will there ever be a deaf president of the United States?

August

Reaction score
i posit that there won't be.

the American people value a candidate's image above all else. nothing turns on voters more than a well-dressed, well-groomed, Christian, Harvard-educated white male (though the gender and race are becoming less important, i still think that either Obama or Clinton, if elected, would soon be assassinated, but that's another matter) worth at least $20 million who can give a rousing, brown-nosing speech in a powerful voice.

i believe the general consensus among the Republicans, especially, of a deaf presidential candidate giving a speech in sign language would be, "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DUMB SHIT!? THIS IS AMERICA, WE SPEAK ENGLISH IN THIS COUNTRY, NOT "FLAP YER HANDS AROUND"! GIVE ME A ROTTEN TOMATO!" followed by throwing rotten foods at said candidate.

the American people are morons. if we could buy our candidates from Wal-mart for $6.88, we would. anyone out of the ordinary doesn't stand a chance.

I agree.

But one day, it won't matter because we will have real cybernetics and more medical knowledge, if we don't blow ourselves up first, or have a meteor crash into the planet...

But then again people will still find a way to discriminate. I don't think 'total idiot' is a curable illness...

true. in as little as a few hundred years, it's likely that genetic disorders will be entirely eliminated by genetic engineering and everything else could practically be cured with technology, but by then the USA won't be around. nations and empires never last that long. America is an aging nation.

true. in as little as a few hundred years, it's likely that genetic disorders will be entirely eliminated by genetic engineering and everything else could practically be cured with technology, but by then the USA won't be around. nations and empires never last that long. America is an aging nation.

Good point.

But then again, 'we' will likely still be here. Not all empires completely fall. It may change, we might have a different name, but look at the 'Middle East' and China. They have been around forever it seems, long before America ever existed. Europe has been around a very long time in some form or another, also.

Bill Clinton was hoh. Besides, we've had a president in a wheelchair. (FDR)

WAIT!

Even though we do not yet have Deaf as US president... Will it ever happen, anything is possible... I can prove it.

FDR (Franklin D. Roosevelt) was disabled with Polio, he can't walk. I am serious, he can NOT work. But he faked the whole thing fooled the public, he ended up re-elected twice!

So, there will be a day that whoever will indeed fool the public thinking he or she is hearing when he or she is really Deaf!

Just watch, only time will tell.

Good point.

But then again, 'we' will likely still be here. Not all empires completely fall. It may change, we might have a different name, but look at the 'Middle East' and China. They have been around forever it seems, long before America ever existed. Europe has been around a very long time in some form or another, also.
those examples don't really work. you have to look at the political institutions of these places. of course China's been around for thousands of years. in fact, more like billions. same with Europe. continents tend to outlast civilizations. but the power struggles throughout China, Europe and the Middle East through the last 1000 years or so have been relatively constant.

as diehardbiker pointed out, FDR's polio was a well-kept secret for much of his presidency. if he was completely unable to walk and had to make his first campaign in a wheelchair, i really doubt he would have been elected. masses of people tend to think of things in the simplest and stupidest terms, for example, "he can't walk, therefore he's both a physically and morally weak man and unfit to lead"

as for Clinton, i was just a pup during most of his presidency, but as far as i can remember, he never made televised speeches or major appearances with two bulky hearing aids on. i bet most people don't even know he was hard of hearing. and, of course, he didn't have a deaf accent or anything obvious to give him away.

America is what we called - "low fertility, low mortality." So do Japan, UK, and most of well-developed nations. America's population depends on immigration to offset the population loss. I don't think genetic disorders will be entirely eliminated by genetic engineering nor technology. Why? because there will be newer, tougher disease - something more devastating and ruthless than AIDS. When you say in as little as a few hundred years - that means we'll probably be exploring in space as well - space disease. AIDS will be eliminated for sure but not common cold/flu.

Clinton was HOH in one of the ears, if I remember correctly. He's one of those baby boomers who have degrading hearing.

Well, its not feasible for America to have deaf President..
but here in New York we do have an handicapped Governor
that is legally blind! His name is David Paterson..he is doing
very well but recently he had to go into the hospital because
he had complained of migraine headache as he never had them
before, found out that he had glaucoma in his eyes..poor guy!
I think it is treatable, though so he should be ok.

as diehardbiker pointed out, FDR's polio was a well-kept secret for much of his presidency. if he was completely unable to walk and had to make his first campaign in a wheelchair, i really doubt he would have been elected. masses of people tend to think of things in the simplest and stupidest terms, for example, "he can't walk, therefore he's both a physically and morally weak man and unfit to lead"

FDR's secret was hard to be found when the media was not strong. Today the media is powerful and control the candidate. Eisenhower would never been a president if media ran the way they do today. He was not good looking president and did not have a good presentation skills. However, he did a good job leading a nation for his term. If you saw footage from his campaign, you will drop on floor and laugh so hard!

Media is what control the presidency candidates. Obama is winning because he is going to emotion side of the America. Hillary is winning because she is in process of possible first woman president.

We need to look at how we can portrait to the media correctly and play to our advantage. CI deaf maybe can get by. More likely Female Deaf president than deaf male president.

Its always a possibilities if we can hide it well.

We're having enough trouble getting a hearing Black man elected. Let's take this one step at a time.:D

America is what we called - "low fertility, low mortality." So do Japan, UK, and most of well-developed nations. America's population depends on immigration to offset the population loss. I don't think genetic disorders will be entirely eliminated by genetic engineering nor technology. Why? because there will be newer, tougher disease - something more devastating and ruthless than AIDS. When you say in as little as a few hundred years - that means we'll probably be exploring in space as well - space disease. AIDS will be eliminated for sure but not common cold/flu.
i don't know how you can claim AIDS will be eliminated and not the common cold. i stand by my claim, i think in a few hundred, or perhaps a few thousand years we will be capable of engineering humans that would be born with mutation-proof antibodies to all viral and bacterial infections.

we've already been exploring in space and astronauts have yet to report any "space disease". organisms don't just float out in space; it's highly unlikely that anything in the universe could survive in near-absolute zero with no oxygen or food and almost no light, for however many millions or billions of light-years it would have to float out there before it made contact with humans. some kind of ultra-deadly space pathogen could be out there, but it would have to be protected in some kind of vessel, like a broken-off chunk of a far-away planet ripped apart by an asteroid or whatever. however, something like that would be definite proof that life exists outside of earth and would be like the most amazing damn discovery in the history of forever.

Back