Word learning in deaf children with cochlear implants

Lighthouse77

Reaction score
February 22, 2010 Learning words may be facilitated by early exposure to auditory input, according to research presented by the Indiana University School of Medicine at the American Association for the Advancement of Science Annual Meeting in San Diego, Feb. 18-22. .....

Word learning in deaf children with cochlear implants

I wonder this apply to early ASL too? And we must not forget the hyperfocusing on speech. Some of these infant wore hearing aids before they were implanted.. so what does hearing parents do? focus on speech compare how they treat hearing infants. So just because CI infant tend to keep up with hearing children, it doesn't mean early implantation is the reason. It could mean these deaf children have parents who focused a lot on speech. Because if they treated their CI children as hearing children as if CI is a cure for deafness, they probably would have been worst off than their hearing peers.

So, I personally believe it is parental involvment when it comes to deaf children rather they have ASL or CI. hearing children already have involvement from their parents because they can hear them without effort.

Last edited:
No, auditory input has no impact on ASL. That is why it is almost totally accessible .

They are talking about word learning. They are writing in a certain way to favor Cochlear implant/hearing

Yes, I would think that if you did the same study with deaf children of deaf parents using ASL, the deaf kids would have the same word learning abilities for ASL as the ones who were implanted early had for English. It would be an interesting study.

And we must not forget the hyperfocusing on speech.
Exactly.
Quite a bit of the oral sucesses may be b/c of the "helicopter parent/high acheiver parent" effect.

Not to mention that this is just WORD learning. Yes, most kids can easily pick up words but does it allow them to pick up sophiscated spoken language?
Its very common for an oral deaf kid to say stuff like " How many spiders have legs?" for " How many legs do spiders have?"

Huh??? Babies know words when exposed to ASL early. Those deaf babies didn't learn words before CI because their parents most likely don't know any signs.

Edit: it is obivous the doctors are looking for excuses to implant babies at earlier age - maybe even soon after birth. I have a friend who is against CI in babies because his son was borderline after taking the hearing test soon after birth (due to fluid in ear which was drained out much later on). The son is hearing so why the doctors are talking with his wife about CI so early. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZJ6l7jyGo[/ame]

I don't know if babies can learn to read ASL at three months because their eyes are developing, You'll have to sign something that is clear to them even with poor eyesights. but after three months, they probably can start learning

Back