What is the quality of Gallaudet nowadays?

And, please, cloggy....this is another thread that would be more appropriate in the Deaf Education thread.

Uhmm....they are in college. They should have more studying to do and less partying.

Interesting topic.

I remember when there were two deaf people that graduated from two different collges for the same position in a company. The one graduated from Ohio State University, the other graduated from Gallaudet.

Who got the job?

The one from Ohio State due to name recognition of the school.[/

QUOTE]

Is that what the company told both applicants?

Both applicants were qualified for the job. They gave the job to the one from Ohio State as the person doing the interview admitted that she never heard of Gallaudet.

I agree about the lowered standards from the mainstreamed programs but that doesnt mean Gallaudet should do that as well. I mean, for the graduates to get high paying jobs, they have to achieve the mastery of English required. Gallaudet needs to be held accountable if its giving degrees to students who dont have high literacy skills. If that article is false about that issue, then that's great! All of my friends who have degrees from Gallaudet have pretty decent English skills but some of them still make common grammatical errors so that is what hurts them in some situations.

I agree that Gallaudet should not lower their standards. No argument from me on that one. I was simply offering an explanation for why they have had to lower admissions requirements and offer more developmental courses. It has nothing to do with the quality of education that students are receiving at Gally, but is due to the fact that students are arriving at the college unprepared to do college level work. That is the fault of previous education, not Gally. Just like the kids that arrive at your school fromthe mainstream that are unprepared to do grade level work. Not the fault of your school, but the failure of the system they were in before they got to you.

Those lowered standards are a direct result of so many oftheir deaf students coming from mainstream programs that lowered their expectation of deaf students.

Many universities in the U.S. practice open enrollment policies for hearing students. That means the only qualification for admission ois being able to fill out an application and pay an application fee.

That doesn't make sense. Why would Gallaudet lower its expectations of the deaf students coming from mainstream schools?

Many mainstream students that attend a deaf college/university usually find the education atmosphere unwelcoming to them and thus many choose to transfer out to a hearing/mainstream college/university to continue their education with much success.

I personally knew one student who attended a deaf college from a mainstream school. This particular school placed this student in remedial English courses, math courses, etc. The student left after completing one year and transfer to a hearing college. While at the hearing college, he was placed in advance English and math due to his skills and graduated Magna Cum Laude from the hearing college.

This scenario makes me wonder: what are they testing deaf students from mainstream schools with? Also is the deaf college/university being biased towards the deaf students from mainstream schools?

It's apparent that they are.

Both applicants were qualified for the job. They gave the job to the one from Ohio State as the person doing the interview admitted that she never heard of Gallaudet.

Often times, an employer receives resumes from numerous applicants that are qualified for the job. Other things are taken into consideration to narrow the field of qualified candidates. Perhaps the other candidate had more experience in the field. There are any number of reasons that rule out one candidate that have nothing to do with meeting the basic employment requirements. Unless you were invloved in the hiring process, you really have no idea what was taken into consideration.

I agree that Gallaudet should not lower their standards. No argument from me on that one. I was simply offering an explanation for why they have had to lower admissions requirements and offer more developmental courses. It has nothing to do with the quality of education that students are receiving at Gally, but is due to the fact that students are arriving at the college unprepared to do college level work. That is the fault of previous education, not Gally. Just like the kids that arrive at your school fromthe mainstream that are unprepared to do grade level work. Not the fault of your school, but the failure of the system they were in before they got to you.

I was speaking of lowering the standards to achieve the college degrees. That article stated that is what Gallaudet is doing so I am wondering if it is true or not. If it is true, then I disagree with that practice...if it is not true, then great!

That doesn't make sense. Why would Gallaudet lower its expectations of the deaf students coming from mainstream schools?
That is not what I said. Please re read the post.

Many mainstream students that attend a deaf college/university usually find the education atmosphere unwelcoming to them and thus many choose to transfer out to a hearing/mainstream college/university to continue their education with much success.

I personally knew one student who attended a deaf college from a mainstream school. This particular school placed this student in remedial English courses, math courses, etc. The student left after completing one year and transfer to a hearing college. While at the hearing college, he was placed in advance English and math due to his skills and graduated Magna Cum Laude from the hearing college.

Perhaps that is because he completed the developmental courses at the deaf college. Or perhaps because the hearing college had lower standards than the deaf college. If they practiced open enrollment, that is entirely likely.

This scenario makes me wonder: what are they testing deaf students from mainstream schools with? Also is the deaf college/university being biased towards the deaf students from mainstream schools?

How exactly, do you reach that conclusion?

I was speaking of lowering the standards to achieve the college degrees. That article stated that is what Gallaudet is doing so I am wondering if it is true or not. If it is true, then I disagree with that practice...if it is not true, then great!

I seriously doubt that it is true. As you know, in order to achieve accredidation, they have to comply with set standards in curriculum. Gallaudet doesn't set those standards. The accrediting body does.

That doesnt make sense cuz I was mainstreamed all my life and I didnt face any discrimination in the application and testing procedures at Gallaudet. In fact, when I went to a hearing college, I was automatically placed in remedial English and math classes even though I had passed the placement tests. I had to fight with them to put me in Eng 101 and Mat 101 classes during my first semester. I was puzzled to why I got placed in the remedial classes while my hearing friend who got lower scores than I did got placed in the college level classes. Now, that would be discrimination.

Just a thought.

Hey, cloggy! How about you sharing some information with us regarding the state of education for the deaf in Norway? You know, policies, procedures, standards, levels of education attained, literacy rates, etc. We can get a little multi-cultural educational exchange going on.

Its entirely possible that open-enrollment universities might have a lower standard for enrollment in to 'collegiate level' courses.

But then again many high schools across America have been known to inflate the grades of students to make them feel like they were performing at a higher level than they really were and when it came to take the college entrance exams they bombed out terribly and thus were placed in remediation courses.

Often high school students take the ACT or SAT only once, and often its during their tenth grade year, not as high school seniors about to graduate from high school to post-secondary education. So this could also be a part of the problem. So if they take it two years before graduation, it is highly likely that they are not going to score well enough to do college level work.

Also even community colleges seem to have 'lower' expectations of their enrolling students since they are coming to junior college and not to a 4 year university.

Here in my local area, both post-secondary education institutions have open enrollment. Where the incoming students need to just give them a copy of their high school transcript, high school diploma or GED, and a copy of their most recent ACT/SAT scores. And the students pay the processing fee and the first semesters tuition and they are in.

I do wish though that ALL high schools required exit exams for graduating high school, no pass means you repeat and take remediation as needed. Once you pass the next year you are allowed to graduate high school.

Once that is done, then for enrollment into college you should be required to take a collegiate entrance exam that CANNOT be taken before graduating high school. They test you on the ability to handle collegiate level literacy, mathematics, and science. How well you do overall is going to determine what courses you get to take. This way the scores are more accurate and students needing remediation are given remediation, those not needing remediation are given the go-ahead to pursue their degrees. This isnt discrimination, this is just making sure that all students are adequately prepared to do the work and will graduate with all needed requirements and no more 'half-fitted' graduates or at least fewer of them.

Overall I hope that Gallaudet recieves its much sought out re-accreditation, all students - deaf or hearing deserve the same level of education that will better prepare them for the work force.

The one thing that bothers me though is the discrimination of deaf students coming from mainstream programs.....

Its entirely possible that open-enrollment universities might have a lower standard for enrollment in to 'collegiate level' courses.

But then again many high schools across America have been known to inflate the grades of students to make them feel like they were performing at a higher level than they really were and when it came to take the college entrance exams they bombed out terribly and thus were placed in remediation courses.

Often high school students take the ACT or SAT only once, and often its during their tenth grade year, not as high school seniors about to graduate from high school to post-secondary education. So this could also be a part of the problem. So if they take it two years before graduation, it is highly likely that they are not going to score well enough to do college level work.

Also even community colleges seem to have 'lower' expectations of their enrolling students since they are coming to junior college and not to a 4 year university.

Here in my local area, both post-secondary education institutions have open enrollment. Where the incoming students need to just give them a copy of their high school transcript, high school diploma or GED, and a copy of their most recent ACT/SAT scores. And the students pay the processing fee and the first semesters tuition and they are in.

I do wish though that ALL high schools required exit exams for graduating high school, no pass means you repeat and take remediation as needed. Once you pass the next year you are allowed to graduate high school.

Once that is done, then for enrollment into college you should be required to take a collegiate entrance exam that CANNOT be taken before graduating high school. They test you on the ability to handle collegiate level literacy, mathematics, and science. How well you do overall is going to determine what courses you get to take. This way the scores are more accurate and students needing remediation are given remediation, those not needing remediation are given the go-ahead to pursue their degrees. This isnt discrimination, this is just making sure that all students are adequately prepared to do the work and will graduate with all needed requirements and no more 'half-fitted' graduates or at least fewer of them.

Overall I hope that Gallaudet recieves its much sought out re-accreditation, all students - deaf or hearing deserve the same level of education that will better prepare them for the work force.

The one thing that bothers me though is the discrimination of deaf students coming from mainstream programs.....

U mean from the admissions office or the Gallaudet students themselves with the discrimination issue?

From the admissions office, its almost like they automactically expect less of a student who is deaf/hoh and coming from mainstream without taking into consideration if the student also had support in the form of ASL terps, CART, note takers, or other means.

Although I have never felt this sort of discrimination myself, it still however disturbs me if you know what I mean... (Im not sure if my posts are being clear this afternoon)

:gpost:

I don't think it is so much discrimination of the deaf students coming from the mainstream as it is criticism of the way the mainstream is serving their deaf students. It is certainly not the student's fault if they were not served properly by the instituion entrusted with their education.

From the admissions office, its almost like they automactically expect less of a student who is deaf/hoh and coming from mainstream without taking into consideration if the student also had support in the form of ASL terps, CART, note takers, or other means.

Although I have never felt this sort of discrimination myself, it still however disturbs me if you know what I mean... (Im not sure if my posts are being clear this afternoon)

That could be because in general, deaf students are underserved in the mainstream, and many have lowered standards for grading criteria, etc. written into their IEPs. In other words, an "A" for a deaf student is not always based on the same criterion that a "A" for a hearing student is. Like in English classes.....it is often written into the IEP that a teacher cannot deduct grammar errors, etc. from a deaf students grade points. I guess ignoring it is easier than teaching them properly.:roll:

Its kind of like the educators' version of "Never mind."

I understand now Jill. It is the same for the immigrant students, instead of teaching them they are simply passed because they dont understand the language the material is being taught in (English) rather than in Spanish although they are graduating from an American high school and not a Mexican/South American School system.

(I know the analogy is off but I do understand what you mean)

I understand now Jill. It is the same for the immigrant students, instead of teaching them they are simply passed because they dont understand the language the material is being taught in (English) rather than in Spanish although they are graduating from an American high school and not a Mexican/South American School system.

(I know the analogy is off but I do understand what you mean)

The analogy was great.

Back