A Close Call

Whew! Glad you're OK!

oh wow what a so close call it can be so scary i know i am glad you are allright :hug: whew

Whoa Jolie! I am glad that you are ok now after that frightning ordeal and still is in one piece. There must be a guardian angel who is watching you and you can thank a lucky star. ;)

Glad your allright. yeah telling me something about it, I had a close call last week too. Took me all day to let that feeling go away.

Jazzy, scary feeling glad you are ok too.

Glad u are ok! Whew!

Yea, I had a very very close call like that in Boston when I was doing my internship there. I was at the intersection line waiting for the red light to turn green and just happened I got a page from my friend so I picked up my pager to read the message. I responded and then when I was done, I looked up and ooops the light had turned green so as I was ready to let my foot off the brake, a car came whizzing by from the eastbound lane (I think I was either in the northbound or southbound lane) at such an incredibily high speed and just completely blowed thru the red light on his/her side. I just kept my foot on the brake for like 2 mins totally dumbfounded realizing that if I didnt check my pager, I would have been tboned big time.

That happened to two of my brother's friends (a couple) 10 years ago, in fact the 10 year anniversary of their death is next month Wow!!! Anyways, they were on their way to work, waiting at a red light and the light turned green so they proceeded to cross the intersection...unfortunately a drunk driver going like at 90 mph ran the red light from his side and t-boned them. Yes, the couple was killed not the drunk driver. Happened at around 1 PM on a Friday afternoon in AZ. I will never forget the day that I found out about them..everyone in the Deaf community was in total shock for a long time. I am sure some ADers here know who I am talking about. I cant believe it will be 10 years in a few weeks. It took my brother a long time to recover cuz they were his childhood friends from the deaf school.

Last edited:
Wow that was a scary close call :hug: Glad your OK.. being t-boned would have been a lot worse. Being hit on the side would be a disaster waiting to happen. Thankful that it was just a clipping instead of impact. I'd be scared and worried to death if you get hurt badly. Thankful your all unscathed... it's always crazy out there with drivers always in hurry and drive too fast and being reckless with the red lights.

Glad your all safe in one piece *smooches*

wow, i'm glad you're ok.... *HUGS* I hate when those things happen.. geez....

Oh wow Jo... ya had a close call.. I have had a few of them.. bllahh... I do remmy one time I was driving in the little city for shopping some time ago, a car did zoom in front of me ... without signaling to turn right or whatever..and just simply zoom in too tight.... I was like grrrr and shook my hand at the driver.. oy...

I know how that feels. I felt like I wanted to wrangle the driver's neck, lol. I'm glad you are ok as well.

Jo! Man, I am glad u okay!! U were very lucky not to get hurt or badly like that if it was that happened! Similar like mine that was so close call but actually, more like it was just me!! lol U see, after my accident last time, remmy that my last topic... ok well.. just few days ago, my mother and I were on way to the store for food... I was just driving and just then out of my right eye (even though my left eye is blind couldn't see very well but my right eye can see to the left pretty good sharp) came a truck coming up from umm Safeway to get across onto other side of lane, know I mean? Ok, well the driver came right up at me... as I startely (sp? geez know that word but forgot spell! blah) to see it my heart was stopped for a moment as well as my mother with her eyes so damn wide... as I keep drove on like nothing happened and I then finally let out my breathe! Damn, nearly had me heart attack!! Geez... cuz of my last car accident which happened to be abt 3 weesk ago and yet still jumpy!! GRR lol... that was sort of close call for me lol but that driver knows just turn away from me onto center lane before can come into other lane... know I mean? Gosh, I am not sure if u guys can undy this or not!! lol Sorry lousy english!

But still JO I am glad u okay, tho!!! That can be scary!

It's ok. I understood you perfectly. You're fine. I'm glad that nothing happened to you again. It's normal to be a bit jumpy after the recent accident you had. It takes a while to return to the normal feeling of driving after a major accident. Some people don't recover from it but some people do.

I remember I had an accident that happened 11 years ago. It was raining that day and the truck front of me stopped so quickly before I could have a chance to swerve to avoid him. It was already too late because my car was hydroplaning. My car hood and grill was damaged, luckily it could have been totaled but it wasn't. After the accident occurred, I learned why the truck stopped so quickly. It was because there were 2 cars front of that truck that had got rear-ended as well. It could have been a 4 vehicles piled up but it didn't happen. It just happened to have 2 separate accidents on the same location. So, ever since, I had a fear of driving in the rain. I get tense and edgy when I drive in the rain. I hate driving in the rain. As of now, I'm starting to lighten up and am able to handle it a bit better by driving in the rain.

Glad your allright. yeah telling me something about it, I had a close call last week too. Took me all day to let that feeling go away.

I'm glad you're all right too. That's got to be scary too. Even though it happened yesterday for me, I'm still feeling freaky about it because I haven't really let it go completely. It's like my brain is replaying the moment over and over again. Today, my driving mood was a bit tense every time when I attempt to cross an intersection.

Glad u are ok! Whew!

Yea, I had a very very close call like that in Boston when I was doing my internship there. I was at the intersection line waiting for the red light to turn green and just happened I got a page from my friend so I picked up my pager to read the message. I responded and then when I was done, I looked up and ooops the light had turned green so as I was ready to let my foot off the brake, a car came whizzing by from the eastbound lane (I think I was either in the northbound or southbound lane) at such an incredibily high speed and just completely blowed thru the red light on his/her side. I just kept my foot on the brake for like 2 mins totally dumbfounded realizing that if I didnt check my pager, I would have been tboned big time.

That happened to two of my brother's friends (a couple) 10 years ago, in fact the 10 year anniversary of their death is next month Wow!!! Anyways, they were on their way to work, waiting at a red light and the light turned green so they proceeded to cross the intersection...unfortunately a drunk driver going like at 90 mph ran the red light from his side and t-boned them. Yes, the couple was killed not the drunk driver. Happened at around 1 PM on a Friday afternoon in AZ. I will never forget the day that I found out about them..everyone in the Deaf community was in total shock for a long time. I am sure some ADers here know who I am talking about. I cant believe it will be 10 years in a few weeks. It took my brother a long time to recover cuz they were his childhood friends from the deaf school.

Wow, Shel - Thank goodness, nothing has happened. It's a good thing you were picking up your pager in time. Seems like a coincidence, eh? I felt the same way too by being so dumbfounded and somewhat in a shock. It just does the wonders.

It's horrible to have something like that to happen to your brother's friends and as well for everyone else who got killed any accidents like this. I just wish those drunk drivers would STAY at home and drink rather than going out and getting their asses drunk. :rifle: Maybe it's just me but I have noticed that drunk drivers usually walks away just fine from the accident and the sober ones are the ones that usually gets killed or hurt.

It happened to a friend of mine and her husband 3 years ago. They had 3 beautiful children. One night, They were going to pick up the oldest daughter at a babysitter's house from the grocery store. It was like around 7 or 8ish. The 2nd daughter and the son who was 3 months old at that time was with my friend and her hubby. On the way, They were going up the hill and that drunk driver was driving in their lane going up hill from the other side. They were collided head-on. Their van was really messed up and it was totaled. The drunk driver was killed instantly. The sad thing about this is, the baby son who was 3 months old had to be air lifted to University of KY Hospital. It turned out that the baby's brain fluid was swelling up the brain. The doctors tried to drain it as much as they could and was put on life support. My friend had to make a decision at the end and decided to let her son be off the life support. It was a sad and a somber funeral. I had never seen anything like that because when I went to the funeral, I saw a small casket with the baby in it. It was so heart wrenching cuz I could not even imagine how a mother could lose a child like this. I can't even imagine losing my children like this at all too.

Wow that was a scary close call :hug: Glad your OK.. being t-boned would have been a lot worse. Being hit on the side would be a disaster waiting to happen. Thankful that it was just a clipping instead of impact. I'd be scared and worried to death if you get hurt badly. Thankful your all unscathed... it's always crazy out there with drivers always in hurry and drive too fast and being reckless with the red lights.

Glad your all safe in one piece *smooches*

:hug: True, It could have been worse. Indeed, We all have to keep an eye out and to be alert at all times. Thank you for the comfort when I needed it at the most.

Lucia, Jillio, Cheri, Reba, Moonflower, Koala and OldNavyGirl -- :ty:

Last edited:
Yeah we have had close calls all the times.. blah.. and I do shake my head at what the other drivers have been up to with their zealous drivings and etc... oy vey...

Ocean...
"I am soo glad your okay and you got to relax for bit before entereing the courthouse to take care of your car situation.. I know how you feel today coming home from a short assignment , I was supposed to be there to 1:30pm ended up leaving the site at 12pm. I did get a few things done, while I was coming home on the freeway driving as usually , all of a sudden a truck in front of me, his tire blow up! I saw all the pieces of tire flying all over the place, thinking wonderful , I am going to be in accident the traffic was fast and people behind me going about 80mph.. Luckily, nothing happened to me nor the other drivers. I did pull over to check my car if it got dented by the flying pieces of tire no thing was wrong with my car thank God! I did relax in the car for awhile before getting back on the freeway. Weird , close call for both of us."

That was really unnerving for ya to have to deal with... ya are lucky ya didnt get hit with major pieces of the tires or even the concerete road... who knows if that piece would have been hurled at the windowshield at a faster rate and break thru... I have had a tire blow out on me before.. the van I was driving last year with my mom and dad on the way to a party... I didnt even know the tire was blown out till dad told me to move over to the shoulder area and we got out to look.. and the back right tire was flattened.. had to replace the tire and go back home and we could leave via the truck....so it could have been a tire fire for all I know.. but lucky my dad did know something was wrong .. ya indeed are lucky ya didnt get hit really good with that blown tire from the truck...

Anymore they;ll have to put down crossing gates like they do at railroad tracks to keep people from running red lights. might be costly but it would save lives.

That's not a bad idea, Dixie. I'd also go along with having a police officer standing in a booth in the middle of the intersection directing traffic, complete with a blowing whistle and waving arms to let each car when it is their turn.

Whoa Jolie, thankful nothing very serious accident happened and lucky it was an little clipping, plus you are also still alive. I'm glad you are ok. :) hugz

Oceanblue, I'm glad you are ok too, thanks goodness no damages to your car. hugz :)

I bet it was so scary to get close call, Jolie and Oceanblue.

I know how that feels. I felt like I wanted to wrangle the driver's neck, lol. I'm glad you are ok as well.

Wow, Shel - Thank goodness, nothing has happened. It's a good thing you were picking up your pager in time. Seems like a coincidence, eh? I felt the same way too by being so dumbfounded and somewhat in a shock. It just does the wonders.

It's horrible to have something like that to happen to your brother's friends and as well for everyone else who got killed any accidents like this. I just wish those drunk drivers would STAY at home and drink rather than going out and getting their asses drunk. :rifle: Maybe it's just me but I have noticed that drunk drivers usually walks away just fine from the accident and the sober ones are the ones that usually gets killed or hurt.

It happened to a friend of mine and her husband 3 years ago. They had 3 beautiful children. One night, They were going to pick up the oldest daughter at a babysitter's house from the grocery store. It was like around 7 or 8ish. The 2nd daughter and the son who was 3 months old at that time was with my friend and her hubby. On the way, They were going up the hill and that drunk driver was driving in their lane going up hill from the other side. They were collided head-on. Their van was really messed up and it was totaled. The drunk driver was killed instantly. The sad thing about this is, the baby son who was 3 months old had to be air lifted to University of KY Hospital. It turned out that the baby's brain fluid was swelling up the brain. The doctors tried to drain it as much as they could and was put on life support. My friend had to make a decision at the end and decided to let her son be off the life support. It was a sad and a somber funeral. I had never seen anything like that because when I went to the funeral, I saw a small casket with the baby in it. It was so heart wrenching cuz I could not even imagine how a mother could lose a child like this. I can't even imagine losing my children like this at all too.

:

I cant imagine the grief that your friend went thru with her baby. I dont know what I would do if I was in her shoes. That is my worst ever fear. :rifle: to the drunk drivers. Bless the baby. :(

Jolie,

Just came across this here thread. Glad your ok. I always find now since having SEVERAL accidents that were not even my fault! that I am becoming a very careful driver. My husband is like Kim? you gonna go? lol.

Is it just me or are these drivers getting worse and more unattentful when driving?

I have been rearended 3 times with the last three years! I have also had both of our cars torn up within 4 days of owning them due to a drunk driver. Our cars were parked when that happened. And I have had one head on low speed collision, because the other driver was supposed to turn into Wal-Mart and I turned to follow him in and at the last moment pulled his steering wheel my way hard so as not to go into Walmart hitting my car. He got the ticket but still...

You really really have to be extra careful when driving now a days. Im starting to believe these drivers graduated from Stevie Wonder's driving school!

OB7 glad you are ok too hon. Unfortunately there is a high number of blow outs among truck drivers simply because they use RETREADS and not new tires. They do this to save costs, but it also causes hundreds of accidents.

So whenever someone is out there please remember it's not you that you gotta watch out for it is the other drivers.

Whoa Jolie, thankful nothing very serious accident happened and lucky it was an little clipping, plus you are also still alive. I'm glad you are ok. :) hugz

Oceanblue, I'm glad you are ok too, thanks goodness no damages to your car. hugz :)

I cant imagine the grief that your friend went thru with her baby. I dont know what I would do if I was in her shoes. That is my worst ever fear. :rifle: to the drunk drivers. Bless the baby. :(

Shel90 that's a heartbreaking story you posted, losing your friends in an accident due to drunk drivers. That's so devestating its important to tell family and friends "I love you" , bec live is soo short. Shel90 , I remember your friend being in the accident losing her newborn baby. I don't know them, but my friend in KY does and we did go to the services sad moment. Yes, Bless the baby

Jolie,

Just came across this here thread. Glad your ok. I always find now since having SEVERAL accidents that were not even my fault! that I am becoming a very careful driver. My husband is like Kim? you gonna go? lol.

Is it just me or are these drivers getting worse and more unattentful when driving?

I have been rearended 3 times with the last three years! I have also had both of our cars torn up within 4 days of owning them due to a drunk driver. Our cars were parked when that happened. And I have had one head on low speed collision, because the other driver was supposed to turn into Wal-Mart and I turned to follow him in and at the last moment pulled his steering wheel my way hard so as not to go into Walmart hitting my car. He got the ticket but still...

You really really have to be extra careful when driving now a days. Im starting to believe these drivers graduated from Stevie Wonder's driving school!

OB7 glad you are ok too hon. Unfortunately there is a high number of blow outs among truck drivers simply because they use RETREADS and not new tires. They do this to save costs, but it also causes hundreds of accidents.

So whenever someone is out there please remember it's not you that you gotta watch out for it is the other drivers.

Thanks SG and Bear,

It was a weird day for me and Jolie especially we know each other in "real life" with a similiar situation to happen to us both of us being let out early from work and having a close call.

Bear,
Yes, we do need to keep a look out on the other drivers so many speeders and road rage in our society. We must be careful of our surroundings and hoping to be safe a possible when we go out on the road.

Oh, wow ! That was really a close call ! I am glad ur still alive and tell this story with us. :hug:

Aww I can see your man worried over ya, Jolie ~ :lol: So such a sweet gentleman ! :P

Ive had a lot of close calls lately in town. Drivers about to make a turn as I pass by so close I could have been hit. It pisses me off esp drivers on cellphones not paying damn attention to what going on. I get pretty nervous when I see other drivers about to enter the road I am on from the driveways since my last wreck 15 years ago. (T-boned a car turning left to enter the road)

Jolie good to know u doing okay. Hope u be pretty careful next time.

Yes there is a point for that.. I have to wonder why do drivers have to do text messaging or being on the cell phones while driving?? that is dangerous as it could cause careless accidents or even deaths if not paying attention to where the drivers are driving and etc.. I wonder if there are laws that outlaws that kind of thing going on?

I am glad that you are okay. Whew!

:ty:

:ty: SG You know, If the car was totaled, It can always be replaced but a life cannot even be replaced at all. You can replace anything you want to, fix a damaged wall that was backed up by a car or anything else but not a life.

Thanks. Yeah, It was hard enough just to watch my friend going through that. I kept thinking what it would be like to be in her shoes. Of course, When I ponder about that, it is not the same thing as of having the actual experience.

Jolie,

Thanks, Bear. I agree. It's not at times when everything is in harmony when you drive. There's bound to be mishaps along the road but you nailed it - It's not you that you have to watch out but for other drivers. Speaking of those accidents you had in the past few years, I'm glad you are still alive and around as well.

You were asking if it is just you or have those drivers got any worse or became inattentive? I'd have to say - Unfortunately, It bites but yes. There's a lot more drivers out there with cell phones, pagers, and all other different electronic devices that are hand-held. And with that, I have noticed the drivers out there are becoming lax when it comes to uphold the traffic laws. Sure, there are hundreds of traffic laws but many of them, unfortunately are not enforced as it should be.

Oh, wow ! That was really a close call ! I am glad ur still alive and tell this story with us. :hug:

Aww I can see your man worried over ya, Jolie ~ :lol: So such a sweet gentleman ! :P

:ty:

Ha Ha, Yeah, He is the best thing that has happened to me. ;)

Ive had a lot of close calls lately in town. Drivers about to make a turn as I pass by so close I could have been hit. It pisses me off esp drivers on cellphones not paying damn attention to what going on. I get pretty nervous when I see other drivers about to enter the road I am on from the driveways since my last wreck 15 years ago. (T-boned a car turning left to enter the road)

Jolie good to know u doing okay. Hope u be pretty careful next time.

Gee, being t-boned is not fun. I agree, I hate it when these drivers are on the cell phones. I've had my share of being rear ended by a driver who was on the cell phone. Thank god it was a minor accident. It was during the rush hour and of course, the traffic was jammed up from bumper to bumper in Louisville. I was on my way to work on that morning. The traffic was moving very slow at least around 10-20 mph, stopping on and off. To make it worse, I was 9 months pregnant at that time. When the driver rear-ended me, He immediately came out and made sure I was ok. The only damage to the car was the bumper. But yet, It made me so infuriated because if the traffic was moving at a higher speed, it could have been a lot worse. Man, my neck was sore for the rest of the day.

Speaking of entering the traffic, I usually am alert when I enter the traffic either when I turn left or right. The only thing I hate is when I have to merge with other vehicles on the interstate, especially when the traffic is already moving at a higher speed.

Yes there is a point for that.. I have to wonder why do drivers have to do text messaging or being on the cell phones while driving?? that is dangerous as it could cause careless accidents or even deaths if not paying attention to where the drivers are driving and etc.. I wonder if there are laws that outlaws that kind of thing going on?

Yes, It is dangerous for obvious reasons as you know. There are several cities across the USA has already passed a cell phone ban for those drivers. I think it's a good thing but, just how well it can be enforced? There are thousands and thousands of drivers who has pagers, cell phones and different kinds of mobile devices. So, It'll be pretty hard to catch them at all times.

I googled it up and found a link that shows which countries bans the use of cell phones while driving. On the bottom of that website shows which state in USA bans cell phone use while driving. Here it is - List of countries that ban cellphone use while driving

Back