What Is Deafhood?

Grummer

Reaction score
Does anyone know what it is?

There are blogs and articles in internet about this, there has been some workshops, but as far as I know i dont think it has been covered in NZ, but i might be worng. Many of the internet's discussions are connected to one particular book;

"Understanding Deaf Culture _ in search of Deafhood" By Paddy Ladd.

So I am asking here

Have anyone read this book ?

It is a fairly dense book, almost 500 pages thick. Alot of good information are in this book, Ladd drawed in alot of aspects and made arguments with the gathered information from research which is well done, and well I kind of thought the book's orderings of topic leads is abit off, it could have been better.

Back to Deafhood...

Does yiou agree with it? or is it an attempt to re-invent the wheel of "Deaf culture"?
or
Are there differences , what are they so?

This book is great but i have some have reservations while I aren't even sure what exactly I am disagreeing with except one thing the which does bugs me, that is the improbability of Deafhood being effective as a political impetus to push for more Deaf Rights to be recognised.

I would be interested to know your responses to my question/comment

Last edited:
Does anyone know what it is?

There are blogs and articles in internet about this, there has been some workshops, but as far as I know i dont think it has been covered in NZ, but i might be worng. Many of the internet's discussions are connected to one particular book;

"Understanding Deaf Culture _ in search of Deafhood" By Paddy Ladd.

So I am asking here

Have anyone read this book ?

It is a fairly dense book, almost 500 pages thick. Alot of good information are in this book, Ladd drawed in alot of aspects and made arguments with the gathered information from research which is well done, and well I kind of thought the book's orderings of topic leads is abit off, it could have been better.

Back to Deafhood...

Does yiou agree with it? or is it an attempt to re-invent the wheel of "Deaf culture"?
or
Are there differences , what are they so?

This book is great but i have some have reservations while I aren't even sure what exactly I am disagreeing with except one thing the which does bugs me, that is the improbability of Deafhood being effective as a political impetus to push for more Deaf Rights to be recognised.

I would be interested to know your responses to my question/comment

I have read it Grummer. I think that Paddy makes some very valid points. Deafhood is about cohesion within the deaf/Deaf community, and if that can be accomplished, it certainly could serve as an impetus for political change. It is a growing movement...I guess time will tell regarding the effectiveness.

yeah its a fairly large book, the indexing/referencing at the back is crap though, havent finished reading it yet

has anyone else?
come on this is crazy if no one else has, or arent anyone else aware of Deafhood?

I like the word " deafhood ".

My definition for " deafhood " : I grew up deaf all my life since 3 months old and that is my deafhood - IMO. Bein' deafness hasn't changed. :)

Back