877 new snowfall records set or tied in the USA in the last week

still on that? oye oye! tapeworm in your bottom? Let me help you remember - it is you asked me to describe the pictures but I find it hypocritical of you to demand so when you do not do it on your part - hence... deafskeptic's scoffed post at you :)

now are you still going to harp on it or are you going to be a strongman and move on? :cool2:

I have already complied numerous times. You haven't. That's the difference between you and I. I've stepped up to the plate. If my descriptions are inadequate, I'll wait until a DBer request for more descriptions and not from anybody else. Sorry. I don't deal with hypocrites who act like that and use DBers as his pawns.

I have already complied numerous times. You haven't. That's the difference between you and I. I've stepped up to the plate. If my descriptions are inadequate, I'll wait until a DBer request for more descriptions and not from anybody else. Sorry. I don't deal with hypocrites who act like that and use DBers as his pawns.

so would you like a warm bottle of milk?

Here's an interesting arctic condition right now, folks. Go and check NOAA Climate Predication Center Daily Arctic Oscillation Index and see a graph.
CPC - Monitoring & Data: Daily Arctic Oscillation Index

The graph shows a timeline from Sept 2009 to end of December 2009 using values between 4 to -4 with zero being the middle neutral value. For the month of September it had postive values that went from 2 down to 0 and up to 3 that look like a "U" shape indicating a weak arctic pressure system. We had warm spells during that time. Then from October to November it reversed itself going from 0 to -2 to .-0.5 to -3 then to 0 which look like two broad downward spikes. That period we saw record snow and temperature for that month as well when arctic cold spilled deeper into the United States. And then from Nov to Dec it briefly spiked up to 2 for a several days and went to -0.5 for several days and then remained around 1 for two weeks. Again, we had some slight warming spells for the month of November. And now the biggest plunge can be seen from December to January of 2010 where neg numbers plunged from -0.5 all the way down to -4 and stayed at that level since then (or very close to -4). We all know that December was a record month on cold and snowfall where arctic temperatures spilled deep into the United States where it mixed with advancing moisture producing snow and ice. Even right now we see Texas getting a lot of snow right now ( Intellicast - Current Radar in United States). The arctic cold also spilled deep into Copenhagen and even to Germany and south of it seeing record snow and cold as well. What that graph is telling us is to expect more cold to last longer and deeper into the United States. This also mean a likelihood of more snow in the forecast as moisture moves across the United States in waves.

This also means it's a setup for an increased on Arctic sea ice maximum. Some say around March will show the biggest increase in sea ice extent in several years or so wiping out all previous loss of sea ice by end of next year. We'll wait and see. Already arctic air is spilling deep all across the northern latitudes on Earth.

From NSIDC:

The Arctic Oscillation refers to opposing atmospheric pressure patterns in northern middle and high latitudes.

The oscillation exhibits a “negative phase” with relatively high pressure over the polar region and low pressure at midlatitudes (about 45 degrees North), and a “positive phase” in which the pattern is reversed. In the positive phase, higher pressure at midlatitudes drives ocean storms farther north, and changes in the circulation pattern bring wetter weather to Alaska, Scotland and Scandinavia, as well as drier conditions to the western United States and the Mediterranean. In the positive phase, frigid winter air does not extend as far into the middle of North America as it would during the negative phase of the oscillation. This keeps much of the United States east of the Rocky Mountains warmer than normal, but leaves Greenland and Newfoundland colder than usual. Weather patterns in the negative phase are in general “opposite” to those of the positive phase, as illustrated below.

Over most of the past century, the Arctic Oscillation alternated between its positive and negative phases. Starting in the 1970s, however, the oscillation has tended to stay in the positive phase, causing lower than normal arctic air pressure and higher than normal temperatures in much of the United States and northern Eurasia.

The Arctic Oscillation and Arctic Weather Patterns

Another topic swirling around the toilet bowl of insults....

What may throw an additional monkey wrench into this cooling phase with even more cooling is to see a major Phillipean volcano about to erupt sending ash, sulfur, and other particulates into the atmosphere. Materials spewed forth would eventually circle the globe and dim incoming rays and see cooler temps as it once did with Mt. Pinatubo that saw temps cooled globally for a few years. Spewing ash in large enough quantity of materials into the atmosphere can have almost an immediate impact on global temperature.

Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology - Mayon Volcano Bullertin 17

Climate still reeling from Pinatubo blast - Mt. Pinatubo | Science News | Find Articles at BNET

Hmmm....remember the Arctic Oscillation I linked about the low values?

What is facing the major population centers of the northern hemisphere is unlike anything that we have seen since the global warming debate got to the absurd level it is now, which essentially has been there is no doubt about all this. For cold of a variety not seen in over 25 years in a large scale is about to engulf the major energy consuming areas of the northern Hemisphere. The first 15 days of the opening of the New Year will be the coldest, population weighted, north of 30 north world wide in over 25 years in my opinion.

AccuWeather.com - Joe Bastardi European Weather Blog

Linking this way is the only way to highlight the statement.

Added: "north of 30 north" is approximatelly from the very southern states of the US northward in terms of latitude. (30 degrees north)

Hmm, remember about the low Arctic Oscillation index in post #24? Looks like it's coming true already.

Britain facing one of the coldest winters in 100 years, experts predict
Britain is bracing itself for one of the coldest winters for a century with temperatures hitting minus 16 degrees Celsius, forecasters have warned.

They predicted no let up in the freezing snap until at least mid-January, with snow, ice and severe frosts dominating.

And the likelihood is that the second half of the month will be even colder.

Weather patterns were more like those in the late 1970s, experts said, while Met Office figures released on Monday are expected to show that the country is experiencing the coldest winter for up to 25 years.

On New Year's Day 10 extreme weather warnings were in place, with heavy snow expected in northern England and Scotland.

Despite New Year celebrations passing off mostly unaffected by the weather, drivers in parts of the country, particularly areas of Northumberland, Cumbria and the Scottish Highlands, were warned not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

The continued freezing temperatures did not signal bad news for everyone however. CairnGorm Mountain said it has had its best Christmas holiday season in 14 years.

With heavy snow in the area, the resort said that over a four-day period following Christmas Day it has had more than 8,000 skiers and snowboarders using its runs - including 800 on New Year's Eve.

Over 15,000 skiers have used the resort since the start of December, compared to 2,000 last year.

A spokesman for the Met Office said: “It is certainly a while since we had cold weather like this and there isn’t any sign of any milder weather on the way.”

Considerable amounts of “showery snow” is expected over Scotland and eastern England over the coming days, he said, whilst the rest of the United Kingdom would remains dry but very cold.

Britain facing one of the coldest winters in 100 years, experts predict - Telegraph

Not only in Britain and Europe but in the United States, too.

New year starts off with record-setting cold
For those who thought Saturday morning was extremely cold, here’s confirmation from the National Weather Service: The 33 below zero reading at Fargo’s Hector International Airport set a record.
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/264613/

1977-style January cold pattern has arrived
1977-style January cold pattern has arrived

From what I understand, we're experiencing colder weather in certain areas of the world due to El Nino...or is it El Nina? either way, what we're seeing colder in certain areas of the world is due to that. Dry and cold... Not a die hard weather person here, but I do watch for potential whiteouts so I don't bother to commute, considering that I live in the "middle of nowhere."

Yea, it feels like this winter is off to a very very cold start..usually it is around 40 degrees in Dec but it hasnt gone over 35 degrees in a while.

Yea, it feels like this winter is off to a very very cold start..usually it is around 40 degrees in Dec but it hasnt gone over 35 degrees in a while.

There's still snow from 2 weeks ago where I live. I'm hoping it'll get warmer soon.

Back