What IFs?

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
I was having a discussion with a hearing friend of mine about the value of being Deaf and the value of being hearing. One of the question that stems from the conversation which I posed to ask; "What if you were given a pill that magically makes you Deaf? Would you take it?"

A similar question was asked towards me "What if you were given a pill that makes you hearing? Would you take it?"

I started to think it over. It was a question that made me think out of the box. I came to the conclusion of noting that, if there was such a pill that makes me hearing - Chances are, I definitely would have mixed feelings. It's not that I am content of being Deaf, but based on being curious, it makes me want to be hearing to get the first hand experience or rather, to see what it is like on the other "side" if you will. So, would I take the pill? If it was for a temporary basis - I would take it. If it is for a permanent basis, then no I wouldn't because being Deaf is the only thing I've known of.

Sometime, the curiosity kills, doesn't it?

Well, being late-deafened as a pre-teen, I'm sure I would opt for the pill to make me hearing again, as I miss the music very much and the family "chatter"....

If I were born deaf, I believe I would want to remain that way, being it was my way of life since birth.....

Deaf ferrets will be too busy playing with blocks.

Deaf cats will be too busy to play with cat nips.

Deaf dogs will be too busy romping in lake.

As for me, I'm not sure. I want to ask my rottweiler, but he does not know my ASL so he is not going to give me his opinion.

me to i would do anything get my hearing again as i know what i lost...slightly different slant i am told if someone been blind and suddenly gets sight back it very hard for them,we assume life be easier but it hard they have spacial awareness issues and many suffer severer depression....

I wouldn't. I like being able to hear what's going on around me, but I also like having the option to turn off my ears and go deaf when I want to.

No, I would not take any pill to restore hearing at all.

Yes, I want virus that make everybody become deaf without cure. Bwhahaha!

Yes, I want virus that make everybody become deaf without cure. Bwhahaha!

I think hope maybe you're joking, but aw don't say that. I get very nervous like panic attack when I'm in total silence. I can't handle it.:dizzy:

me to i would do anything get my hearing again as i know what i lost...slightly different slant i am told if someone been blind and suddenly gets sight back it very hard for them,we assume life be easier but it hard they have spacial awareness issues and many suffer severer depression....

Yeah, I hear ya. Sometime, it isn't greener on the other side, eh?

To have something and to gain it back is one thing but to never have it then to gain it - it puts a lot of things in different perspective.

I think hope maybe you're joking, but aw don't say that. I get very nervous like panic attack when I'm in total silence. I can't handle it.:dizzy:

I agree Mimsy. Speaking from experience, sometimes this "virus" takes more then just your hearing. Even if it is a joke, be careful what you wish for:hmm:

Back