Why Would You NOT Choose A CI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This statement bolded in red shows that u are implying that deaf people who rely on sign language are not successful. U just have insulted so many people here.

:gpost::gpost::gpost:

You, and the numerous deaf indviduals like you are the successes that are ignored by the oralists. Why would you, and the other individuals like you choose not to have a CI? Because it is not necessary to achieve a higher quality of life than you are capable of achieving without a CI.

It is too bad that so many people cant see how many successful deaf people there are out there who dont have CIs. CIs are not the answer. I know so many people with CIs who are living off on welfare and/or SSI.

They "dissolve" in the hearing world? Quite often that is exactly what happens. They live in that never never land of in between. Very, very sad, indeed.
Cloggy, that is where you are SO wrong. CI kids are classfied as basicly hoh. Us hoh folks have been pushed towards the hearing world for as long as the oral option has been around. Yet, we have not done better then Signers.
You know, even those with good oral skills may have significent social-emotional issues (sort of like kids with learning disabilites) Very few oral only folks have the abilty to completly and totally assimulate into the hearing world.
Oh, and an ASL onlier wouldn't be able to talk to an oral-only CIer.....but you also have that sitution between two dhh orally skilled folks. I have a friend who has oral skills, but she's so hard to understand (even hearies think she's very hard to undy) that its beyond frustrating trying to interact with her.

Any further posts made by you to degrade me or to insult my intelliegence, I will not answer.
Strange that that's the way you feel about my posts, since that's the last thing I wanted to do..

Can you explain where you felt "degraded" or "insulted"??
And where did I enforce my idea's upon you??

So easy to use those words and thereby making the insinuation as if that has been done..

How should I feel about things like "Parents choose Ci for themself." ... that could be regarded as an insult, but I choose not to look at it like that.

Cloggy, in answer to your question on when my friends got CI... when they were 1, 2 years old......
Looking forward to reading about the experiences of your friends that were implanted at age 1-2..
Since implanting at that age started about 4-5 years ago (for age 2, let's not start about CI at age 1) - they must now be about 6-7 years old..
Old enough to be your friends.... I guess.

How old are you?

My feeling is that you have not seen the children that are successful. They dissolve in the hearing world and are doing fine. You will not meet them, and possibly you will not be able to communicate with them..
As usual, u are on your high horse and feel the need to insult a deaf poster who doesnt believe in the same things as you do.

This statement bolded in red shows that u are implying that deaf people who rely on sign language are not successful. U just have insulted so many people here.

This person explained that he/she has a condition that puts him/her at a high risk for something happening during the surgery. Why insult that?
Insulting?
I was talking about the children with CI that have no problem hearing communicating using speech. They do not know ASL, and with that combination they dissolve in the crowd.

So, please get of your high horse every time someone does not share your opinion.. and stop reading insults in posts that you do not agree with. It's quite insulting you (and others) interpreting posts as insulting when they are not.
btw... how on earth did you get to that conclusion that I intended to say that "deaf people who rely on sign language are not successful."...
Or - again, is that just a clever way to put insults in my mouth...

Because, you (and others) know very well that that is not what I believe... on the contrary.

Over and out... and please, feel free to have the final word and get back on topic....

Strange that that's the way you feel about my posts, since that's the last thing I wanted to do..

Can you explain where you felt "degraded" or "insulted"??
And where did I enforce my idea's upon you??

So easy to use those words and thereby making the insinuation as if that has been done..

How should I feel about things like "Parents choose Ci for themself." ... that could be regarded as an insult, but I choose not to look at it like that.

It just felt like you were not letting me have my own opinion. Everything I state, you question. This is not the thread for that.

I never said "parents choose CI for themselves". Re-read my
posts.

The implantation of young toddlers actually started much earlier - my friends (and I) are all in our late 20's. It's the implantation of infants younger than a year old that started about 4-5 years ago.

I remember when I was 12 my science teacher (at the state school for the deaf) talking about his conversation with a pair of parents who got their 2 year old implanted. That was in 1992.

I am not against CI, it is just not for me.

Last post I'm making in this thread.

Insulting?
I was talking about the children with CI that have no problem hearing communicating using speech. They do not know ASL, and with that combination they dissolve in the crowd.

So, please get of your high horse every time someone does not share your opinion.. and stop reading insults in posts that you do not agree with. It's quite insulting you (and others) interpreting posts as insulting when they are not.
btw... how on earth did you get to that conclusion that I intended to say that "deaf people who rely on sign language are not successful."...

Because, you (and others) know very well that that is not what I believe... on the contrary.

Over and out... and please, feel free to have the final word and get back on topic....

It is insulting when one makes assumptions about another person's ability to communicate with others or not. You stated "you probably wouldnt be able to communicate...." right there, that is insulting because many of us had to endure people dictating on who we can or cant communicate with...

not only that, u didnt even ask this poster if he/she had oral skills along with ASL..just assumed that this person had no oral skills so how would you knwo if he/she couldnt communicate with CI users.

That was why I saw it as insulting...maybe in your point of view, it is not but for many deaf people, it is cuz we spent most of our lives dealing with assumptions like that.

If u still dont agree with me that's fine but I am just letting u know why it was percieved as an insult.

Ok..back to the topic..

Insulting?

By "disolve in the crowd" we can assume you are speaking of cultural assimilation. In that reference, your claims are totally innacurrate. Please look around you at the number of oral deaf communicators both with and without CI that continue to experience psychosocial and emotional difficulties based on the fact that they are stuck between worlds. Never fully assimilated into the hearing world, and refused exposure by their hearing families of origin to the deaf world. Look around at how many oral communicators come late to the Deaf Culture and comment on having the feeling that they have finally come home after spending their childhood in a never never land of oralism and forced assimilation that actually magnified their difference rather than facillitating their assimilation.

Those stories resonate in the deaf/Deaf community, and they are a common thread that runs through the deaf community. Those stories are told on this board over and over and over agian, and the only ones not paying attention are those that are continuing to propose such harmful practices as those that have created the situation that made those sad stories a part of reality for so many.

I've said it before, and I will continue to say it. You need to stop viewing the deaf, and in particualr the deaf child, as nothing more than a pair of ears and a mouth. They are holistic beings, and as such, deafness affects them as holistic beings.

I've said it before, and I will continue to say it. You need to stop viewing the deaf, and in particualr the deaf child, as nothing more than a pair of ears and a mouth.
You should stop insinuating that that would be what I think. Stop projecting your twisted ideas regarding hearing parents of deaf children upon me.!!

I know you're good at insulting people between the lines and by accusing them of saying things they never said, etc.. but please don't assume you know what I think or how I view deaf people....

Why NOT choose a CI:

Well...In my opinion there are lots of reasons and everyone has their own reasons why...everyone is different and unique in their own ways. I am actually considering a cochlear implant and it took me a year and a half to decide. However, I feel this topic "why not choose a CI?" to be interesting. I've asked myself that question several times. I grew up with a sensorineural hearing loss and wore 2 HA. I grew up oral with help of speech therapy and relied on lipreading, therefore, in my case considered getting a CI. I haven't had the surgery yet, but will in May. I have 3 small children all are hearing and basically all my friends and family are hearing or hard of hearing... However, If I grew up using sign language as my only language and never really used my voice, I wouldn't consider a CI because I would be comfortable with the way I am as Deaf than considering a CI to hear. If you never really heard much sounds, I would assume it would be kinda scary to all of the sudden come from no sounds to a lot of sounds. I guess, it is true that many people have their own opinion on NOT choosing a CI and I respect their choice.

You should stop insinuating that that would be what I think. Stop projecting your twisted ideas regarding hearing parents of deaf children upon me.!!

I know you're good at insulting people between the lines and by accusing them of saying things they never said, etc.. but please don't assume you know what I think or how I view deaf people....

No need to assume, cloggy. Your posts say it all.

A few here are hoping the two hostile factions have had enough oportunities to air their views and will now take a step back and let posters like Mellenart have a chance. Mellenart is going to get an implant, yet still finds interest in weighing considerations for not getting a CI.

A few here are hoping the two hostile factions have had enough oportunities to air their views and will now take a step back and let posters like Mellenart have a chance. Mellenart is going to get an implant, yet still finds interest in weighing considerations for not getting a CI.

Dont hold your breath Chase, I do believe some on here thrive on the insults and insinuations. Anyway it livens my day up reading their comic posts....lol

Added by Chase: You're so evil, Kat! Must be something bad wrong with me, 'cause I love it. Hee hee.

Last edited by a moderator:
It just felt like you were not letting me have my own opinion. Everything I state, you question. This is not the thread for that.

I never said "parents choose CI for themselves". Re-read my
posts.

The implantation of young toddlers actually started much earlier - my friends (and I) are all in our late 20's. It's the implantation of infants younger than a year old that started about 4-5 years ago.

I remember when I was 12 my science teacher (at the state school for the deaf) talking about his conversation with a pair of parents who got their 2 year old implanted. That was in 1992.

I am not against CI, it is just not for me.

Last post I'm making in this thread.

2 year old implant in 1992?

I could be mistaken but didn't FDA recently approved implantation 5-6 year ago for younger childerns and since then only teen and adult could be implanted back then?

I thought I read that somewhere then again I was only got my CI 4 year ago and I could be wrong.

Donno, TechBill. I only know from my friends' experiences. :dunno2: I *THINK* it's always been okay to do the implants on toddlers.

Mellinart, :) I hope the CI will work for you! I too have a sensorineural loss, and I can hear so good with my digital hearing aids. I very much doubt a CI would be any better. :) Even if I wanted it now, I doubt I could afford the batteries and stuff. I'm only a poor college student! :D

Mod's Note;

The thread is closed for 2 reasons:

1) The thread creator has requested for it to be closed.

2) The insults/bashing/provoking/enticing has continued despite the warning that I have gave out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back