, go right ahead and attack me but leave my children out of it.

Rick

I was talking about you, not your daughter. Stop using your daughter as your excuse when you get busted out. And my statement holds true for all people. Just as I stated, "as human beings". If you would prefer that you, or your daughter, not be included in the category of "human being", please let me know now so that I can change my categorization of you.

Perhaps it is the dichotomous responses that would cause someone to think that way. But you are incorrect regarding my thinking. I understand the difference between majority and all. I never said all.

Then stop responding as if you don't understand. No one here is making suggestions based on dicotomous thinking. You however, interpret every repsonse to somehow imply "all" when nothing is further from the truth.

No, because of the way you present yourself and the fact that you dispute other's experiences and attempt to force others to accept your belief as your own, and because you often contradict yourself in word and action, and because you refuse to give validity to the very people who experience deafness on a daily basis, and because your responses are often argumentative and challenging, your comments are not given validity.

Awww, that's harsh. :(

Wirelessly posted

My response? Same thing I said to Rick.

Dochotomous thinking. Why should the exception make the rule for the majority? That does not make sense. Let the majority be underserved or served incorrectly while catering to the minority? That is what you are proposing.
You are putting words in my mouth. I never said that the exception should make the rule. My position is that the "rule" should accomidate the diverse needs and not be a single cookie cutter standard that leaves some out.

The text book example of the pot calling the kettle black.

Then stop responding as if you don't understand. No one here is making suggestions based on dicotomous thinking. You however, interpret every repsonse to somehow imply "all" when nothing is further from the truth.
Now you are going to tell me how I interpret things. You can't be serious. :rofl:You read things in that are not there and then draw conclusions and comment on half baked assumptions. Please!

Sorry, one last post.

Rick

Oh please. You brought your daughter into this, not her.

I was talking about you, not your daughter. Stop using your daughter as your excuse when you get busted out. And my statement holds true for all people. Just as I stated, "as human beings". If you would prefer that you, or your daughter, not be included in the category of "human being", please let me know now so that I can change my categorization of you.

No you were not referring to me but specifically to my daughter's needs and to who those other human beings would be who would meet her needs.

You have consistently over the years attacked me through my daughter because you cannot bully me the way you bully others. It is the true mark of a coward and a bully.

If any categorization that you choose to use includes you, then by all means exclude me and my family from it.
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back