Went to RIT Open House 12/7/12

DeafBadger

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Premium Member
Reaction score
I finally went to an Open House at RIT on December 7th, 2012.

I don't know if any one from AllDeaf was there in the tour group.

I was blown away by the level of services they have. It is the best I've ever seen.

Now I am trying to figure out how to get out there and get a degree.

I'm still very tired from the trip and still digesting the experience. :)

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Thanks! It was a rather overwhelming few days, but well worth it!

I was surprised by how many stores have employees who know sign and are willing to use it.

I don't know ASL well enough yet, but those in my group did.

Also surprising was seeing how many other groups of deaf people were out and about, in restaurants and stores.

My group was in a board game store and an elderly couple saw us signing and asked us, in sign, what game would be best for their grandson. Turns out they were deaf also!

I was told that these chance meetings between deaf people in Rochester are common, because we're everywhere there.

I thought that was so cool. Definitely makes you feel normal! Like anyone else. :)

I was blown away by the level of services they have. It is the best I've ever seen.

Crossing my fingers for you..........I think that RIT is going to be a BIG piece of the puzzle for you!

No-one with motivation like yours should have to struggle as much as you have been. I know that you want nothing but the best. The school you have been attending would never let you accomplish to the best of your ability. Don't let the b******* hold you down.

No-one with motivation like yours should have to struggle as much as you have been. I know that you want nothing but the best. The school you have been attending would never let you accomplish to the best of your ability. Don't let the b******* hold you down.

I was amazed by how from the minute I was there, the accommodation was present without prompting. The tour included presentations by several staff and the captioning was on the screen. There were interpreters right there.

Even the main Open House event for all students, hearing and deaf, had captioning and interpreters.

This is a place where I won't have to fight to get the slightest bit of half-*ssed services. It's a place where full services are provided and they will bend over backwards to make sure it fits your needs.

One word: WOW!

First school or institution I've ever been that does that. Ever.

Glad your enjoying experience in Rochester area. Yeah, Deafies are everywhere (Technically). Yeah, RIT is cool institute. Many cops in that area knows sign but be aware, don't use Deafness as excuse, they WILL give you ticket.

I finally went to an Open House at RIT on December 7th, 2012.

I don't know if any one from AllDeaf was there in the tour group.

I'm still very tired from the trip and still digesting the experience. :)

yeah - RIT/ntid have changed big time over the years. I would say in the last 10 years they really ballooned up in services and accommodations. Dorms really have changed as well the eating places. They didnt have any of that stuff when I went. Funny thing is, I heard and seen some of the things that used to be there before the malls popped up in the area too. There was a airport bar where marketplace mall used to be for rit students. open fields where all the other malls were. yadda yadda .. I could go on ..

anyways -- I think your first step is to contact your local vesid for support and go from there.

I don't go to RIT but have lived in Rochester all my life. There are a lot of things available to us Deaf and HOH people here. If you need help finding things to do contact me and I'd be more than willing to show you around!

This is a place where I won't have to fight to get the slightest bit of half-*ssed services. It's a place where full services are provided and they will bend over backwards to make sure it fits your needs.
Any parents of mainstreamed/inclusive kids who are lurking........read this. THIS is why deaf schools/programs can kick an inclusive placement's butt.

Hi, don't know much ASL, but am profoundly deaf as well a proud RIT class of 2012. I am a study abroad mentor, on campus doing what I need to complete what is required in hopes to get in MSSE program. if you decide you would also like to study abroad don't be discourage. If you need a interpreter/captionist RIT sends them with you. The thing is to apply have all paperwork ready and set in advance as well give a good 6 months notice. I have been blessed to have study in Greece, Turkey, and Italy. I wish more deaf students knew the possibility in study abroad, but many I have come across did not realize services would be provided. i hope you get in RIT and have the most amazing time. Until then come again and experience Imagine at RIT 2013.

Hi, don't know much ASL, but am profoundly deaf as well a proud RIT class of 2012. I am a study abroad mentor, on campus doing what I need to complete what is required in hopes to get in MSSE program. if you decide you would also like to study abroad don't be discourage. If you need a interpreter/captionist RIT sends them with you. The thing is to apply have all paperwork ready and set in advance as well give a good 6 months notice. I have been blessed to have study in Greece, Turkey, and Italy. I wish more deaf students knew the possibility in study abroad, but many I have come across did not realize services would be provided. i hope you get in RIT and have the most amazing time. Until then come again and experience Imagine at RIT 2013.

I keep bouncing back between going and not going. It's a big move, and it would be a very different experience for me. I just need to keep moving along with the process and see if it works out.

I was amazed by how from the minute I was there, the accommodation was present without prompting. The tour included presentations by several staff and the captioning was on the screen. There were interpreters right there.

Even the main Open House event for all students, hearing and deaf, had captioning and interpreters.

One word: WOW!

First school or institution I've ever been that does that. Ever.

beware - you may not always have a terp available for any class you pick. several deafies have complained about the availability of terps. I spent nearly a month there. I was stuck cuz of Hurricane Sandy and gas shortage.

there are always at least 2 terps per class. this one class I attended as a guest... it was kinda terrible because they used a "student" terp who was not very fluent.

other than that... I think you will have a good time. lot of deafies. lot of familiarities. they're changing to semester system starting in fall. and as long as you have a car, you'll be fine. :)

and don't goof around! RIT ain't easy anymore. its engineering and science programs are uber hard.

I keep bouncing back between going and not going. It's a big move, and it would be a very different experience for me. I just need to keep moving along with the process and see if it works out.

GO! You would have an AMAZING time and you could also develop networking abilty with dhh friendly employers.

Back