2 Year Old Cooper Hear's Mommy's Voice First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Csign,

I am confused a little now. It seems to me that you support CI which is your entitle to your opinion. That is SO cool. Did your kid get CI recently or still with HA? I want to clear up my confusion as to why you support CI. SO i am still puzzled.

you just basically proved that it's a biased decision because you're applying your own hearing value to it. when we're born deaf, we've already adapted to it so we don't panic over it like hearing parents.

I believe overwhelming consensus is that it should be ASL first and then let a deaf person should decide for oneself to opt for CI or not.

No. I'm not applying my own "hearing values" to anything. I was making a statement based on those that grow up and wish they had been implanted when they were a child.

There is no overwhelming consensus, except from within a faction of the Deaf community. There are many individuals who are DHH in "real life" as well as on this forum that don't necessarily subscribe to that belief. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong- we are all entitled to our opinions and I respect your point of view. However, that point of view is not indicative of the deaf community as a whole.

As for your comment about parents "panicking", I don't agree with that.

You panic if you see your child get hit by a car. You panic if you're at Disneyland and your child is MIA. You panic if your child gets kidnapped.

You don't "panic" if you find out your child is deaf.

nope not really. I find it quite comical that you consider it as "neutral" when weighing on something. How is it neutral if you lean toward CI without getting your child's input in decision? There's something that weighing on your decision that led you to get a CI implantation therefore it is not neutral. It is very obvious that hearing parents put more value in hearing because of their biased hearing perspective and zero deaf perspective.

A neutral position would be letting one to decide for himself with all pros and cons at hand.

It seems you hit the "reply" button before you actually read what I post. Go back and read what I wrote.

you just basically proved that it's a biased decision because you're applying your own hearing value to it. when we're born deaf, we've already adapted to it so we don't panic over it like hearing parents.

I believe overwhelming consensus is that it should be ASL first and then let a deaf person should decide for oneself to opt for CI or not.

Overwhelming consensus of what group? And, why does any group have a say?

No. I'm not applying my own "hearing values" to anything. I was making a statement based on those that grow up and wish they had been implanted when they were a child.

There is no overwhelming consensus, except from within a faction of the Deaf community. There are many individuals who are DHH in "real life" as well as on this forum that don't necessarily subscribe to that belief. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong- we are all entitled to our opinions and I respect your point of view. However, that point of view is not indicative of the deaf community as a whole.

We make decisions every day....sometimes big and sometimes small. A CI would be a big decision presented to a parent of a deaf child. They form their opinion for or against from there.

To be fair, some parents do panic.....but that description would not fit a parent who was taking to weigh all of the options.

yes you are. it's a biased decision because of your hearing perspective. why are you so defensive? I'm not accusing you. I'm explaining it to you. There's no repercussion or rebuke for admitting to it.

I disagree.

You panic if you see your child get hit by a car. You panic if you're at Disneyland and your child is MIA. You panic if your child gets kidnapped.

Yes they do. They panicked, grieved, and get very concerned upon hearing that their newborn is deaf. That's why they go see doctors, seek advices from deaf organizations, and the whole 9 yards.

What do you think how do deaf parents react if their doctor tells them that their newborn is deaf? or hearing? :lol:

yes you are. it's a biased decision because of your hearing perspective. why are you so defensive? I'm not accusing you. I'm explaining it to you. There's no repercussion or rebuke for admitting to it.

I disagree.

Yes they do. They panicked, grieved, and get very concerned upon hearing that their newborn is deaf. That's why they go see doctors, seek advices from deaf organizations, and the whole 9 yards.

What do you think how do deaf parents react if their doctor tells them that their newborn is deaf? or hearing? :lol:

Responding to a comment or post is not being defensive.

deaf people.

we do not force their decision. we express our grave concern for deaf newborns.

So, not a neutral position.... No biggie. :cool2: But just remember this if another member of this forum expresses grave concern over not implanting....It should be a 2-way street. Fair is fair.

So, not a neutral position.... No biggie. :cool2: But just remember this if another member of this forum expresses grave concern over not implanting....It should be a 2-way street. Fair is fair.

then I'm glad we agree that the only way it can be neutral is letting a deaf child to decide for oneself.

Responding to a comment or post is not being defensive.

so any comment about this?

What do you think how do deaf parents react if their doctor tells them that their newborn is deaf? or hearing?

then I'm glad we agree that the only way it can be neutral is letting a deaf child to decide for oneself.

Ah, more trolling. We don't agree on that and that is not a neutral position. That is an anti-implanting position. You are entitled to be anti-implanting if you choose. But that doesn't make it neutral

Neutral on the issue of implanting babies would be neither for nor against implanting babies. You are obviously against.....therefore, not neutral.

Csign,

I am confused a little now. It seems to me that you support CI which is your entitle to your opinion. That is SO cool. Did your kid get CI recently or still with HA? I want to clear up my confusion as to why you support CI. SO i am still puzzled.

Last I checked that your kid does not have CI. Just make sure. It helps everyone to understand better as to why. For me, to see it is purretty conflicting.

nope not really. I find it quite comical that you consider it as "neutral" when weighing on something. How is it neutral if you lean toward CI without getting your child's input in decision? There's something that weighing on your decision that led you to get a CI implantation therefore it is not neutral. It is very obvious that hearing parents put more value in hearing because of their biased hearing perspective and zero deaf perspective.

A neutral position would be letting one to decide for himself with all pros and cons at hand.

So it's neutral to withhold hearing from the infant and ensure no auditory brain is developed?

Parents put more value in hearing because it is a hearing world. There is no way around that.

So it's neutral to withhold hearing from the infant and ensure no auditory brain is developed?

Parents put more value in hearing because it is a hearing world. There is no way around that.

^^^^ Also, not neutral.....but that is ok. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Ah, more trolling. We don't agree on that and that is not a neutral position. That is an anti-implanting position. You are entitled to be anti-implanting if you choose. But that doesn't make it neutral

Neutral on the issue of implanting babies would be neither for nor against implanting babies. You are obviously against.....therefore, not neutral.

I fail to see how is opting for-implant a neutral position to you. Please clarify?

and no I'm not against implanting babies because I fully support anybody's decision to opt for CI.

I wonder if that's a deciding factor for parents to opt for CI. Anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back