21's a Bust? Seven States Debate Lowering Drinking Age

They should lower the drinking age to 18 for the general population.

Drinking is a major issue in college because a lot of students like to be "bad" when they break the rule and drink. They feel "cool" from doing it.

By lowering the drinking age to 18, they are no longer "bad" because it's okay for them to drink. That will put it under control.

If they're old enough to leave home, old enough to join the military, old enough to have sex, old enough to do anything... then they should be old enough to drink!

Exactly!!!

Everything is legal at 18 except drink make no sense to me. If 18 is a legal age which mean drink is also including as well.

Can you image when 21 years old Groom want to cheer up with a glass of champagne to his 20 years old Bride? :cold:

It make also no sense that it's legal for US teens (from 15 years old) to have a driving liescne.???

http://www.alldeaf.com/topic-debate...e-should-permitted-have-driver-s-license.html

What I am saying that the maturity level really vaires with each person not based solely on age. There are some 18 years olds who are more mature than some 21 years old but yet, the immature 21 year olds have the priviledge to drink?

Agreed.

There are some people who have a high tolerance of alcohol while some people don't have much of a tolerance for alcohol. I know tolerance doesn't come in play on this subject but as for maturity, it all comes down to use the best judgment of your ability. For some, they haven't put it up to use.

I realize that's the case. Now. But my point is that number 18 is totally arbitrary. It is and has been moved up and down throughout history. That's why I referenced Greek law.

My wife and I weren't legal adults for drinking or voting until we were 21, even though married when I was 17 and she was all of 16. The next year, I was serving in the army, and we were living on our own in Germany.

I've seen the age for drinking go up and down, changing like a Central American flag.

That doesn't make for logical argument, especially since we all freely admit maturity is relative.

Anyway, I see by your photo you're not anywhere close to being old enough to drink or vote, heh heh.

Given the fact that the frontal lobe does not complete development until age 21 or later, I tend to agree with you.

Non_Alcoholic_Grape_Wine.jpg

How about this, is this good enough? ;)

Whenever a young person low as 18 drinks booze and their accident is so much higher when they don't control on how much they drink and get out of control. But then I guess when a person drinks booze at any age can still end up in accident such as drunk driving, or being meanie or attacking someone when a person drink too much. I know that when a person drink too much to get drunk it does cloud their judgment.

interesting topic. i think the drinking age should be lowered to 18 because once people get into college at the age, they are exposed to drinking anyway. so there is no need for a limit during college, it'd just cause more problems. in addition, i think it would have the school officials more worried about people drinking underage while they should worry about other important things. i am 20 right now and i have already been exposed to alcohol long before i turned 21. so it's unavoidable. also, have you guys even thought about Canada? their drinking age is 18 and many people who go to college in the u.s. often go across the border to drink in Canada (believe it or not... i go to college in Rochester, ny so Canada is a hour away basically). why go through all the hassle to go to another country to get other privileges? people might get hurt by drinking under the influence by traveling to Canada and many different things.

i think the drinking age should be lowered to 18 because once people get into college at the age, they are exposed to drinking anyway.

More compelling logic. But this has some hope. By this logic, we should grant drinking privileges to those 18 to 20 who are actively enrolled in collage . . . of course also predicated on passing grades, like in the Vietnam War era where college and grades exempted people from the draft.

Side effects would be marvelous. College enrollment would go ballistic. College prep classes in high school could include brand names and alcohol content, how to order from the wine stewart without looking like a complete dweeb, and starter AA classes.

Let the blue collar workers drink soda pop.

Agreed.

There are some people who have a high tolerance of alcohol while some people don't have much of a tolerance for alcohol. I know tolerance doesn't come in play on this subject but as for maturity, it all comes down to use the best judgment of your ability. For some, they haven't put it up to use.
That's right.

Drinking should be a privilege... not a right. ;)

How interesting it is that we want the kids to experiment with drinking when away from the parents . . .and we're surprised that discipline is lacking when folks drink?

Here in canada most provinces have 19 as the legal drinking age and a few including quebec has 18. You can get your learners driving permit at 16 and then your license at 17 and then full privileged (this is ontario licensing its a 3 parter) driving meaning u can drive at nite with people in the car past a certain time and u may have a certain blood alcohol level. To vote and be a legal person is 18. but get this..my friend went to best buy to buy the game Assasins Creed and they said you have to be 25 to buy it!!!! figure that one out!!! lmao

Wow, that's unbelieve but it seems like employee or this store don't follow their regulation, 25 is too above and you can ask Banjo for more information if he knows.

In USA, you need to be 17 years old to buy M-rated game and ID is required in most retail stores but some of them don't followed.

Sorry about little off topic.

If they decide to low to 18. Then it would be most tough for senior high school to graduate or not.

I always believe that 21 is fair and give bit mature.

Wow, that's unbelieve but it seems like employee or this store don't follow their regulation, 25 is too above and you can ask Banjo for more information if he knows.

In USA, you need to be 17 years old to buy M-rated game and ID is required in most retail stores but some of them don't followed.

Yeah not all business would follow the laws, if we look at the business how their works doing carefully.

You don't have to be 25 years old to buy these games. There are no laws for video games in Canada as far as I know. Any employees should know that.

Anyway, the person who mentioned how we obtain the driver license. Well, that's not how it really works. There are different ways.

You don't have to wait until you are 17 to become a G2 license holder. If you take a driving class with driving lessons, you can take the G2 test after 8 months instead of 12 months. There are 3 types of driver licenses for general drivers, G1, G2 and G. G1 licenses are for people with learner's permits. G2 licenses are for people who passed the driving test and now can travel on their own. However, the alcohol level must be absolutely zero. Period. G licenses are for people who have been driving for over 4 years, so they are fully privileged drivers. From what I know, the legal measured level for alcohol in your blood is approximately 0.08 or less.

You don't have to be 25 years old to buy these games. There are no laws for video games in Canada as far as I know. Any employees should know that.

Anyway, the person who mentioned how we obtain the driver license. Well, that's not how it really works. There are different ways.

You don't have to wait until you are 17 to become a G2 license holder. If you take a driving class with driving lessons, you can take the G2 test after 8 months instead of 12 months. There are 3 types of driver licenses for general drivers, G1, G2 and G. G1 licenses are for people with learner's permits. G2 licenses are for people who passed the driving test and now can travel on their own. However, the alcohol level must be absolutely zero. Period. G licenses are for people who have been driving for over 4 years, so they are fully privileged drivers. From what I know, the legal measured level for alcohol in your blood is approximately 0.08 or less.

Down here in australia we call them

1 - Learners Driver's Licence
2 - Provisional Driver's Licence (Same as G2)
3 - Full Driver's Licence < --- That's what I have now.

Wisconsin may reduce drinking age to 19 :: News Sun :: News
Illinois congressman fears return to 'blood border' fatalities

Wisconsin is one of many states that are considering lowering their drinking age from 21 to 19, considering that people 18 and older are eligible for military service.

Missouri and Minnesota may lower the bar to 18.

U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk, R-Highland Park, said such a move by Wisconsin could have tragic consequences for teenagers in Lake County, who might cross the border to buy alcohol.

"If such a law would pass, it would create a blood border on the highways, much like it was before the laws were changed," he said.

Kirk said making 21 the drinking age -- in effect in Wisconsin since 1986 -- has saved more than 20,000 lives a year. Lowering it would create thousands of unnecessary deaths, he added.

Vermont, Kentucky and South Carolina are considering a limited reduction of the drinking age just to favor military personnel.

As attorney general in 2001, Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle said he would support a national drinking age of 19.

However, in 2007, Wisconsin had the worst drunken-driving rate in the country.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, setting the driving age at 21 has decreased fatalities among 18- to 20-year-olds.

Those who have their first drink before they are 19 are significantly more likely to become alcohol dependent, to drive after drinking, and to sustain injuries that require medical attention than those who did not drink before 19, according to data released by Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

Wisconsin: We've got the worst drunken-driving rate in the States! Let's solve it by lowering the drinking age!

my opinion...

we should have a system similar to the dutch's...here are their legal drinking ages....

16: under 15% ABV (they can purchase wine, beer, wine coolers, ciders, etc)

18: 15% ABV and over

and no minimum age to drink in private with a parent/guardian.

for the US, we could change it to something like...

18: under 15% ABV

20: 15% ABV and over

and a minimum age of 8 years old to drink in private with a parent/guardian

I think they should.. Parents are not watching them anymore...even though they are still dependent on their parents if they are in college.

but on the other hand, it is easy for someone to become an alcoholic.

No I don't think that they should lower the age to 18. Because young adults have difficult tolerating alcohol in their bodies.

I propose this

18 to drink legally (under guidance), for non military.
21 to BUY legally.
Military can buy under 21.

And yes, I think it is fair for military. If they are mature enough and old enough to serve the country, then they are mature enough to drink. But not everyone is able to handle that.

I think age 18 should be benchmark for all laws. Yet create tier level of time frame daily that the alcohol can be sold. If under 21, cant buy after 8pm but after 21 can buy until closing.

Driver age remain the same at age 16 because its help them to develop responsibilities then be ready for age 18 to face more responsibilities.

If i had kid, I will give alcohol when they are young like 12-14 years old because I want them to be used to it and understand control before they become legalized drinking age to buy. By then, i do not need to worry about them binging too much yet be glad to learn my kids helping people to clean up their vomit than having someone to clean up my kid's vomits.

Just a thought.

Back