3 Page report on Sensorineural Hearing Loss due monday.

BradBradBrad

Reaction score
Bah, this is gonna take forever. In the unlikely event that someone wants to help me out, my AIM is creepyguywas, and I'm on pretty much 24/7. Yeah..

I SURE know two poeple that might be of benfits for u, thats banjo and deafdyke they allways have a debate abt this u can get thier opioions but be ware thier going to get deep with ya :) heh

javapride said:
I SURE know two poeple that might be of benfits for u, thats banjo and deafdyke they allways have a debate abt this u can get thier opioions but be ware thier going to get deep with ya :) heh

Looks like neither have AIM, I gusse I'll have to wait for them to post here.

ofx like i said they plby will show up here later on and post something but i know thier not the only two that does debate them but i think thier better in this type of discussion :)

I thought I put my AIM s/n up on my profile? Anyway I am here....what precisly do you want to know about sensorineural loss? Banjo might be better to ask as I'm not going to be online tomorrow (going to a Ani DiFranco concert in Boston...YEAH!)
Are you stuck on how to get started? What's your thesis? (the point that you want to make) Start out with a sentence like...." most hearing people think that all hearing loss is alike. However there are different types of hearing loss...conductive, central, sensorinerual, auditory nereopathy etc. S/n is the most common type of hearing loss and blah blah blah.....talk about causes, and things like hearing aids and CIs...

EDIT: I'll just edit this post to update it
v2

Sensorineural Hearing Loss

Sensorineural Hearing Loss is hearing loss due to failure of the Auditory Nerve. Sensorineural Hearing Loss is when your ear functions normally, but the nerves that relay the sound to your brain fail to work. Your ear has the conductive parts (Outer and Middle Ear) and the nerves (Inner ear) that translate the conductive motion.
The ear is divided into three parts, the Outer Ear, the Middle Ear and the Inner Ear. The Outer Ear is the part of the ear that most people just refer to as “the ear” composed of the Pinna (the part you pierce), and the Auditory Canal and the Tympanic Membrane (commonly called the “ear drum”). The Middle Ear is composed of the Ossicles, tiny moving bones called: Malleus (connected to the Tympanic Membrane), Incus (connects the Malleus and the Stepes), and Stepes (connected to the Cochlea). And then the Inner Ear, which consists of the Cochlea, Auditory Nerve and the Semicircular Canal.
The primary purpose of the Outer Ear is to gather sound and protect the Middle and Inner Ear. When sound hits the Tympanic Membrane, it moves it like a drum. When the Tympanic Membrane moves, it pulls the very tiny bones, the Ossicles, because the Malleus is connected to it. The motion then moves through the Ossicles to the Cochlea, which causes the fluid inside the Cochlea to move. The movement of the fluid inside the Cochlea makes little hair-like nerve endings sway back and forth in the fluid (think, sea-weed). The depending on which nerves are moved, the Cochlea is able to sense what kind of vibration is hitting the Tympanic Membrane, and then relays the information to the Auditory Nerve. The Auditory Nerve the sends the data to the brain, for decoding. The data is then converted into ‘sound’.
Sensorineural Hearing Loss is when the Auditory Nerve fails to relay the sound to the brain.

Last edited:
This might help a little bit, but it's very generalized and not specific to sensorineural hearing loss. You should have pleaded for help a little sooner. Hope you get it finished in time.

http://clerccenter.gallaudet.edu/SupportServices/series/5001.html

Also, I remember seeing a post somewhere on this board that contained a link to a page that had scanning electron photomicrographs showing what is actually occuring in the inner ear of a person with sensorineural hearing loss. I'm pretty sure it was one of deafdyke's postings - I'll see if I can find it again. Hope this helps.

Sensorineural Hearing Loss is hearing loss due to failure of the Auditory Nerve.
Nope......S/n hearing loss is hearing loss due to a damaged coachlea. It is NOT "nerve loss" there's usually nothing wrong with the actual auditory nerve.
Don't forget to put in something about how S/N hearing loss can range from mild to profound, and talk about some of the treatments used for S/N hearing loss.
(hearing aids, CIs, auditory trainers) Talk about how people with S/N loss hear with hearing aids and CIs...can range from increased awareness of enviromental sound to being functionly HOH to being "almost hearing")

Back