What happens when YOU are the parent of a CODA?!

Rush1959

Reaction score
I asked this question in a chatroom a few days ago and I got ZERO responses.

Specifically, I wonder...

How does a deaf parent introduce their hearing child to music, the telephone, or other everyday parts of life that a hearing child would normally acquire from hearing parents? As a deaf parent, I am sure my 2-year-old son is not ready for Pink Floyd or Rush or AC/DC and he's certainly not ready to start talking to chicks on the phone, nor is he ready to listen to Howard Stern on the radio.

So what do I do? Do I just leave the radio on various stations for him to listen to? Give him a guitar or a piano? Put Bach or Mozart on the CD player? Give him a cell phone so he can call Papa and Nana (his grandparents) whenever he wants to?

I do realize moderation is the key... but... how do I start?!

Any and all suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

Travis

Originally posted by Rush1959
I asked this question in a chatroom a few days ago and I got ZERO responses.

Specifically, I wonder...

How does a deaf parent introduce their hearing child to music, the telephone, or other everyday parts of life that a hearing child would normally acquire from hearing parents? As a deaf parent, I am sure my 2-year-old son is not ready for Pink Floyd or Rush or AC/DC and he's certainly not ready to start talking to chicks on the phone, nor is he ready to listen to Howard Stern on the radio.

So what do I do? Do I just leave the radio on various stations for him to listen to? Give him a guitar or a piano? Put Bach or Mozart on the CD player? Give him a cell phone so he can call Papa and Nana (his grandparents) whenever he wants to?

I do realize moderation is the key... but... how do I start?!

Any and all suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

Travis

Ignore bbuts.

I suggest you to read a book, "Loss for words," which is based on a narrative of a hearing person who had deaf parents.

Hi Rush,
I am mother of 5 hearing kids...
I started them with music box that you can rewind up.. that you can buy at Toy R us.. or any kinds of toys.. also, tape or cd..
I know how high volume .. dont want loud.. you could ask neighbor or a hearing friend to adjust the volume, then remember what number (average #5-7).. if it doesnt have number.. mark with markers to make little line.. so you can look in the volume switch to make even to the line..
The Tv.. *sigh*.. I know its difficult.. because my old tv do not have volume digital lines.. so i had to ask hearing friend or neighbor to check the volume.. then PUT remote away..
can find Kids Tv shows like seamse street, or any small children tv shows... they are great!!
You can start your child into headstart at early age.. like daycare for couple hours.. to get your child know the voice and hear..

I dont start my kids on the phone till they almost 4 because they understand what phone and who they are talking to..
you can let your child play with insturements (kids-toys) not the expensive ones.. Radio.. Ahh.. my kids love to listen Country music.. not rap (rap is too early can wait till teen).. You can ask next door since you are in local radio station or can ask for kids channel on radio too..
(my kids are all grown and the youngest one is soon 1 year old-- he learned from all his older bro and sisters).. I hope this help you.. also, feel free to ask anything :)

Originally posted by MsGiglz
Hi Rush,
I started them with music box that you can rewind up.. that you can buy at Toy R us.. or any kinds of toys.. also, tape or cd..
I know how high volume .. dont want loud.. you could ask neighbor or a hearing friend to adjust the volume, then remember what number (average #5-7).. if it doesnt have number.. mark with markers to make little line.. so you can look in the volume switch to make even to the line..
The Tv.. *sigh*.. I know its difficult.. because my old tv do not have volume digital lines.. so i had to ask hearing friend or neighbor to check the volume.. then PUT remote away..
can find Kids Tv shows like seamse street, or any small children tv shows... they are great!!
You can start your child into headstart at early age.. like daycare for couple hours.. to get your child know the voice and hear..

I dont start my kids on the phone till they almost 4 because they understand what phone and who they are talking to..
you can let your child play with insturements (kids-toys) not the expensive ones.. Radio.. Ahh.. my kids love to listen Country music.. not rap (rap is too early can wait till teen).. You can ask next door since you are in local radio station or can ask for kids channel on radio too..
(my kids are all grown and the youngest one is soon 1 year old-- he learned from all his older bro and sisters).. I hope this help you.. also, feel free to ask anything :)

Dang, I've learned a lot in the last 30 seconds.

I liked the idea about marking where the volume is reasonable on a radio.

If I end up with a kid..either deaf or hearing..you'll be the first to hear questions from me. :laugh2:

Hi Rush,

Kewl.. Thanks for your advice. I will know what to do with my future kids. :ily:

Originally posted by SilenceGold
Dang, I've learned a lot in the last 30 seconds.

I liked the idea about marking where the volume is reasonable on a radio.

If I end up with a kid..either deaf or hearing..you'll be the first to hear questions from me. :laugh2:

hehe.. anytime ! ;)

OH WOW, momma, I LEARNED alot from u thats SOO intresting and im soo glad u guided us in to that perspective and understanding :) thanks momma :)

Originally posted by javapride
OH WOW, momma, I LEARNED alot from u thats SOO intresting and im soo glad u guided us in to that perspective and understanding :) thanks momma :)

aww thanks.. I thought some of you guys would know.. but gladly to help ! :D

aww thanks.. I thought some of you guys would know.. but gladly to help ! :D

Give me few kids...40 years...then I'll know as much as you might do.

LOL!!!!
I am glady do so but I cherish my 5 kids or other kids... I couldnt give them away.. Sorry I am greedy! :)
but I already offered my sister to be her suggroate mother.. since she had her crevix cancer.. but she was very overwhelmed about that since she and i arent close like sis/sis.. as I tried.. but she said she is not *fitted* mother type.. she is *fitted* as Aunt.. eh

Nothing happen when I become a parent of my kid. You can just raise your kid in right way not wrong way then your kid will turn out really fine. Like I am displicine my daughter and teach her in right way.

LOL!!!!
I am glady do so but I cherish my 5 kids or other kids... I couldnt give them away.. Sorry I am greedy! :)
but I already offered my sister to be her suggroate mother.. since she had her crevix cancer.. but she was very overwhelmed about that since she and i arent close like sis/sis.. as I tried.. but she said she is not *fitted* mother type.. she is *fitted* as Aunt.. eh

No problem if you're greedy...I'll just tell Lisa, "Ok let's have kids...," if I wanted kids.

Might be in an year or so.

Originally posted by eternity
Nothing happen when I become a parent of my kid. You can just raise your kid in right way not wrong way then your kid will turn out really fine. Like I am displicine my daughter and teach her in right way.

Guidance. :D

Very interesting question. Truthfully, I haven't even thought about it. Those things aren't directly involved in my world, and although they certainly matter to my mother, my sisters, and the rest of my family, for some reason it never occurred to me to think about how I would introduce them to MY children. Great post. Thanks.

Uhh... just expose them to sound as you would of any child.

My son's hearing, and I just leave the tv volume on, my husband and I talk using our voices, my son has grandparents and he is often around people who are hearing.... so he's been exposed to quite a lot of things... including music.

I've not had any problems with my son- he's developing at a normal pace and is now making noises with his voice... I'm not worried about it at all.

i just have a baby at the time but i thought i would mention what i have been thinking about for the future. as a person with a severe to profound loss that is progressive, by the time he is six (or much much sooner than that actually) i will probably not be able to hear at all (not like i can hear now). i already cant tell if he is crying if i leave the room and cant hear him make "sounds" althought i can tell he is (mouth moves, vibration in his back on my hand). i wondered how i would teach him to read and enjoy music and things. i can speak well (hearing most of my life) so i can read to him and i can teach him how to talk but i wont be able to hear what he says back. i wont know if a word is pronounced right etc. as for music, i only hear bass if really loud and feel it in my body but i love what i do have (feeling the music). problem is, you cant do that all day the neighbors would hate you. so yeah, have someone else adjust teh volume so you dont upset the neighbors or cause your child hearing lsos from loud noises. as for tv, i dont see that would be hard. we will have one rule in the house concerning the television: nothing is allowed unless it is either closed captioned or in ASL. that way i can also watch and know what he is watching. volume... again ask someone to fix it for you. as for telephone, purchase a uniphone. it is a phone with three abilities: regular phone, amplified phone, and tty. that way he/she can talk to friends through handset and you can type to your friends through tty. as for my concern about how he would learn to read, soeone suggested he spend time with another hearing person to develop his speech and reading abilities. as for me, he can sit on my lap and sign the story :)

MsGiglz said:
Hi Rush,

Wow, I think the exact same way you thought!! I let my boys play with music toys. I love music boxes... in fact I collect them for myself, because I love them! I have a musical carousel box (the merry a round with horses going up and down) in my bedroom and my boys always push the button to listen to the music there. It's wonderful.

About TV. I already knew where to stop the volume at, because my hearing friends came over to watch a movie with us so they adjusted the volume and I left it alone there. Now my oldest boy knows how to adjust volume. He's good at it so I do not have to worry about it too much now.

I have TONS of musical toys for my boys to play with, so I'm done! :lol:

Well my ex husband and i are deaf and had a hearing son, we both used ASL and oral so he was exposed to both, he was exposed to hearing relatives, friends and TV so really it is not a problem for hearing children with deaf parents. I know a guy who is hearing but has totally deaf parents, they dont speak at all, just sign language but he grew up around hearing relatives and other hearing kids in the neighborhood so he had no problems learning to speak..no big deal, really.......

Back