2 Year Old Cooper Hear's Mommy's Voice First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody is entitled to their opinions....that's a fact..... But this thread wasn't posted in a debate thread or current events thread. This thread is posted in the HA/ CI forum. Seems since people who use CIs and HAs come to this forum they should be able to go to these threads without having to wade through the negativity. Just my thoughts.....seems the site would be better served if every thread wasn't a war.

I disagree. Feel free to PM mods to express your concern.

I do not believe it's negativity. There are pros and cons to it and there's nothing wrong with parents knowing the cons of it.

I personally believe that a baby or a toddler shouldn't get the CI until they fully understand what it is. Because If I had a child, I would want to know if he or she would want a CI. Because it is their body. i know parents wants what is best for their kid. But I kind of wish they would let their child do their own thing and see if the kid likes being themselves for who they are. I didn't get my own CI until i was 8 years old, My parents asked me if i wanted one. And i have thought about it for a long time and i decided yes i wanted one. I took good care of my CI's, etc and There was days that I wish i didn't get the CI's because the hearing thinks its a cure to deafness. I do know, as a CI recipient that the CI's do not cure deafness. It's a piece of technology. And no technology is perfect. People have told the hearing countless of times that CI's do not cure deafness at all, but they just simply do not want to listen. I even explained to people that i can't hear perfectly with my Ci's, and even though most people think that the CI's are taking away an identity, I'm still a part of my deaf culture, its who i am and its not going away, it will always be with me, forever. And I can say that I'm proud of my deaf culture. My parents exposed me to the deaf world when they know nothing about the deaf world when I became deaf and had me learning sign language when i turned 4 years old. I'm not embarrassed about it. Because i know my parents wants what is best for me. I'm proud of being deaf, with or without the CIs.

I applaud your parents' decision in this case by letting you to decide for yourself. This is precisely what I believe in. Letting a child to decide whether or not to get CI. I support whatever that person decides on but I'm strongly against implanting a child just because parents believe it's in his/her best interest. that is speculative and subjective.

I thought it was very silly when parents got all hot and angry at me in other thread for saying such ridiculous thing like letting a child to decide for himself/herself. well here you are. a living proof of a belief shared by many deafies. unfortunately... you are an inconvenient truth for several ADers whom are hearing parents of deaf children and that's just sad because they refuse to listen to our experiences.

but of course - hearing parents and we deafies can agree to disagree. we're entitled to our opinions and they are entitled to their opinions as well and I do not believe our expressions are considered as negative and detrimental to this thread. There are pros and cons to this issue and it's important for parents to know both sides of it in this thread.

I agree, and the impression I got overall was that it was a positive experience for the little guy.

He is almost 3 years old right now.

5 days ago:"He listens and speaks and recognizes his name and environmental sounds. He can count to 5, recognizes and says letters, recognizes and says colors. He can verbalize things that he wants now. His speech is certainly not as clear as ours because he has only been implanted for 8 months. Therefore he speaks like a kid just learning to talk. We are so proud of his accomplishments in such a short amount of time."

1 month ago:"Cooper is currently saying at least 10 - 15 words, his favorites being 'more' and 'up please.' He can say all his vowels and count to 10 and knows most of his ABC's. Cooper can recognize objects by hearing their names and can repeat back words and their syllables. Obviously the benefit of the implant is that Cooper can hear and is able to use speech. He goes to speech therapy two times a week for an hour each session."

Thank you for posting that link Bott. I hadn't seen that video before. Looks like a happy, well loved, confident child who also responded well to her activation. Perhaps the greatest part of the video was that she clearly was in a home and educational environment that used ASL.

Great video!

Of course!

I disagree. Feel free to PM mods to express your concern.

I do not believe it's negativity. There are pros and cons to it and there's nothing wrong with parents knowing the cons of it.

I will.

Like I said this isnt in the debate or current event forums. The sarcasm and negativity are pretty insensitive.

I applaud your parents' decision in this case by letting you to decide for yourself. This is precisely what I believe in. Letting a child to decide whether or not to get CI. I support whatever that person decides on but I'm strongly against implanting a child just because parents believe it's in his/her best interest. that is speculative and subjective.

I thought it was very silly when parents got all hot and angry at me in other thread for saying such ridiculous thing like letting a child to decide for himself/herself. well here you are. a living proof of a belief shared by many deafies. unfortunately... you are an inconvenient truth for several ADers whom are hearing parents of deaf children and that's just sad because they refuse to listen to our experiences.

but of course - hearing parents and we deafies can agree to disagree. we're entitled to our opinions and they are entitled to their opinions as well and I do not believe our expressions are considered as negative and detrimental to this thread. There are pros and cons to this issue and it's important for parents to know both sides of it in this thread.

Well, I just tell my friends saying, just wait, someday their kid may or may not like the CI, and the parents are going to have consequences with dealing their kid's wrath of why they made their kid have a CI at a young age without wondering if they truly want one. Because they might not have use for it. I know that one of my friends gotten a CI, i think he got his CI as a toddler. He recently removed his internal implant about 2 years ago because he did not like it (he never has) and he felt comfortable with being just plain deaf, he was fine and he was comfortable for the way his is. I don't have a problem with that. Sometimes, I would not wear my CI for a whole weekend when i'm not in band or when i have nothing to do at all, I enjoy the silence. But what I hate most about not wearing my CI for the whole weekend is the huge noises that just overwhelms you when you first put on your CI. everything is sensitive, too loud, etc. I deal with that every morning when i put my CI on anyways, I just stay in my room for about 5 minutes until I don't feel too sensitive to the noise.

Maybe the reason why the hearing parents is arguing with us about how they are not regretting their decision of implanting their child is maybe they're worried about what might be the outcome in the future for their child with the implant.

If i was talking to a hearing parent this is what I would say: I understand that you want what is best for your child, I know how much you want them to be able to hear and be able to give your child what you can do to help them. But realize that a CI is not a cure to deafness. We have told you countless of times, But you simply do not want to listen. I am a CI recipient. I have got my first CI when I was 8 years old, My parents has asked me if i wanted an implant. I made the decision to get one. I believe that your child should be able to make a decision. have you maybe stopped and thought that maybe your child would not want it? They will be appreciative of what you are going to do for them while they grow up. If you have a deaf toddler, or a deaf baby, expose them to the deaf world, let them learn sign, let them have an hearing aid. Let them live their childhood, and let them be themselves first. I know that when i was an 8 year old i made a very hard and very complicated decision to get a CI but I understood what it is when my parents explained it to me. I thought about it for months, I talked about it with my parents, and I felt like I was and adult for once.

Everybody is entitled to their opinions....that's a fact..... But this thread wasn't posted in a debate thread or current events thread. This thread is posted in the HA/ CI forum. Seems since people who use CIs and HAs come to this forum they should be able to go to these threads without having to wade through the negativity. Just my thoughts.....seems the site would be better served if every thread wasn't a war.

I agree. :wave:

that smells like a negativity

Which is very importent to point out because?

did you know here this forum have smiley "repost" I did not post it. i saw this video before. I saw it like 5 times. I was almost positive that it has been posted here. Please don't get upset so easily if my opinions states freely here.

that smells like a negativity

Yes I wasn't doing it on purposely. I tell the truth what it comes to my mind. Therefore I can say anything.

Hope it has heavily buttery and salted popcorns, and share with me???

I can see that he didn't know ASL and hes 2 years old. He does show lot of gestures so i hope he is learning ASL so he can learn both, asl and speaking.

it's always the parents take take the decision. In this case they chose to let their child grow up deaf....
Lotte can also choose for herself when she's old enough.. She can choose not to hear..

Wrong assumption.. "hearing parents of deaf children" are happy to see that a decision by parents works out so well....
Finally.... You make some sense....

it's always the parents take take the decision. In this case they chose to let their child grow up deaf....
Lotte can also choose for herself when she's old enough.. She can choose not to hear..
so what's wrong with other way around? what's your reasoning for that?

Wrong assumption.. "hearing parents of deaf children" are happy to see that a decision by parents works out so well....

Finally.... You make some sense....
well - if you're gonna agree to disagree.... then I have not made a wrong assumption. neither of us is wrong... only different view.

Hi coolgirlspyer90..
You sound like a cool girl born in 1990

I personally believe that a baby or a toddler shouldn't get the CI until they fully understand what it is. Because If I had a child, I would want to know if he or she would want a CI. Because it is their body. i know parents wants what is best for their kid. But I kind of wish they would let their child do their own thing and see if the kid likes being themselves for who they are. I didn't get my own CI until i was 8 years old,
Our choice to let Lotte hear was based on factors like how much does she hear (nothing, not even with HA's) How many family members are deaf (0). How many languages (Sign or Speech) she will have two use (at least 2). How many d/Deaf people do we know (0).
Of course there are other factors, like risk of surgery, technology, reliability etc...
All these factors considered are thrown on the balancing scale...

I hope your parents thought beyond "NO.!" and actually considered possibilities and choices for their child..
What was your hearing loss..
What was your families background?
Is deafness common in your family or was it something new?
Is there a strong Deaf culture in your vicinity?
.... what were the factors that your father and mother considered before they took a decsion...

My parents asked me if i wanted one. And i have thought about it for a long time and i decided yes i wanted one. I took good care of my CI's, etc and There was days that I wish i didn't get the CI's because the hearing thinks its a cure to deafness. I do know, as a CI recipient that the CI's do not cure deafness. It's a piece of technology. And no technology is perfect. People have told the hearing countless of times that CI's do not cure deafness at all, but they just simply do not want to listen. I even explained to people that i can't hear perfectly with my Ci's, and even though most people think that the CI's are taking away an identity, I'm still a part of my deaf culture, its who i am and its not going away, it will always be with me, forever. And I can say that I'm proud of my deaf culture. My parents exposed me to the deaf world when they know nothing about the deaf world when I became deaf and had me learning sign language when i turned 4 years old. I'm not embarrassed about it. Because i know my parents wants what is best for me. I'm proud of being deaf, with or without the CIs.
One final question..
Do you believe that your hearing with CI now would have been the same as when you had the CI at age 3?

so what's wrong with other way around? what's your reasoning for that?
Yeh... "what's wrong with other way around"

well - if you're gonna agree to disagree.... then I have not made a wrong assumption. neither of us is wrong... only different view.

.......I thought it was very silly when parents got all hot and angry at me in other thread for saying such ridiculous thing like letting a child to decide for himself/herself. well here you are. a living proof of a belief shared by many deafies. unfortunately... you are an inconvenient truth for several ADers whom are hearing parents of deaf children and that's just sad because they refuse to listen to our experiences.
Yep.. wrong assumption...

But great slogan for a billboard....

....But what I hate most about not wearing my CI for the whole weekend is the huge noises that just overwhelms you when you first put on your CI. everything is sensitive, too loud, etc. I deal with that every morning when i put my CI on anyways, I just stay in my room for about 5 minutes until I don't feel too sensitive to the noise. .....
I've heard about that before, and there's an impressive video on Lottes blog about just that...
Lotte doesn't have that problem fortunately. She just puts the CI on, without hesitation...
Equilibrium - YouTube

Well, I just tell my friends saying, just wait, someday their kid may or may not like the CI, and the parents are going to have consequences with dealing their kid's wrath of why they made their kid have a CI at a young age without wondering if they truly want one. Because they might not have use for it. I know that one of my friends gotten a CI, i think he got his CI as a toddler. He recently removed his internal implant about 2 years ago because he did not like it (he never has) and he felt comfortable with being just plain deaf, he was fine and he was comfortable for the way his is. I don't have a problem with that. Sometimes, I would not wear my CI for a whole weekend when i'm not in band or when i have nothing to do at all, I enjoy the silence. But what I hate most about not wearing my CI for the whole weekend is the huge noises that just overwhelms you when you first put on your CI. everything is sensitive, too loud, etc. I deal with that every morning when i put my CI on anyways, I just stay in my room for about 5 minutes until I don't feel too sensitive to the noise.

Maybe the reason why the hearing parents is arguing with us about how they are not regretting their decision of implanting their child is maybe they're worried about what might be the outcome in the future for their child with the implant.

If i was talking to a hearing parent this is what I would say: I understand that you want what is best for your child, I know how much you want them to be able to hear and be able to give your child what you can do to help them. But realize that a CI is not a cure to deafness. We have told you countless of times, But you simply do not want to listen. I am a CI recipient. I have got my first CI when I was 8 years old, My parents has asked me if i wanted an implant. I made the decision to get one. I believe that your child should be able to make a decision. have you maybe stopped and thought that maybe your child would not want it? They will be appreciative of what you are going to do for them while they grow up. If you have a deaf toddler, or a deaf baby, expose them to the deaf world, let them learn sign, let them have an hearing aid. Let them live their childhood, and let them be themselves first. I know that when i was an 8 year old i made a very hard and very complicated decision to get a CI but I understood what it is when my parents explained it to me. I thought about it for months, I talked about it with my parents, and I felt like I was and adult for once.

I support your decision to choose CI because you made an informed choice. It is sad to see most hearing parents "force" their Deaf children to get CIs when they are very young and do not know the cons and pros of CIs and aware of the risks involved. Hearing parents hope they are miracle!! Oh, fucking please! That's what annoying me the most. :eek3:

Wirelessly posted

Some deaf people wished that their parents had them implanted. I have seen both sides on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back