6-year-old takes family car after missing bus

Oh, my goodness! He must be very intelligent young boy! And, he has his own strive, too. I :applause: him!

Note that I am not defending the parents at all, at best this is their own responsibility.

But I wanted to get this idea across:
Would you honor it if they worked night shifts? Or if they were actually sick? What if this was one of the few days she didn't get up and wanted to stay in bed, but her kid knew so he took the keys? Think about the parents defense dropping all other variables for a second.
Does that at least give them the credible acceptance that they made a slight mistake?

Because, I could see this easily happening to a majority of anyone else there in this world. Not everyone's going to be up for their kid during bus time, every single day, no matter how strict you want to respect that for ~200 days a year. The only difference was this kid stood out of the rest of his age, he got the keys and was pretty bold.

Though, that 14 year difference between their marriage: 40 and 26, feels quite steep and you can develop a generalization about that, like they're not made for each other. I could be completely wrong about this.

That actually happened to a kid I know. She is 5-6 years old also (kindergarten), deaf, and uses ASL primarily. One day, her grandmother, who was taking care of her, was taking a nap. And this girl was hungry but there was no food, so she took a few dollars out of her grandmother's purse, went outside, walked several blocks to the convenience store. Her uncle works there and saw her alone. So the uncle took her back to the grandmother's house. They asked her why she did that and she just said that she was hungry and didn't want to wake up the grandmother because she always gets angry...

Oh and she lives in the projects too.....

I just went up to her and simply said "You're awesome."

Why don't people realize that kids this age need supervision?

Wow wow wow.

Too much influence for the kid to drive, but he's got guts to know he missed the bus and he's got to get to school.

However I feel it's a bit unfair for the parents. What if they were sick with the flu? Works night shifts till 5AM? Sleeping in? Couldn't get up on time?

The kid didn't even tell his parents what he was attempting to do, as it states that she was still sleeping.

I understand that there's a 14 year difference between the husband and wife, but let's ignore that variable. Is that even fair to charge them $5000 over that?

One thing I forgot to add: GTA2-4 isn't made for kids under teenage years, that's one penalty for the parents. Except probably GTA1, that game had very little violence.

my thought exactly. This occurred just 61 miles east of Richmond. Richmond is poor and crime-infested. The town is rural area. What puzzles me is that why didn't the boy wake his mom like everybody else.... and me - "mommy.... mommy..... i missed the bus!" and somebody's right - GTA game IS NOT FOR KIDS especially for 6 years old! :mad2: but then.... maybe the father plays it.

:dunno:

Don't you wish all your students were this anxious to get to school?:giggle:

If the kids were placed in protective custody, it doesn't bode well for the parent's case. They don't remove kids without evidence of neglect as a rule.

I thought the same after making my post...I thought if the parents were innocently sleeping or other factors, then the kids wouldnt be taken away. Just need more info

my thought exactly. This occurred just 61 miles east of Richmond. Richmond is poor and crime-infested. The town is rural area. What puzzles me is that why didn't the boy wake his mom like everybody else.... and me - "mommy.... mommy..... i missed the bus!" and somebody's right - GTA game IS NOT FOR KIDS especially for 6 years old! :mad2: but then.... maybe the father plays it.

Another factor that may not help the parents too.

I thought the same after making my post...I thought if the parents were innocently sleeping or other factors, then the kids wouldnt be taken away. Just need more info

I hope they have a lawyer because they can easily lose their child.... even if it was perfectly innocent but this is commonplace. well hey - it happens to all of us. we're overworked and we're tired. economy's bad enough that we have to have 2-3 jobs. Many kids even at such young age are responsible enough to walk to school themselves to bus stops and not to talk to strangers. They do it themselves in NYC as well... taking subways.

Parents learned their lesson. No reason to take away their child over this unless they are clearly irresponsible.

Note that I am not defending the parents at all, at best this is their own responsibility.

But I wanted to get this idea across:
Would you honor it if they worked night shifts? Or if they were actually sick? What if this was one of the few days she didn't get up and wanted to stay in bed, but her kid knew so he took the keys? Think about the parents defense dropping all other variables for a second.
Does that at least give them the credible accepting that they made a slight mistake?

Because, I could see this easily happening to a majority of anyone else there in this world. Not everyone's going to be up for their kid during bus time, every single day, no matter how strict you want to respect that for ~200 days a year. The only difference was this kid stood out of the rest of his age, he got the keys and was pretty bold.

Though, that 14 year difference between their marriage: 40 and 26, feels quite steep and you can develop a generalization about that, like they're not made for each other. I could be completely wrong about this.

If you work night shift, and are resposnible for a 6 year old child, you sleep after they are safely on the school bus.

If you work night shift, and are resposnible for a 6 year old child, you sleep after they are safely on the school bus.

sadly enough.... easy to say, hard to do... on everyday basis.

I managed to do it, and I was a single parent. It is not that difficult.

What if the mother had that sleeping disorder where she falls asleep right off the bat? Just throwing all the possibilities out there...

My gawd!

You do not allow a six year old to be at a bus stop alone in the first place.

A few minutes of the parents time sick or not sick is all it takes. Sounds to me more like lazy parents that does not want to get their sorry asses up to care for their children.

The parents also had a four year old. Was that child running around unsupervised? Dirty? Hungry?

They're more to the story than the paper is allowed to say due to the privacy laws with CPS being involved.

Been there, done that at @4-5 yrs old no charges filed. car totaled. still alive. *waving*

Just because, of the game that had taught him how to drive...it's probably why he wants to try the REAL car in reality, comparin' to this game and thought that he could drive. What he didn't realize that this is the real world comparin' to the game that is not real. I am amazed to see how intelligent he is -- he is only 6 years old. Unbelievable! :eek:

And, about the mother's sleepin' -- well, she didn't know that he was goin' to drive. She never thought that this game could cause him to drive. She've never dreamed like this - I mean, this typical young boy would dare to do that ? Of course, there's 2 choices that young boy could choose ... wake up her own mother or take the car and drive. He choses to drive.

What if the mother had that sleeping disorder where she falls asleep right off the bat? Just throwing all the possibilities out there...

If she had narcolepsy, she probably would only be falling asleep for a few minutes at a time. I doubt that was the case, or she would have had a valid excuse for having been asleep during this episode, and the authorities would not have had justification for placing the kids in protective custody. But, let's say that's the case. Wouldn't she be responsible for getting treatment for that disorder if it puts her kids in danger?

Just because, of the game that had taught him how to drive...it's probably why he wants to try the REAL car in reality, comparin' to this game and thought that he could drive. What he didn't realize that this is the real world comparin' to the game that is not real. I am amazed to see how intelligent he is -- he is only 6 years old. Unbelievable! :eek:

And, about the mother's sleepin' -- well, she didn't know that he was goin' to drive. She never thought that this game could cause him to drive. She've never dreamed like this - I mean, this typical young boy would dare to do that ? Of course, there's 2 choices that young boy could choose ... wake up her own mother or take the car and drive. He choses to drive.

Six year old children should not be put in the position of having to make such a choice. They should have no more responsibility than choosing what color shirt they want to wear.

No kidding! To my way of thinking, a responsible parent would have been awake and making sure their 6 year old made it safely on the bus. This is a case of a kid having more sense than the parent.

A kid with more sense would wake his mom up and have her drive him to school.

By the way, I think he is way way too young to be playing Grand Theft Auto. The game is rated as Mature (17 and up).

Why don't people realize that kids this age need supervision?

Yes, but this easily can happen during at night, when the parents sleep. Or the kid happened to wake up earlier. However, in the case of boy with the bus, the mom DEFINITELY made a mistake in not making sure he gets on the bus. I'm not too sure if the consequences are fair though...

A kid with more sense would wake his mom up and have her drive him to school.

By the way, I think he is way way too young to be playing Grand Theft Auto. The game is rated as Mature (17 and up).

Perhaps he tried. If drugs and or alcohol were involved, he may not have been able to wake his mother. Or, there is also the possiblity that he did wake her, and she did not take any interest in getting him to school, and simply went back to sleep. And the fact that he was allowed to play GTA is just one more example of a total lack of supervision on his parent's behalf.

Yes, but this easily can happen during at night, when the parents sleep. Or the kid happened to wake up earlier. However, in the case of boy with the bus, the mom DEFINITELY made a mistake in not making sure he gets on the bus. I'm not too sure if the consequences are fair though...

Agreed. Had it happened during the night, it would be completely different circumstances and resolutions.

Back