yourchildren can sign help theparents are deaf

Defee said:
Well, me and my best friend tried to talk to the mother but she refused to listen!..look what happened now...all 3 kids grown up and gone far away from them now!! I dont blame them at all..they had a rough childhood..its too late now.

Oh no.. Poor those children were burden on their shoulder from their parents. It isn't good healthy. They need to focus on their childhood.

Liebling:-))) said:
My both boys are hearing. I would not use them as interpreters because they can hear.

I do not need them because I own emails, fax, mobile phone eg. to deal with anyone.

It´s okay if they are willing to interpert for us without get force from us. They likes to do for us at little things etc.

I order neutral interpeter for any neccassary like bank, school, hospitail, etc.

We were at hosptial & waiting for interpeter. The doctor asked my son to interpert for him to tell me something. I told him off to not bother my son & wait until interpeter is back but my son want do it. I told him firm that interperter do it for me. He can interpeter whatever he like at unneccassary things but not important things.

Good thing you stood up and told your son not to interprete when your doc asked him.. how kind of nerve the doc is ! I hate that when people do that.

I will explain to my children in future if they want to help me out, they can help me w/ different things like cooking, cleaning etc. I have to do it myself and learning how to communicate w/ others in the world.

I dont make my daughter to interpret for me. At video store, she tried to interpret for me and I told her not to do it. I told lady do not talk to her because she is a child. So talk to me and I can lipreadin. After I left the store. I had to explain to my daughter how I feel.. I prefer her act like she is my daughter not interpreter. She understood and never do it again.

As I ask her what she wants to be.. She wants to be doctor to help people but she can change her mind what she wants to be when she gets older. She can always talk to me in signs. I want her to enjoy her life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer her act like she is my daughter not interpreter.

That's why I'm never letting my 2 Daughters ever interpret for me. They are my Daughters, not my Interpreters. Period. :)

-Brooke

Margie said:
Your kids can help their deaf parents.
Deaf parents of hearing kids are the best!
They're always there when the parents need them to interpret.
For doctors appts.mettings at school ect.
Margie

i so totally DISAGREE with ur comments here -- i do not believe that we should have our hearing children terp for us all the time -- fucking unethical! :roll:

a professional terp is the way to go NOT using the children :thumbd:

Uh-HUH!!! No way! i refused to "use" my 2 children to be interpreter for me if that is very private such as Doctor, Lawyer, blah blah...No way.. U heard ADA??? that is Law for Professional business must Hire an Interpreter for Deaf person as Require. If they don't hire one, Screw them and Call ADA to appeal it. U are so wrong to use your own kids to have an interpreter...Children dont get pay from Interpreter Certificatie like "hello?". Children are not needed to be interpreter for Deaf Parent. I degree with that!

eternity said:
I dont make my daughter to interpret for me. At video store, she tried to interpret for me and I told her not to do it. I told lady do not talk to her because she is a child. So talk to me and I can lipreadin. After I left the store. I had to explain to my daughter how I feel.. I prefer her act like she is my daughter not interpreter. She understood and never do it again.

As I ask her what she wants to be.. She wants to be doctor to help people but she can change her mind what she wants to be when she gets older. She can always talk to me in signs. I want her to enjoy her life.
:werd: , Eternity... Samthing with me, I pulled my child out of clerk attmept to talk to, put my child behind me. I always told any clerks, saying "Don't ever talk to my child", and I ask you (clerk), need to write piece of paper forth and back.. toodbad to all clerks or generals, because I have a right to ask any clerks and others , please pen and paper all due I am deaf. I dont want anyone have a chance to depend on my child could interpeter for me which I did not asking for. I have to force anyone must learn how to communcate me with deaf world and respect deaf's rights as you know what I saying..

ckfarbes. I have a suggestion for you now or later when your child grows up. You could tell your child early on that if anyone tries to communicate with him that he answers by saying "listen to my mother" or "do as she says" or "she said she wants pen and paper" or say "ask her." Something to get the point accross. Or you could have your child back off a little farther from you so that they don't depend on him/her. You could also carry pen and and a pad of paper in your purse which might be easier sometimes.

I think that it is just too much pressure on a child to be relied upon for interpreting, and it also distorts the parent/child relationship. Your child should rely on the parent and not the other way around. Also there are too many issues of an adult's life that children should not be made aware of.

If it's done occasionally in social situations I think it's alright, so long as it's casual and the child (preferably an older teen) actually wants to do it. But a child should not interpret for any professional situation such as banking, legal, medical, etc.

I have hearing boys. I will not USE them as my interpreters... no way.

I want them to have normal childhood. I don't even let them talk on phone like telemarkers...People come up to us and say, "oh they will be wonderful to be your interpreters when they are older."

I give them a look and tell them, "are you kidding me, I will make sure that they won't become one." They get appalled. I don't give a crap but children are supposed to be children, not children with a adult job role.

This response is from a CODA ...I think that weather or not your children choose to interpret for their deaf parents or not should be left up to the chiild. My dad is deaf, and has 5 children. Three of us enjoy being there for dad when he needs our ears. The other two are uncomfortable. Dad has always respected our wishes. If we had plans and couldn't interpret, we were never made to feel guilty. he simply made other arrangements. As a CODA, I was surprised to hear that there are CODA who are embarrassed to interpret for their parent. My father has always made me proud. I never once remember being embarrassed when someone asks me to interpret. I have been proud to be the bridge between the two worlds I live in. I say let you kids decide how they feel about interpreting. I for one am proud to be able to give something back to my father for all he does for me. We are family and we help eachother, out of love and respect not out of duty.

i have seen 5 year old who sign better than me and tehy have deaf parents. it is no surprise but i dont think that they should have to interpret. it would be a burdon to them. I mean i am 15 nad i play interpreter for my parents with my friends and teacher and sometimes at starbucks but on a rare occasion. To think of that for a young child makes me cringe. :crazy:

Back