Your first old post. I did call 911 through Relay Service through my TTY many times. It was allow any 911 calls.

The police suggest me to dial 911 on phone hand and don't use speak. Let 911 telecommunication system find a track where you do live in location. It depend on area.

I did it once time. Police did show it up.
lumbingmi

911 calls

With tty being obsolete these days, I noticed that relay service do not allow any 911 calls.

Suppose if you only have pc and/or cell phones (assuming you re deaf and can't call) , what will you do if you have to call 911?

Hmm... I thought the emergency department could track down your mobile phone?

A friend of mine accidently dialled 000 on her mobile phone (whilst it was keyboard unlocked), and then the emergency department called back and told her to put her phone on lock next time! LOL.

they can for the most part.

its all a matter of where you are and if they give a shit :P

There is new called e911 coming up soon once 10 phone digits set up ready... assume by early 2009 unless screwy Sorenson bows to the new FCC rule. They better be!

There is new called e911 coming up soon once 10 phone digits set up ready... assume by early 2009 unless screwy Sorenson bows to the new FCC rule. They better be!

Really? Where did you hear it from? :hmm:

Yeah, I know Australia has 000 and also 106 for TTY users.

I was curious about what WOULD happen if an Australian tried calling 911 from their mobile phone or landline. I think I've heard of that happening before, but not too sure.

It'd be a lot better if they have internet for 911 so I just go for support live chat and tell them my address and such so they can send whatever down here immediately. That'd would be a lot easier, even I have a cell phone that has internet so either way if the fire set on the house. I am sure that I will still have the cell phone with me because since I carry the cell phone with me all the time in my pocket so I just go to 911 on the internet on my cell phone and type it out to them.

I doubt that the department care enough to develop a special device for hard of hearing or deaf to use the internet on the computer or cell phone for emergency situation.

In some parts of Ontario in Canada, the 911 emergency services are supported with TTY. When you call 911 with your TTY, just type fire, police or ambulance in reply to their answer. The emergency dispatcher will simply send one of their services to your home.

This is an interesting thread to read. I have always worried about what I would do if I needed to call 911. I am in the US. I just told myself that I would dial 911 and just keep repeating my name and address over and over until someone comes to help me. I guess it would work for those of us who can use our voice, I realize not everyone can do this.

Back