Which you prefer deaf church with deaf pastor, or interpreter at church?

which you prefer ?

• Interpreter with hearing church

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Deaf church with the deaf pastor

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Deaf sunday school class at hearing church and interpreter at hearing worship services in church

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No interpreter for the deaf at hearing church

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throwstones

Reaction score
I prefer to have deaf pastor and deaf church because I am deaf as equal with deaf church in my deaf language and culture better than hearing church with interpreter makes me boring and not really fully pay attention at all.

Throwstones :angel:

Last edited:
I like both. Bec we are the Body of Christ. If mostly deaf are ASL, interpreter should be the same. If Deaf pastor teaching the deaf to penetrate the hearts by the Holy Spirit be great. Both songs and sermons are important, not one over the other. Important part what God honors is those who worship Him in Spirit and Truth, not by just going to church and songs and sermons leaks out of your eyes, or ears or your thoughts. If interpreters, important is not what interpreter decide what to sign by themselves, but for the deaf to understand what interpreter interpret the songs and sermons. If deaf church, must have good sense of signing of the songs as much as sermons. Sadly, many deaf didn't think songs is important, which it is important. I love signing the songs in ASL to pictured who God is and what He has done and also, personal express in Spirit and worship. Either contemporary or traditions. To me, there is so much controversial about the way deaf way of leading and following hearing. To me, its from the heart, and sincere of way of worship. If singing is boring, then don't say, I wait to heaven to sing not here. If so, what would Jesus thinks? Those who lead music, must understand them and ask the Lord for guidance and help which lead him or her to express in Spirit, makes a whole lot different.

Once I attended deaf church with deaf priests, I loved it but too far for me to drive there.

I perfer deaf church over hearing church with interpters.

hottiedeafboi said:
I like both. Bec we are the Body of Christ. If mostly deaf are ASL, interpreter should be the same. If Deaf pastor teaching the deaf to penetrate the hearts by the Holy Spirit be great. Both songs and sermons are important, not one over the other. Important part what God honors is those who worship Him in Spirit and Truth, not by just going to church and songs and sermons leaks out of your eyes, or ears or your thoughts. If interpreters, important is not what interpreter decide what to sign by themselves, but for the deaf to understand what interpreter interpret the songs and sermons. If deaf church, must have good sense of signing of the songs as much as sermons. Sadly, many deaf didn't think songs is important, which it is important. I love signing the songs in ASL to pictured who God is and what He has done and also, personal express in Spirit and worship. Either contemporary or traditions. To me, there is so much controversial about the way deaf way of leading and following hearing. To me, its from the heart, and sincere of way of worship. If singing is boring, then don't say, I wait to heaven to sing not here. If so, what would Jesus thinks? Those who lead music, must understand them and ask the Lord for guidance and help which lead him or her to express in Spirit, makes a whole lot different.

we can not hear music and it may be hard on some of us to watch others to enjoy music while we can't. Why do we need to do what hearing do when u know we can't be alike them. We are expressing ourself to Lord in different way. I perfer deaf church and deaf preacher over hearing church with signless pastors unless they are signers. I don't mean to insult but I feel fit in deaf church instead of hearing church which they are meant for hearing people.

Oh, I'm not against your perspective. But "hearing" the music is not my tendency, but feeling music and also seeing music thru sign language made the whole lot different. In deaf world, all worship different ways. God honors those who worship in truth and Spirit. SMILE

:) I myself go to a church with a Deaf pastor. 2 times a month, our deaf pastor will do the Mass, and the other 2 times, it is with a hearing priest and an interpreter.

I myself enjoy watching our Deaf pastor, as he puts so much expression and feeling into his signing when he does the Mass.

This is actually a subject being discussed between Hillel and Wolk at RIT... There's desire to integrate the two groups more, have more deaf students go to the Hillel events (and Shabbat services) and more hearing students go to the Wolk events, but there's a lot of complex issues about interpreting religious services, especially when prayer in a language other than English is involved. I personally don't have a preference, though.

My church is getting a priest who knows ASL, but currently we have interpreters. (I'm one of the 'terps there.) We may start having Masses in ASL. I'm not 100% sure, though. The next priest is also a volunteer interpreter too.

Some of the Masses are in English and Spanish, too, and i can interpret those no problem because I'm fluent in those two languages too. The Deafies and hearies who understand both English and Spanish get the most out of those Masses, of course! :mrgreen:

I like to have a Deaf pastor and Deaf church services if possible and also I do not mind having a hearing pastor and going to interpreted church services.

church

gnulinuxman said:
My church is getting a priest who knows ASL, but currently we have interpreters. (I'm one of the 'terps there.) We may start having Masses in ASL. I'm not 100% sure, though. The next priest is also a volunteer interpreter too.

Some of the Masses are in English and Spanish, too, and i can interpret those no problem because I'm fluent in those two languages too. The Deafies and hearies who understand both English and Spanish get the most out of those Masses, of course! :mrgreen:

I go to his church so yeah its true and my poll: interpreter at hearing worship services in church or Interpreter with hearing church so there!!!!!!!!!!!

Deaflinuxgeek

Last edited:
As far as I know my only option in this area is to attend a church with interpreted services. My only complaint about that is that the interpreters are primarily asl (and not that great at it, at that) and tend to summarize what the pastor is saying. I grew up with pse so if I don't get in depth details I don't feel as if I'm learning anything.

Saline Eyes said:
As far as I know my only option in this area is to attend a church with interpreted services. My only complaint about that is that the interpreters are primarily asl (and not that great at it, at that) and tend to summarize what the pastor is saying. I grew up with pse so if I don't get in depth details I don't feel as if I'm learning anything.
I grew up oral then pse and now asl. I know asl seem like it summarized, but its not, its the concept of interpretation. If not understand what sermon is clear to yo, interpreter will be happy to help you so you can understand better, there's nothing wrong or shame to do so. We re the Body of Christ and we should help each other to grow. Talk with interpreter if something you may lost in the way or say not understand it clearly. I ve been there, smile

hottiedeafboi said:
I grew up oral then pse and now asl. I know asl seem like it summarized, but its not, its the concept of interpretation. If not understand what sermon is clear to yo, interpreter will be happy to help you so you can understand better, there's nothing wrong or shame to do so. We re the Body of Christ and we should help each other to grow. Talk with interpreter if something you may lost in the way or say not understand it clearly. I ve been there, smile
Good advice. As a church terp, I would happily explain anything that was confusing.

The thing is, nothing that the interpreter is signing is at all confusing. I understand what is being interpreted but I am able to follow the pastor enough to know that there are deeper levels to what's being said and it's not being interpreted. Unfortunately, this pastor's quite animated and likes to pace the aisles so I can't lip read continuously.

Today in America There are not many deaf pastors to be called to preach in the deaf church. We need more deaf pastors to preach in the deaf churches but not many. There are few reasons why deaf pastors do not have enough money to make living from the deaf churches so have secular jobs to support himself and family. DO you know why?? Because deafies do not understand about tithes??? huhuh???

If any of you are of the Episcopalian persuasion, this might interest you. It is a national directory of church services for the deaf. http://www.ecdeaf.com/natdir.html

One of my good friends is a priest, and she is deaf. I noticed it was very hard for her to become a priest because she had to endure prejudices of a few certain professors at her old seminary who did not want to see her succeed. But she did, on her own right. No one made it easy for her.. that would be just insulting. :)

Having met her in person at her ordination, I can very easily tell that she was born to be a priest.. and that it was her true calling. She never gave up despite the roadblocks of prejudiced attitudes on deafness.

Fortunately, she has tenacity and some very supportive friends. ;) Don't get me wrong, she is very, very intelligent..she sure knows her stuff. Might give those Mensa guys a run for their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back