Yes But Be Patient

C-NICE

Reaction score
Vocational Rehab just called me and I am approved but must be on the waiting list for a little while.

He would be getting more suitable hearing aids that have more power to cope better with his loss. At the moment, he has underpowered hearing aids.

C-Nice, have you heard about getting hearing aids? Hope you are still not waiting.

No word yet but did get other news

Notword yet, but my CI surgeon let me know that even though I don't qualify for a conventional CI I would be able to get a hybrid CI(If only those Idiots at the F.D.A. would get off their useless behinds and approved it).

Notword yet, but my CI surgeon let me know that even though I don't qualify for a conventional CI I would be able to get a hybrid CI(If only those Idiots at the F.D.A. would get off their useless behinds and approved it).

That's crazy you are still waiting. Where I live, studies have shown that hearing aids like phonak Naidas with sound recovery works better then then hybrid CIs. Maybe why FDA haven't approved it yet.

How does a "hybrid C I" differ from a "regular Cochlear Implant"? Far I know I have a regular Cochlear Implant and have never heard of a hybrid,
Something new?

Not if you look on google.......high frequencies is heard thru the implant and low frequencies is heard thru the ear with a earmold.

they hybrid (or EAS, electro-acoustic stimulation) is basically for those with a high frequency loss. Cochlear and Med-El both have hybrid implants. The hybrid has a shorter electrode array so that it only stimulates the higher frequencies part of the cochlea, but the lower frequencies are left alone. Then with the processor, it has both CI and hearing aid capabilities basically.

this is Cochlear's: Electro-acoustic implants

Here's MedEl's: The EAS Hearing Implant System | MED-EL

Vocational Visit

I had a Vocational Visit today, it went pretty well. The person that visited is going recommend a phone amplifier and new hearing aids.

That's awesome!! I'm glad things are slowly moving in the right direction!:)

That nice! I will be vising my local VR office in 4 days. I have gone to the one in Ohio as that is my permanent address. Ended up going to the waiting list that is 6-9 month. Since I am college, i was able to find a way to be elligible for the VR near my college that has no waiting list.

Hoping for a FM system and new hearing aid. My CI helps a lot now and my hearing aid is really getting too weak.

Second CI evaluation

I had my second and last CI evaluation for a while. Recommnedations move up to most powerful HA's on market and wait five years. I want to just scream!!

I had my second and last CI evaluation for a while. Recommnedations move up to most powerful HA's on market and wait five years. I want to just scream!!

Have you not got more powerful HAs yet? I think it's properly not looking good when you walk in for a CI evaluation with not very powerful hearing aids?! Maybe that's why they've come up with your solution?!

Was actually three test

1. with on HA's (My usual Ski-Slope).
2. with pair off loaned Niadas(Not so steep slope)
3. Lastly with my Oticon Hits(No need to go into that)

VR-still waiting for the paper pushers to move.

Maybe with the Naidas, you do a lot better especially with sound recover.

HOH ME is finding the same with the Naidas, he/she believes they are much better.

That is pretty much what I did at my last CI appointment. They had me test in my HA's and some loaned Nadia's. It was a noticeable difference with speech perception--from 34% to 48% in my R ear and from 36% to 62% in my left. I still have major issues with recruitment and the door closing or papers shuffling, etc. was VERY loud. I had my current aid set up like that for a while and it was just painful. We will see what happens with the pair they are having me try. My right ear still qualifies for an implant and they figure what will probably happen is I will implant my right and keep my HA for my left. I'm ok with that as long as I can finally hear and understand people. Only drawback, my CI would be covered by insurance, HA's are not.

Back