A Close Call

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
Whew, My heart is racing as I think about what happened an hour ago. I just had got off work a bit early since it was a slow day. So, I thought it'd be a perfect chance for me to stop by the court house to renew my license plate tags and to pay the taxes for the car.

Well, I was on the way to the court house and I was on an intersection waiting for the light to turn green. When the light had turned green, I was about to proceed and got my foot on the gas pedal to accelerate. I had noticed a car was coming quite fast from the eastbound lane under the red light (I was on the northbound lane) and my first reaction was to slam the brakes as hard as I could which I did. The car from the eastbound was clipping so close front of me and zoomed as fast as they could. You could say there was like, perhaps less than 10 feet margin from my car to their car. It was a split moment that happened so quickly but it felt like it was in a slow motion.

I kept thinking, If I didn't stop the car, I would have been t-boned on the driver's side for sure. After it happened, I had to get myself calm and to regain my composure. So, I drove and crossed the intersection to pull up at the court house parking lot to get myself together. So, Yeah, You could say that I'm glad I'm still in one piece.

Has any one of you had a close call like this in traffic?

Glad your'e okay, Jolie and, yes, I have experienced a similar thing....on my trike.

Whoa! What a close call! It happened to us too! One guy ran through the red light and almost hit us but lucky my DHB caught his eye and slammed the brake. What a damn close call! Damn that guy ran through! I don't know why people keep go thru red light not stop!!! UGGGGGGGGGGH!

oh yeah, i did once happen. at intersection there four way stops anyway there is sort of blind side where is many pines and trees ok i check right side after that start oppose side right after start press pedal gas but somehow i notice then quick press brake......right side car is come into right dart by pass front of me. exact feeling same as your if i didn't hit press brake aftermath what happen??? maybe end up in the hospital or maybe my leg become limp for life time???dunno cannot tell right aftermath occur.

it happened all the times, go figure why there are street cars raced around in Riverside.

My first ever accident (and only one!) is when I was coming out of a K-mart parking lot. I was going to turn left and was waiting for that car coming from the left to clear. I did not look back to the right and, not very hard, I t-boned a car. The owner's wife said that she had just received the car out of the shop the week before due to the same thing.

Ever since then, not only have I learned how to drive a school bus and a semi truck, if you rode with me you'd think I'm driving a truck or a bus. I keep looking to the left, right, back again and again (without getting dizzy) to go through an intersection or turn left. I also watch my mirror so I don't get rearended. Just because the light turned green doesn't mean I hit the floorboard. I'm still looking to the left and right and still do while crossing.

When I do have to hit the brakes because someone wants to run, I let them go and say out loud, "Please, help yourself. Your accident (or ticket), not mine.":giggle:

So Glad that you re okay!! Yes its happen to me too Even I was walked on a sidewalk and car was served then almost hit me!! :eek:

I'm very glad that you are in one piece. Wow that was a really close call. I get scared when I go thru intersections, knowing what will happen next. I almost did get in accident long time ago when a van was stopped in FRONT of me, didn't stop at the white line. I had to swerve around that van and I was going about 45 miles per hour and there was no room to stop.

Most of the accidents I've had were low speed ones. I haven't experienced high speed accidents. I wouldn't want that happen to me. *shudders*

:hug: Jolie,

I am soo glad your okay and you got to relax for bit before entereing the courthouse to take care of your car situation.. I know how you feel today coming home from a short assignment , I was supposed to be there to 1:30pm ended up leaving the site at 12pm. I did get a few things done, while I was coming home on the freeway driving as usually , all of a sudden a truck in front of me, his tire blow up! I saw all the pieces of tire flying all over the place, thinking wonderful , I am going to be in accident the traffic was fast and people behind me going about 80mph.. Luckily, nothing happened to me nor the other drivers. I did pull over to check my car if it got dented by the flying pieces of tire no thing was wrong with my car thank God! I did relax in the car for awhile before getting back on the freeway. Weird , close call for both of us.

I am soo glad your okay.. I know how you feel today coming home from a short assignment , I was supposed to be there to 1:30pm ended up leaving the site at 12pm. I did get a few things done, while I was coming home on the freeway driving as usually , all of a sudden a truck in front of me, his tire blow up! I saw all the pieces of tire flying all over the place, thinking wonderful , I am going to be in accident the traffic was fast and people behind me going about 80mph.. Luckily, nothing happened to me nor the other drivers. I did pull over to check my car if it got dented by the flying pieces of tire no thing was wrong with my car thank God! I did relax in the car for awhile before getting back on the freeway. Weird , close call for both of us.

I presume you got off at the next exit and then stopped to check. Besides, there's nothing you could have done to prevent the blowout. I've driven truck, but have only seen videos of tire blowouts. When I drove a transit bus, I had a blowout once, as I was leaving the curb from picking people up and I saw the blowout in my mirror. It scared the daylights out of me because if someone was standing right there, they would have been injured. Inside the bus it sounded like a shotgun blast. Very scary!

Glad your'e okay, Jolie and, yes, I have experienced a similar thing....on my trike.

Thanks. I'm sure you felt the adrenaline rushing by when you had that similar experience? It's weird because all those years I've been driving, I haven't had a close call like this to give me the goosebumps.

Whoa! What a close call! It happened to us too! One guy ran through the red light and almost hit us but lucky my DHB caught his eye and slammed the brake. What a damn close call! Damn that guy ran through! I don't know why people keep go thru red light not stop!!! UGGGGGGGGGGH!

No kidding, I wish the same thing too when people would be able to stop at the red light. Sometime, People would try to beat the "yellow" light before it turns red so that way they don't have to come to a full halt and to wait for it to turn green again. So, again, it takes patience at a traffic stoplight. Even though, it takes a little of time, it is worth the patience.

oh yeah, i did once happen. at intersection there four way stops anyway there is sort of blind side where is many pines and trees ok i check right side after that start oppose side right after start press pedal gas but somehow i notice then quick press brake......right side car is come into right dart by pass front of me. exact feeling same as your if i didn't hit press brake aftermath what happen??? maybe end up in the hospital or maybe my leg become limp for life time???dunno cannot tell right aftermath occur.

You're right - There's no telling what the aftermath could have been. I knew I would have been t-boned if I hadn't stopped immediately. As for the possible injuries, it could have been worse or I could have walked away with no marks on me. Who knows? I'd hate to think for the worse if it had actually happened. *shudders*

Just because the light turned green doesn't mean I hit the floorboard. I'm still looking to the left and right and still do while crossing.

When I do have to hit the brakes because someone wants to run, I let them go and say out loud, "Please, help yourself. Your accident (or ticket), not mine.":giggle:

I agree, Just because the light is green, it doesn't mean that you're automatically safe from the dangers and everyone else on the intersection are at a screeching halt. Normally, I'd just proceed if the light is green and go on as if nothing happened but today, it was different because the car was right in the corner of my eye and that is when I knew I had to do something. Either it's got to be in an accident or save my own life.

So Glad that you re okay!! Yes its happen to me too Even I was walked on a sidewalk and car was served then almost hit me!! :eek:

Yikes, That must've been scary especially when you were walking on the sidewalk. You're lucky nothing happened to you. :)

I'm very glad that you are in one piece. Wow that was a really close call. I get scared when I go thru intersections, knowing what will happen next. I almost did get in accident long time ago when a van was stopped in FRONT of me, didn't stop at the white line. I had to swerve around that van and I was going about 45 miles per hour and there was no room to stop.

Most of the accidents I've had were low speed ones. I haven't experienced high speed accidents. I wouldn't want that happen to me. *shudders*

Thanks. Yes, there are times that we are faced with situations that has no way out and sometime you got do as the best as you can to get out of that situation before it happens. It doesn't scare me when I go through the intersection but it scares me to think of what would have happened after it occured. So, Yeah, You always have to be kept on guard at all times when you drive.

I am soo glad your okay and you got to relax for bit before entereing the courthouse to take care of your car situation.. I know how you feel today coming home from a short assignment , I was supposed to be there to 1:30pm ended up leaving the site at 12pm. I did get a few things done, while I was coming home on the freeway driving as usually , all of a sudden a truck in front of me, his tire blow up! I saw all the pieces of tire flying all over the place, thinking wonderful , I am going to be in accident the traffic was fast and people behind me going about 80mph.. Luckily, nothing happened to me nor the other drivers. I did pull over to check my car if it got dented by the flying pieces of tire no thing was wrong with my car thank God! I did relax in the car for awhile before getting back on the freeway. Weird , close call for both of us.

:hug: Yeah, That is one thing I got done today to renew all that stuffs. It's a yearly thing that is required to do (Bleh, haha). Wow, I can't imagine having the tires blown front of you. That must've been scary as well. Did you swerve as well before the tires were about to fly over your car or what? I'm glad you are in one piece as well. It's weird that you and I had a close call today and both of us had got off work early today as well. What a day for us, huh?

I presume you got off at the next exit and then stopped to check. Besides, there's nothing you could have done to prevent the blowout. I've driven truck, but have only seen videos of tire blowouts. When I drove a transit bus, I had a blowout once, as I was leaving the curb from picking people up and I saw the blowout in my mirror. It scared the daylights out of me because if someone was standing right there, they would have been injured. Inside the bus it sounded like a shotgun blast. Very scary!

Yes, I pulled over and checked for any damages, my car was okay and so was I . I had the music and ac on in my car didn't hear the blast. It was all visual to me, watching the tire blow up in front of me, scared me thought for sure I would get a broken window or accident. Thank God , I was okay. Praise God for me and my sister, Jolie ..God protected us :)

Thanks. I'm sure you felt the adrenaline rushing by when you had that similar experience? It's weird because all those years I've been driving, I haven't had a close call like this to give me the goosebumps.

No kidding, I wish the same thing too when people would be able to stop at the red light. Sometime, People would try to beat the "yellow" light before it turns red so that way they don't have to come to a full halt and to wait for it to turn green again. So, again, it takes patience at a traffic stoplight. Even though, it takes a little of time, it is worth the patience.

You're right - There's no telling what the aftermath could have been. I knew I would have been t-boned if I hadn't stopped immediately. As for the possible injuries, it could have been worse or I could have walked away with no marks on me. Who knows? I'd hate to think for the worse if it had actually happened. *shudders*

I agree, Just because the light is green, it doesn't mean that you're automatically safe from the dangers and everyone else on the intersection are at a screeching halt. Normally, I'd just proceed if the light is green and go on as if nothing happened but today, it was different because the car was right in the corner of my eye and that is when I knew I had to do something. Either it's got to be in an accident or save my own life.

Yikes, That must've been scary especially when you were walking on the sidewalk. You're lucky nothing happened to you. :)

Thanks. Yes, there are times that we are faced with situations that has no way out and sometime you got do as the best as you can to get out of that situation before it happens. It doesn't scare me when I go through the intersection but it scares me to think of what would have happened after it occured. So, Yeah, You always have to be kept on guard at all times when you drive.

:hug: Yeah, That is one thing I got done today to renew all that stuffs. It's a yearly thing that is required to do (Bleh, haha). Wow, I can't imagine having the tires blown front of you. That must've been scary as well. Did you swerve as well before the tires were about to fly over your car or what? I'm glad you are in one piece as well. It's weird that you and I had a close call today and both of us had got off work early today as well. What a day for us, huh?

Yes, I know what a day for both of us. I am thankful and praised Him for our lives protected by Him.

Oh wow Jo... ya had a close call.. I have had a few of them.. bllahh... I do remmy one time I was driving in the little city for shopping some time ago, a car did zoom in front of me ... without signaling to turn right or whatever..and just simply zoom in too tight.... I was like grrrr and shook my hand at the driver.. oy...

Anymore they;ll have to put down crossing gates like they do at railroad tracks to keep people from running red lights. might be costly but it would save lives.

Good Heaven!

Jo! Man, I am glad u okay!! U were very lucky not to get hurt or badly like that if it was that happened! Similar like mine that was so close call but actually, more like it was just me!! lol U see, after my accident last time, remmy that my last topic... ok well.. just few days ago, my mother and I were on way to the store for food... I was just driving and just then out of my right eye (even though my left eye is blind couldn't see very well but my right eye can see to the left pretty good sharp) came a truck coming up from umm Safeway to get across onto other side of lane, know I mean? Ok, well the driver came right up at me... as I startely (sp? geez know that word but forgot spell! blah) to see it my heart was stopped for a moment as well as my mother with her eyes so damn wide... as I keep drove on like nothing happened and I then finally let out my breathe! Damn, nearly had me heart attack!! Geez... cuz of my last car accident which happened to be abt 3 weesk ago and yet still jumpy!! GRR lol... that was sort of close call for me lol but that driver knows just turn away from me onto center lane before can come into other lane... know I mean? Gosh, I am not sure if u guys can undy this or not!! lol Sorry lousy english!

But still JO I am glad u okay, tho!!! That can be scary!

I'm real glad you're okay, :hug: that was some close call. :Ohno:

Back