6-year-old takes family car after missing bus

Been there, done that at @4-5 yrs old no charges filed. car totaled. still alive. *waving*

QFT.

The whole reason why I am so adamant on considering other options a possibility, because something similar but not as extreme happened to me when I was in Kindergarten.

When school was over, what I was usually supposed to do was go to after-school daycare or whatever, because my parents worked full time during the day and did not get home till 6-7PM on those days. I was 5 at that time, and what I did was, after school I don't remember why I wanted to go home, but I took the schoolbus home and the school wasn't even aware. They later phoned my parents saying that I was missing.

Long story short, I don't think it was my parents fault that I did something like that, would definitely not even approve to be fined $5000 and them being placed in custody for that.

don't forget that kids tend to go to bus stop without adult supervision because they go with friends along the way. If the child is alone all the way to bus stop.... yes you need parental supervision.

Maybe the kid was just late? :dunno:

QFT.

The whole reason why I am so adamant on considering other options a possibility, because something similar but not as extreme happened to me when I was in Kindergarten.

When school was over, what I was usually supposed to do was go to after-school daycare or whatever, because my parents worked full time during the day and did not get home till 6-7PM on those days. I was 5 at that time, and what I did was, after school I don't remember why I wanted to go home, but I took the schoolbus home and the school wasn't even aware. They later phoned my parents saying that I was missing.

Long story short, I don't think it was my parents fault that I did something like that.

Your parents were not being irresponsible. They were at work, and had arranged for you to have supervision after school.

don't forget that kids tend to go to bus stop without adult supervision because they go with friends along the way. If the child is alone all the way to bus stop.... yes you need parental supervision.

Maybe the kid was just late? :dunno:

And whose responsibility is it to make sure a 6 year old gets to the bus stop on time? We are not talking about a 15 year old...this was a 6 year old child.

And whose responsibility is it to make sure a 6 year old gets to the bus stop on time? We are not talking about a 15 year old...this was a 6 year old child.

you'll see plenty of those in NYC... although I don't know why I'm incapable of estimating the age of little child. I don't know what's 6 years old is supposed to be like because kids nowadays are confusing. I don't know how the hell a handful of 12 years old kids these days are bigger and taller like Shaq. Such a drastic difference from my old time...

:dunno:

Perhaps he tried. If drugs and or alcohol were involved, he may not have been able to wake his mother. Or, there is also the possiblity that he did wake her, and she did not take any interest in getting him to school, and simply went back to sleep. And the fact that he was allowed to play GTA is just one more example of a total lack of supervision on his parent's behalf.

Or he could have been afraid to wake them up thinking he would get in trouble.

Something similar happened to a friend of mine about ten years ago. She was taking a shower when her six year old son and four year old daughter took her keys and left the apartment. The son started the car and immediately crashed into another car on the parking lot. The police found it humorous, but the mother's blood ran cold, since her daughter came close to being run over. To make a long story short, the owner of the car that was hit declined to press charges, as did the police, and I installed latches high up the doors so the children could not escape again.

Evidently, we need to update our warnings/advice:
Never talk to strangers, always look both ways when crossing the road, say thank you and excuse me to be polite, give up your seat for the elderly, don't drive cars until you're 15, and don't EVER EVER shoot anyone!! Or else I'll tell your father!

Don't you wish all your students were this anxious to get to school?:giggle:

If the kids were placed in protective custody, it doesn't bode well for the parent's case. They don't remove kids without evidence of neglect as a rule.

Better than a 6 year old shooting their babysitter up! :shock:

I'd rather have an eager-beaver child raring to go to school than a brooding child shooting everyone that PO's him off.

No hate mail... :hug: I love you.

Better than a 6 year old shooting their babysitter up! :shock:

I'd rather have an eager-beaver child raring to go to school than a brooding child shooting everyone that PO's him off.

No hate mail... :hug: I love you.

Agreed. But we don't know what charges may be filed against the parents of the 4 year old who shot his sitter.

Agreed. But we don't know what charges may be filed against the parents of the 4 year old who shot his sitter.

Yes, just feel so sad for what is going on.

Society has just changed too much way too fast.

Growing up in the 70's, things were safe. We were safe eating at our friends' place and having sleepovers. Now you need to have playdates & lunchdates to make sure things are a-okay.

I'm sorry but I think parents project their issues on their children and this is why children act out this way.

Growing up in the 70's, things were safe. We were safe eating at our friends' place and having sleepovers. Now you need to have playdates & lunchdates to make sure things are a-okay.

I'm sorry but I think parents project their issues on their children and this is why children act out this way.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more on this.

And, about the mother's sleepin' -- well, she didn't know that he was goin' to drive. She never thought that this game could cause him to drive. She've never dreamed like this - I mean, this typical young boy would dare to do that ? Of course, there's 2 choices that young boy could choose ... wake up her own mother or take the car and drive. He choses to drive.

the point is, this mother shouldn't have allowed her child to play Grand Theft Auto in the first place. the mother is lucky nothing worse happened to her son or anyone else for that matter.

I'm sorry but I think parents project their issues on their children and this is why children act out this way.

yes sad. my mom keeps telling me that she couldn't believe that in our old times were so easy than now. :tears: I really hate to make plans for playdates or lunchdates.

yes sad. my mom keeps telling me that she couldn't believe that in our old times were so easy than now. :tears: I really hate to make plans for playdates or lunchdates.

on the more positive note - kids have been more and more socialized with diverse population so playdates/lunchdates are good idea. in old time - you tend to stick with your own kind and view foreign students with hostility and neighborhoods used to be more homogeneous than now.... which may explains why it was safe at that time.

Sighhh... I dunno if this is relevant, but I am watching Breaking News about a shooting in a Phizer Complex not far from here. They are searching for the person who shot another person, AND ALL SCHOOLS IN THE AREA ARE IN LOCKDOWN. Isn't that overkill?

Sighhh... I dunno if this is relevant, but I am watching Breaking News about a shooting in a Phizer Complex not far from here. They are searching for the person who shot another person, AND ALL SCHOOLS IN THE AREA ARE IN LOCKDOWN. Isn't that overkill?

why not? he's a danger to all. schools are almost out at this hour. you don't want kids to be victim....

on the more positive note - kids have been more and more socialized with diverse population so playdates/lunchdates are good idea. in old time - you tend to stick with your own kind and view foreign students with hostility and neighborhoods used to be more homogeneous than now.... which may explains why it was safe at that time.

ha, in some way, SO true.

Back