Wearing beanies

ExR

Reaction score
I like to wear a beanie because they hide my HA. They also prevent it from getting wet. However, I always feel obliged to take it off when I enter a building, especially when I'm in a place where I'm likely to sit. I remember back in my college days, I attended a principal's welcome and we were all asked to remove our hats...

Would you personally wear a beanie indoors? Also, do you think beanies diminish the decency of an individual? For instance, you would probably wouldn't expect to see a police officer, or a doctor or a lawyer wearing a beanie. I don't pretend to look like any of these, but I do prefer to portray the image of a mature and respectable individual.

In principle, a beanie seems like a great concept for me but subjective thoughts prevent me from wearing them.

What are your thoughts?

Some examples: (It's not everyday I search for pictures of men!)

zac-efron-beanie-boy.jpg
beanie.jpg
John-James-Big-Brother-Beanie.jpg_e_23abe66501078f41ad6851658d1e8d06.jpg

ExR

I don't mind wearing it while I am the indoor but i knew they would stare at me like i look like an alient to them. I love the hat! I would love to have it if it were in dark grey. :D

It depends on how you look if the hat is very neatly then it would be ok. We all have to break the old tradition and into the modern tradition, don't we? :D Good luck!

I only wear one when it's a matter of keeping my head from freezing off. Otherwise they're too trendy.

I like to wear a beanie because they hide my HA. They also prevent it from getting wet. However, I always feel obliged to take it off when I enter a building, especially when I'm in a place where I'm likely to sit. I remember back in my college days, I attended a principal's welcome and we were all asked to remove our hats...

Would you personally wear a beanie indoors? Also, do you think beanies diminish the decency of an individual? For instance, you would probably wouldn't expect to see a police officer, or a doctor or a lawyer wearing a beanie. I don't pretend to look like any of these, but I do prefer to portray the image of a mature and respectable individual.

In principle, a beanie seems like a great concept for me but subjective thoughts prevent me from wearing them.

What are your thoughts?

Some examples: (It's not everyday I search for pictures of men!)

zac-efron-beanie-boy.jpg
beanie.jpg
John-James-Big-Brother-Beanie.jpg_e_23abe66501078f41ad6851658d1e8d06.jpg

ExR

My thoughts, why is it allowable for men to wear ballcaps but not beanies indoors? Some men won't even take it off at all (they are bald, btw so that's why).

If you are concern, you can grow your hair alittle longer and buy eargears for sweat issues.

As long as youre comfortable wearing a beanie and doesnt make you look ridiculous, I personally think its perfectly fine.

I need a better one, mine shrunk in the washing machine. *grumbles*

i wear this when it's cold as hell outside -

under_armour_arctic_beanie_ii_ua_coldgea_1536_0.jpg

Why hide?
Are you uncomfortable seen as deaf?

Yes and no. I have no problem telling people that I'm HoH when it's necessary. (As it helps myself in the long run) but I definitely don't like to draw attention to it.

For example, a few years ago I went to KFC to order a meal, the worker saw that I wore a HA and before I even said anything, she shouted
HELLO!!!!!! WHAT-WOULD-YOU-LIKE-TO-ORDER??!!! very slowly with overly exaggerated lip motion to match. At that point, it seemed like everyone was staring at me and I felt like a complete misfit.

So yeah, I don't like to draw attention to myself unnecessarily.

Yes and no. I have no problem telling people that I'm HoH when it's necessary. (As it helps myself in the long run) but I definitely don't like to draw attention to it.

A few years ago I went to KFC to order a meal, the worker saw that I wore a HA and before I even said anything, she shouted
HELLO!!!!!! WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO ORDER??!!! with overly exaggerated lip motion to match. It seemed like everyone was staring at me and I felt like a complete misfit.

So yeah, I don't like to draw attention to myself unnecessarily.

understandable but tell her that it wasn't necessary. that way - next time it won't be awkward.

understandable but tell her that it wasn't necessary. that way - next time it won't be awkward.

Yeah but for some people, it is necessary. (although perhaps not quite to that extent) Sometimes it is better for hearies to make more effort than it is for them to make no effort. It's just not really necessary for me. My way of avoiding situations like that is by not drawing unnecessary attention to my problem.

It's courteous to remove one's hat indoors, especially if you're staying a while (not just passing thru a public building). Definitely remove hats when sitting at a table.

A beanie hat used to be much smaller (like a yarmulke or skullcap), and sometimes had a propeller on top. The ones without propellers were popular with college fraternities for the pledges to wear. The new ones look more like watch caps or ski hats, to me.

:lol: Original beanies:

Propeller Beanie Hat Red / Orange NEW Crazy Spinner

Tweedledum & Tweedledee pictures - Lenny's Alice in Wonderland site

Beany and Cecil Cartoon

Im like ExR... I dont let people know Im deaf unless its necessary... No point in drawing attention to myself, when I don't really want attention or "special treatment".

It's courteous to remove one's hat indoors, especially if you're staying a while (not just passing thru a public building). Definitely remove hats when sitting at a table.

See, this is what annoys me. I know it's courteous as you say. It's considered the polite thing to do. But why is it considered to be courteous? Why is it considered rude not to remove your hat? I am certain that nobody will be able to provide an answer that justifies the convention. As a result of this, decent people feel obliged to remove their hat for no logical reason what so ever. Kinda stupid really, isn't it?

See, this is what annoys me. I know it's courteous as you say. It's considered the polite thing to do. But why is it considered to be courteous? Why is it considered rude not to remove your hat? I am certain that nobody will be able to provide an answer that justifies the convention. As a result of this, decent people feel obliged to remove their hat for no logical reason. Kinda stupid really, isn't it?
Stupid? No. What logical reason is there for wearing an outer garment (hat, coat, mittens) indoors or at a table unless there's no heat in the building? The tradition started because the clothing that was worn in the outdoor environment would be dirty; who wants to have all that outdoor pollen and dirt at the dinner table?

Also, removing your hat indoors indicates that you plan to stay a while. If you keep your hat on, it looks like you're ready for a quick getaway. :lol:

Whenever I read something about beanies, the first thing that comes up in my head is this...

propellerbeaniehat.jpg

Cause it's a manner of society, you are dealing with etiquette. For example, I know from personal experience that asians (of all types) do not and cannot wear hats during a mealtime at a table because it is flat off considered disrespect. If all the members knew you had a condition then they would probably let you go, or else you'll be remembered for what you did.

The association of removing a hat is seen in situations outside the home or dinner table too. Military servicemen remove hats during speeches, or during the national anthem for others. In the old ages, I'm sure knights removed their circlets and armored helmets to speak to non-hostile individuals. It is a general custom to see the face when communicating to another. I figure it is no different than taking off your sunglasses when signing or speaking to others outside of casual conditions.

Back