Yes But Be Patient

That is pretty much what I did at my last CI appointment. They had me test in my HA's and some loaned Nadia's. It was a noticeable difference with speech perception--from 34% to 48% in my R ear and from 36% to 62% in my left. I still have major issues with recruitment and the door closing or papers shuffling, etc. was VERY loud. I had my current aid set up like that for a while and it was just painful. We will see what happens with the pair they are having me try. My right ear still qualifies for an implant and they figure what will probably happen is I will implant my right and keep my HA for my left. I'm ok with that as long as I can finally hear and understand people. Only drawback, my CI would be covered by insurance, HA's are not.

Which level Naidas are you getting? You getting the new Naidas Qs?

They have not told me

They have not told me yet. Still waiting on the bureaucratic machine to move.

Ive never heard of Vocational Rehab in the UK.

C-Nice is from the US.

are we talking about same thing,i went to rehab after i came out of hospital about 6weeks after,,had take one person with me who i be communicating with the most..life style changes

are we talking about same thing,i went to rehab after i came out of hospital about 6weeks after,,had take one person with me who i be communicating with the most..life style changes

Vocational Rehab is nothing to do with rehab that you are talking about.

Caz:
Vocational Rehab helps those with disabilities get jobs, get an education, get equipment they might need to get by with life.... Vocational rehab is paying for my college education, and they've bought a hearing aid for me in the past, and bought an FM system for me to use in school in Jan.

The rehab you're thinking of is rehab to exercise a limb or body for injury/illness/medical issue... physical therapy or mental illness treatment.

Two very different things.

Which level Naidas are you getting? You getting the new Naidas Qs?

Don't know for sure yet but I think I would like to try those since it sounds like they might be the best for my hearing loss and the possibility I will have one implant and one HA down the road.

My Hearing Aid Audi Recommends

My Hearing Aid Audi Recommends the Oticon Chili SP for me.

Chili is good. Not as powerful as the Naida UP tho and the Chili doesn't have sound recover which benefits people with ski slope loss.

There may be a few reasons as to why your Audi wants you to try the chili.

1) You've got Oticon now so you know the sound.
2) It is quite small for a power HA.
3) Audi may not deal with Phonak.

As you've been told to come back in 5 years for a CI assessment. I would get a hearing aid with more power, like the naida UP to allow for more loss and the Phonak sound recovery is good for your type of loss.

I would talk with your Audi about more options. Don't just go with one option.

That was just her recommendation

That was just her recommendation. Since I am already using Oticons, but she can get Naida's for me(Just stated that some setting and adjustment issue my be there). Still have to wait for the funds to come through either way.

Do hearing aid audi recommend the devices?

I met someone from easter seals crossroads. He was the one who will recommend the devices to the VR person for me, such as the hearing aid. Fortunately, he recommended phonak hearing aids for me and I am happy for that since im looking to get phonak hearing aids.

For me, I finally finished the process for VR. Now its just waitin for ESC to finish their report to VR and the VR will decide to pay for specific devices or not.

No New Hearing Aids

Vocational Rehab will provide me with a new office phone but no new hearing aids. Budget issue

That's a real bummer coz how is a new office phone going to work if your HAs are underpowered? Couldn't they fund one HA? Would be better then 2 underpowered HAs.

EDIT - Its all to do with how much your max MPO is on your HAs. A office phone with a louder volume won't be of much help if your MPO on your HAs isn't great. (That is, if your new office phone would just have a louder volume).

Last edited:
That was just her recommendation. Since I am already using Oticons, but she can get Naida's for me(Just stated that some setting and adjustment issue my be there). Still have to wait for the funds to come through either way.

what do you mean about setting and adjustment issue with phonak?

Vocational Rehab will provide me with a new office phone but no new hearing aids. Budget issue

That really sucks. Voc Rehab got me new and appropriately strong hearing aids (Naida IIIs) a few years ago. They changed my life but I am still an ideal candidate for a cochlear implant (hearing loss above 90db in all frequencies) in either ear but my insurance won't cover it and Vocational Rehabilitation considers CI outside their scope of service.

But offering you a new phone is ridiculous. I would appeal that.
Emphasize that with your hearing loss (I don't remember how bad your hearing is) you would be costing the state money in unemployment benefits or Medicare if you can't keep your current job.
Voc Rehab is supposed to help people with disabilities get and keep jobs.

EDIT - Its all to do with how much your max MPO is on your HAs. A office phone with a louder volume won't be of much help if your MPO on your HAs isn't great. (That is, if your new office phone would just have a louder volume).

For me, louder is definitely NOT better. I have wicked distortion so when a sound is loud enough for me to hear it, it is basically just noise.
I would hope that Voc Rehab would know know that louder isn't better.

For me, louder is definitely NOT better. I have wicked distortion so when a sound is loud enough for me to hear it, it is basically just noise.
I would hope that Voc Rehab would know know that louder isn't better.

Same with me...I can hear on an amplified phone but it is pure noise which is super quiet and nothing else.

Cheapest first

The nice guy(Stated that it really was not his call) at the Vocational Rehab, told me due to economics the state has gone to cheapest solution first approach. Go for the least expensive remedy and then it that doe not resolve the issue evaluate again.

The nice guy(Stated that it really was not his call) at the Vocational Rehab, told me due to economics the state has gone to cheapest solution first approach. Go for the least expensive remedy and then it that doe not resolve the issue evaluate again.

But it's obvious that it won't work with hearing aids that are underpowered for you so why waste money on a phone that won't work. Better to put the money into hearing aids that will help you. :)

That sucks. My Voc Rehab went better. They accepted my request for hearing aid. (My audiologist recommended a Bolero, but I will talk to her to get a Nadia due to my progressing hearing loss).

Voc Rehab also said that they will be able to get a few accessories that should help such as my own fm system and telephone.

Back