What is the quality of Gallaudet nowadays?

I seriously doubt that it is true. As you know, in order to achieve accredidation, they have to comply with set standards in curriculum. Gallaudet doesn't set those standards. The accrediting body does.

Well, it may have been true; otherwise they wouldn't have been cited by MSCHE on 8 points of the program in totality. They, last month, lifted the sanction but Gallaudet still must complete all the points to that body's satisfaction by a date in the near future. Led by Davila, many groups on campus have been working very diligently towards that goal and he (he personally Vlogs weekly on this and many other issues on the campus to keep everyone aware and in touch) is satisfied with what's been accomplished so far. Even the students this semester have noticed a difference and are having to work harder.

Well, it may have been true; otherwise they wouldn't have been cited by MSCHE on 8 points of the program in totality. They, last month, lifted the sanction but Gallaudet still must complete all the points to that body's satisfaction by a date in the near future. Led by Davila, many groups on campus have been working very diligently towards that goal and he (he personally Vlogs weekly on this and many other issues on the campus to keep everyone aware and in touch) is satisfied with what's been accomplished so far. Even the students this semester have noticed a difference and are having to work harder.

Agree that there were definately some cases of deficiency that needed to be straightened out, but they were put on probation and given the opportunity to bring the school back up to accredidation standards. While 8 points in the citation is cause for concern, it is not the worst rating. Things appear to be looking up for Gally.

Ok..we wont focus on that then. As for the level of education at the University, that is a good question and it should be asked. I would hope it has improved.

I would hope so too, Shel.

Those lowered standards are a direct result of so many oftheir deaf students coming from mainstream programs that lowered their expectation of deaf students.
Many universities in the U.S. practice open enrollment policies for hearing students. That means the only qualification for admission ois being able to fill out an application and pay an application fee.

This is the quote that you mentioned and I inquired about it....

Now it seems that there are multiple idealogies that are being thrown about it here and we are starting to get 'muddled', so to speak.
Thus confusing a lot of people on here especially moi. :lol:

I agree that Gallaudet should not lower their standards. No argument from me on that one. I was simply offering an explanation for why they have had to lower admissions requirements and offer more developmental courses. It has nothing to do with the quality of education that students are receiving at Gally, but is due to the fact that students are arriving at the college unprepared to do college level work. That is the fault of previous education, not Gally. Just like the kids that arrive at your school fromthe mainstream that are unprepared to do grade level work. Not the fault of your school, but the failure of the system they were in before they got to you.

I agree that Gallaudet should not lower their standards.

Not only the mainstream schools but residential schools as well.

Often times, an employer receives resumes from numerous applicants that are qualified for the job. Other things are taken into consideration to narrow the field of qualified candidates. Perhaps the other candidate had more experience in the field. There are any number of reasons that rule out one candidate that have nothing to do with meeting the basic employment requirements. Unless you were invloved in the hiring process, you really have no idea what was taken into consideration.

I was involved in the hiring process but could not make the final decision due to personal conflict of knowing both job candidates.

If you want to get updated information of Gallaudet's quality of education and standings. Go to Gallaudet website and click on the president vlog. He explains where they are at as of December 2007 and then goes on to tell the plans for 2008.

That doesnt make sense cuz I was mainstreamed all my life and I didnt face any discrimination in the application and testing procedures at Gallaudet. In fact, when I went to a hearing college, I was automatically placed in remedial English and math classes even though I had passed the placement tests. I had to fight with them to put me in Eng 101 and Mat 101 classes during my first semester. I was puzzled to why I got placed in the remedial classes while my hearing friend who got lower scores than I did got placed in the college level classes. Now, that would be discrimination.

Interesting because it was the opposite for me.

:gpost:

I don't think it is so much discrimination of the deaf students coming from the mainstream as it is criticism of the way the mainstream is serving their deaf students. It is certainly not the student's fault if they were not served properly by the instituion entrusted with their education.

I agree. The other thing I think that we all can agree on is that the education of both deaf and hearing---SUCKS in this country! :lol:

If one is wondering about the private schools. They're not in that great shape either!

But here's the sticky part - there is actually no national standard of education as there is in other countries such as Canada. The standards for entrance to college is left up to each individual states, and the required 'credits' to graduate from that particular school district.

For example the year I graduated high school there were 17 required 'credits' to earn your high school diploma. At a neighboring school district there were only 14 required credits. Many students who were failing at my school were transferring out to the neighboring school that required fewer credits so they could 'graduate on time.' Very ridiculous in my opinion.

We need to push for a NATIONAL standard of education for high school and college students so that everyone is required to learn the same basic material while still able to specialize in their chosen majors of study. This way there is a better chance that ALL students not only have acces to equal educational opportunities, but that it is REQUIRED that each student is given the same education as another student on the other side of the country.

What do you think?

But here's the sticky part - there is actually no national standard of education as there is in other countries such as Canada. The standards for entrance to college is left up to each individual states, and the required 'credits' to graduate from that particular school district.

For example the year I graduated high school there were 17 required 'credits' to earn your high school diploma. At a neighboring school district there were only 14 required credits. Many students who were failing at my school were transferring out to the neighboring school that required fewer credits so they could 'graduate on time.' Very ridiculous in my opinion.

We need to push for a NATIONAL standard of education for high school and college students so that everyone is required to learn the same basic material while still able to specialize in their chosen majors of study. This way there is a better chance that ALL students not only have acces to equal educational opportunities, but that it is REQUIRED that each student is given the same education as another student on the other side of the country.

What do you think?

Isn't that what they were trying to work on with "No Child Left Behind" law few years ago?

You obviously have an extremely limited understanding of both Stokes' findings and linguistics.
Insulting again?

Ah, sorry. Didn't know you needed a degree in order to see that there is a huge difference between ASL and Speech. (Because that's all I said.)

Admission to Gallaudet, even today, is open to students with no better than an 8th grade reading level, let alone reading and language skills commensurate with customary collegiate entrance requirements elsewhere. Indeed, according to a report of the Commission on Education of the Deaf (1988), "in spite of several decades of concentrated effort to improve the figures, the average reading level of deaf high school graduates remains at roughly the 3rd or 4th grade equivalent."
Eighth grade level isn't THAT bad. Even many hearing students have difficulty reading and writing....and no, I'm not just talking abt the LD kids. I have friends who teach English, and they say that a lot of hearing kids cannot articualte their thoughts on paper very well.
Also, that quote is from 1988.....almost twenty years ago. That deaf population ALSO includes dum....da...dum ORAL kids....it's not just ASL-using kids who do badly!

Eighth grade level isn't THAT bad. Even many hearing students have difficulty reading and writing....and no, I'm not just talking abt the LD kids. I have friends who teach English, and they say that a lot of hearing kids cannot articualte their thoughts on paper very well.
Also, that quote is from 1988.....almost twenty years ago. That deaf population ALSO includes dum....da...dum ORAL kids....it's not just ASL-using kids who do badly!
Will other universities accept students with only 8th grade level?

disclaimer: i am a grammar nazi.

eight grade level is terrible. there is no reason for anyone to not reach past 12th grade when they're of college age. while deaf people may read enough, they don't write or communicate in pure english enough. they rely on asl as their preferred crutch and that's the price they pay for doing so.

while i realize it may be the fault of deaf schools, it is also the fault of parents that do not supplement their children's english grade level with constant stimulation.

well, to be frank, no major university would accept an eight-grade-reading-level student. gallaudet/ntid would be their only comfort choice.

Insulting again?

Ah, sorry. Didn't know you needed a degree in order to see that there is a huge difference between ASL and Speech. (Because that's all I said.)

How is that insulting? Its a statement of fact. If your limited understanding is insulting to you, then the solution is to spend some time becoming more informed.

disclaimer: i am a grammar nazi.

eight grade level is terrible. there is no reason for anyone to not reach past 12th grade when they're of college age. while deaf people may read enough, they don't write or communicate in pure english enough. they rely on asl as their preferred crutch and that's the price they pay for doing so.

while i realize it may be the fault of deaf schools,
it is also the fault of parents that do not supplement their children's english grade level with constant stimulation.

well, to be frank, no major university would accept an eight-grade-reading-level student. gallaudet/ntid would be their only comfort choice.

It is just too bad that the majority of students at the deaf schools got enrolled there at a later age after falling so far behind in the oral/mainstreamed programs due to not being able to pick up on language. It is the deaf schools that are stuck trying to do remedial work to get those students caught up. Nope, it doesnt help when the parents refuse to learn sign for their children so they go home to a non-stimulating environment. The deaf school's fault? I dont know how that can be.

It is just too bad that the majority of students at the deaf schools got enrolled there at a later age after falling so far behind in the oral/mainstreamed programs due to not being able to pick up on language. It is the deaf schools that are stuck trying to do remedial work to get those students caught up. Nope, it doesnt help when the parents refuse to learn sign for their children so they go home to a non-stimulating environment. The deaf school's fault? I dont know how that can be.

It is most definately not the schools fault. As a matter of fact, I know, from personal experience, that a deaf school has edcuated one person I am extremely close to so well that he was admoitted to a major university with an academic scholarship.

hmm, my experience is with deaf students who go directly to deaf schools since childhood, not those who were mainstreamed and then enrolled into a deaf school. a few years ago, i saw that many deaf schools' curriculum were subpar compared to my high school's curriculum. i do not know if it has improved today. also, i found a fundamental flaw when i went to the maryland school for the deaf a few years ago: a teacher was teaching english via ASL. i thought that was obscure, lol. then again, i wouldn't know what other methods they'd employ - maybe SEE ;o

when i was speaking of parents, i wasn't referring to hearing parents refusing to learn sign language. i was referring to deaf parents that fail to reinforce the english language throughout the house, thus lacking constant stimulation of english.

Back