2 questions for deaf community..

1 is not exactly true. They're more open about it.

2.) true.

I agree with your #1 above. Not sure that there are more gay deaf people, but I do think they're far more open about it. I have seen plenty of evidence of that here in my area.

oh ok. well my friend talks to different deaf people on a daily basis and he said that from what he has seen is that alot of them have been talking advantage of in a sexual abuse sense (as children and teens).

oh ok. well my friend talks to different deaf people on a daily basis and he said that from what he has seen is that alot of them have been talking advantage of in a sexual abuse sense (as children and teens).
I refer you to the pope to address you on that. Countless kids are taken advantage of daily, and its not only the deaf.

I agree with PFH. I know alot of hearing people who were sexually abused as a child. The only thing that make them different is that people are more likely to ignore deaf people. Sometimes when a deaf person tries to tell them, they think they are putting on a drama show. Or they just don't understand them. They are also not familar to signs of abuse in deaf children as well.

im just talking about percentage. well thats what he was refering to (my friend). the amount of kids amongs hearing kids might be 1 in 50 (idk thats a random guess) where among deaf kids it might be 1 in 25 (another random number)
i dont know. thats why im asking. i was just told that it was a "higher percent". i dont think my friends was saying that hearing kids dont get abused.. lol

im just talking about percentage. well thats what he was refering to (my friend). the amount of kids amongs hearing kids might be 1 in 50 (idk thats a random guess) where among deaf kids it might be 1 in 25 (another random number)
i dont know. thats why im asking. i was just told that it was a "higher percent". i dont think my friends was saying that hearing kids dont get abused.. lol

and we are saying they aren't more of a victim than hearing children. just that the abuse stay hidden longer with them. And a abuser can work at a deaf school for many years and don't get caught while abuser in a hearing school do get caught within a year or so. hence why more deaf kids get abused. Want to prevent abuse? Learn sign language and many other method of communication they use. The more people who know sign language, the safer they are.

1 is not exactly true. They're more open about it.

2.) true.

See what PFH said.

See what LDNanna said.

i have 2 questions. a friend of mine is very involved in the deaf community and told me something and i wanted to know if it is true.

1. he said that a high percent of deaf people are gay. Is this true?

No statistics proven yet.
I've seen plenty of hearing people are gay as well.

2. also he said that many deaf people are taken advantage of my hearing people. is this true?

Who are your hearing people? :lol:
Some deaf people taken advantage of hearing people, true.
Some hearing people taken advantage of deaf people, true.

(For example, when police pull over, hearing person acted like deaf and then what happen policeman sign in ASL-big BUST!)

Another thing is when hearing person with a sign says I am deaf, please help me, but when deaf person saw that person and found out that person doesn't know ASL at all. Some hearing people sell ABC fingerspelling cards even though they don't know ASL themselves.

Check above what they said so.

;)

A lot of what you call taking advantage of hearing people is really hearing people being ignorant about deaf people and how to communicate with the deaf.

Back