6-year-old Colorado boy floats away in balloon

Sheesh.. I hate to bust everyone's bubble.. but where was the parents when the child was roaming free, near an air craft that had potential danger of allowing the kid to float away. That is like releasing a young child to have access to a swimming pool unsupervised.

accident happens despite of parents' diligent effort. parents can't be there 24/7. even the animals can't monitor their own children 24/7... neither can we.

accident happens despite of parents' diligent effort. parents can't be there 24/7. even the animals can't monitor their own children 24/7... neither can we.

I agree.. but I bet if the outcome was different, the parents would have been charged with neglect...

We see it in the news daily.. Kids slip outside and drown... or kids slip outside and are found three blocks away. Kids slip outside and get injured. Due to the lack of supervision. It is mainly an accident.. but the Laws nowadays protect children.

Weird. They were on television before. The adults made a UFO. As brother Jiro would say, EPIC FAIL! lol

I agree.. but I bet if the outcome was different, the parents would have been charged with neglect...

We see it in the news daily.. Kids slip outside and drown... or kids slip outside and are found three blocks away. Kids slip outside and get injured. Due to the lack of supervision. It is mainly an accident.. but the Laws nowadays protect children.

they're usually charged with negligence if it's something lack of common sense or ill-prepared to protect the children such as leaving a child in car at parking lot under hot sun or not child-proofing their home. but for accident like pool drowning or related despite of safety measures that parents took... they will not be charged with negligence.

Nothing is child-proof. A child can get hurt at playground despite of parental supervision. Shit happens. I'm sure the officials will investigate to see if the parents took precautionary measures or not. the law protects children from abuse and negligence, not accident.

they're usually charged with negligence if it's something lack of common sense or ill-prepared to protect the children such as leaving a child in car at parking lot under hot sun or not child-proofing their home. but for accident like pool drowning or related despite of safety measures that parents took... they will not be charged with negligence.

Nothing is child-proof. A child can get hurt at playground despite of parental supervision. Shit happens. I'm sure the officials will investigate to see if the parents took precautionary measures or not. the law protects children from abuse and negligence, not accident.

Exactly... So where was the parents when they though their child was floating away in the hot air balloon????

That is the question..

Exactly... So where was the parents when they though their child was floating away in the hot air balloon????

That is the question..

home, of course. same question would be asked to you if your child hit other sibling. You just can't always be there 24/7 to make sure those 2 siblings won't fight with each other, right?

you know how 6 years old child can be. it's mischievous age.

home, of course. same question would be asked to you if your child hit other sibling. You just can't always be there 24/7 to make sure those 2 siblings won't fight with each other, right?

you know how 6 years old child can be. it's mischievous age.

You can not compare an action that can be as immediate as hitting another child to one that takes several minutes to achieve.

That would be like saying that a 6 year old was allowed to take off with the family car... or a child being found three blocks away. And comparing it with a child hitting a sibling. :lol: Come on Jiro.... You can think of something better than that!!!

Kids will be kids.. that is why they need adult supervision.

You fail to see my point in this. I understand kids can get hurt under supervision of an adult. But this child was clearly unsupervised for a time span.

The parents of the kid who was apparently in this thing were on ABC's Wife Swap too. I am like the only person in the world that watches that show, and I remember this particular family (sad, huh?) The father is a nutbar and the mother screams constantly. Neither of them make any sense. Neither of them are the type of people who should have had children in the first place. Trust me, if you saw their episode, you would agree with me. :lol:

You can not compare an action that can be as immediate as hitting another child to one that takes several minutes to achieve.

That would be like saying that a 6 year old was allowed to take off with the family car... or a child being found three blocks away. And comparing it with a child hitting a sibling. :lol: Come on Jiro.... You can think of something better than that!!!

Kids will be kids.. that is why they need adult supervision.

You fail to see my point in this. I understand kids can get hurt under supervision of an adult. But this child was clearly unsupervised for a time span.

actually I can compare those because it's all about parental supervision. Both cases (hitting or running off in car) can be prevented by 24/7 parental supervision. But we both do not know how it happened or how long did the boy fiddle around with the balloon device so we cannot make judgment.

But I can say this - based on what I read about them... they look like a really good parents (maybe father's nutty one). Just that it sucks that the boy slipped under their radar. We all have done that to our parents and I'm sure your child has done that to you.

actually I can compare those because it's all about parental supervision. Both cases (hitting or running off in car) can be prevented by 24/7 parental supervision. But we both do not know how it happened or how long did the boy fiddle around with the balloon device so we cannot make judgment.

But I can say this - based on what I read about them... they look like a really good parents (maybe father's nutty one). Just that it sucks that the boy slipped under their radar. We all have done that to our parents and I'm sure your child has done that to you.

A child will sit there and hit another child in the presence of an adult... Jiro..It happens in a split second... a slap is immediate...

Climbing in a hot air balloon or being three blocks away from home takes time. It is not immediate.. May only take a few minutes... but it is done in minute..... By saying that it only takes a second to hit a child...

It takes minutes for a child to drown.... it takes minutes for a child to take off... it takes minutes for a child to wander off three or four blocks away..

hitting a child happens in the presence of adults all the time...

:roll:

A child will sit there and hit another child in the presence of an adult... Jiro..It happens in a split second... a slap is immediate...

Climbing in a hot air balloon or being three blocks away from home takes time. It is not immediate.. May only take a few minutes... but it is done in minute..... By saying that it only takes a second to hit a child...

It takes minutes for a child to drown.... it takes minutes for a child to take off... it takes minutes for a child to wander off three or four blocks away..

hitting a child happens in the presence of adults all the time...

:roll:

so how about a kid getting injured at playground in front of parent? is that lack of supervision?

The parents of the kid who was apparently in this thing were on ABC's Wife Swap too. I am like the only person in the world that watches that show, and I remember this particular family (sad, huh?) The father is a nutbar and the mother screams constantly. Neither of them make any sense. Neither of them are the type of people who should have had children in the first place. Trust me, if you saw their episode, you would agree with me. :lol:

That's interesting. It seemed there was more going on than what was reported in the news.

You aren't the only one...I've watched it from time to time!:giggle: But I didn't see the one with this couple on it. That show seems to attract a lot of nutbars!:giggle:

ABC Wife Swap - Season 5 - Episode 16 - Heene/Silver - link

Silver Family
5eaf7600bf8d7dd4211706a49331f7b0.jpg

Wife Swap, the critically-acclaimed unscripted reality show that takes us into the intimate heart of the American family home, premiered in the United States in 2004. In the show, two very different families take part in a two-week long challenge: the wives exchange husbands, children and lives (but not bedrooms) to discover what it's like to live in another woman's shoes. From city dwellers to country folk, from clowns to pirates, 198 remarkable families from across the U.S. have participated in this mind-blowing experiment and seen their lives changed forever.

In October 2008, ABC asked viewers to help celebrate the 100th episode by voting for favorite families from past episodes whom they'd like to see swap lives again. From a pool of 24 past families, ABC viewers from across the country went to ABC.com and picked their favorite four families. Now it's finally time to announce which two families were chosen by the producers to participate in the 100th episode's ultimate Wife Swap:

Heene Family
fc0863b403663bfa7123fe83bcd5f429.jpg

The families that have been chosen for the 100th episode swap are the storm-chasing, science-obsessed Heene family from Colorado and the psychic, performing arts-loving Silvers from Florida.

When the Heene family aren't chasing storms, they devote their time to scientific experiments that include looking for extraterrestrials and building a research-gathering flying saucer to send into the eye of the storm. In this ultimate swap, the Heenes swap lives with a psychic mom who speaks to the dead and can control the weather, her husband and her children -- who believe they are destined to be stars. This show will feature aliens, punk rockers, past-life regression and, for the first time ever, the children from the two families will face off in a kids' table meeting. "Heene/Silver," the 100th episode of Wife Swap, destined to become a classic!

So the whole thing was a hoax set up by the parents... What were they thinking?

So the whole thing was a hoax set up by the parents... What were they thinking?

whoa. where did you hear that from? I just looked for it and I don't see any.

If the parents and the kid just did this for attention, then they are pretty much fucked up.

Not even funny at all.

Back