unfreaking believable...

Steel X

Reaction score
I never expected something like this to happen to me...now it did. I am a proud PS3 owner and something just happened after I just got the latest patch to MW2.

I turned on my PS3, play MW2, and then a notice came up saying the latest patch is up for download so I thought it was odd for another patch cause we just got the other patch only a week ago and now this? so I went ahead to download it and after that, went to the MW2 menu and select multiplayer and as I did that...the screen went black and I have to reboot it so when I did and went to the XMB, something was missing...the disc icon don't show so I took the disc out and try it again and it still dont show. I reboot it and try again and it still dont show. I tried the other PS3 game, the PS2 game, the DVD movie, the Blu-ray movie...and none of it worked. I tried the restore default settings as well and it still dont show...sigh so I guess it appears that I have a failed blu-ray drive and have to contact sony abt this soon. VERY bad timing before the holidays season...and I can't afford to pay $150 for this soon. I guess I would have to go afew months without playing MW2 and other PS3 games...I assumed the patch had something to do with it, but Sony or Infinity ward won't admit it...so fuck them.

Hold that thought, sonny boy....

...my brother has just advised me, that the MW2 games are off the shelves down here... and I don't seem to find the appropriate source..

Hold that thought, sonny boy....

...my brother has just advised me, that the MW2 games are off the shelves down here... and I don't seem to find the appropriate source..

It's not the game...it's the firmware caused the PS3 to do a self destruct which his blu ray drive doesn't work at all...won't read anything he puts in it.

It's not the game...it's the firmware caused the PS3 to do a self destruct which his blu ray drive doesn't work at all...won't read anything he puts in it.
Just a thought there, G-tree.

I had a DVD not reading issue on my PS3, which I have it resolved. :) Did you check your video and display settings? (which upscaling must be disabled)

I had a DVD not reading issue on my PS3, which I have it resolved. :) Did you check your video and display settings? (which upscaling must be disabled)

Ah...maybe he might have to check that out.... I don't have a PS3, lol

Here's what I read about. It's not new. Update 2.40 and Update 3.00 had similiar problem and They're suing Sony Entertainment for this. Hopefully, Sony will have it repaired free of charge cuz it's their fault.

Sony sued over PS3 update that supposedly bricks consoles - Ars Technica

Catty

Well I hope we win this case cause I take good care of my console and I had no problem with it since 2007 and all of a sudden after the patch for MW2, my blu-ray drive just went bricked and that pissed me off since I didn't do anything wrong. I just simply downloaded the patch and they would say "tough! pay up 150 bucks or dont play at all then."

They should've tested on PLENTY of their own PS3s before releasing the update...pretty damn rip off.

Your PS3 can still read PS3 and blu-ray discs, but mine cant read ANY discs so...big difference there cause yours with the disc drive still functions as mine don't seem to function at all.

So, I've checked my video and display settings...it all seems normal.

Well I hope we win this case cause I take good care of my console and I had no problem with it since 2007 and all of a sudden after the patch for MW2, my blu-ray drive just went bricked and that pissed me off since I didn't do anything wrong. I just simply downloaded the patch and they would say "tough! pay up 150 bucks or dont play at all then."

They should've tested on PLENTY of their own PS3s before releasing the update...pretty damn rip off.

Wish they had a dual Firmware just like Giga-byte's famous Dual BIOS. If one Bios get screwed by virus or flashed with wrong BIOS firmware, 2nd BIOS have original backup and just go into BIOS program and have 2nd BIOS "flash" to 1st BIOS to restore it. I wish PS3 have it so it'll save your day big and don't have to worry about paying $150 to have it fixed!!!

I used to have Giga-Byte mobo like that and it works like a wonder. I got hit by virus that reflash BIOS to destroy mobo. I rebooted the system and it was blank for 20 seconds then 2nd BIOS kick on and booted up XP and I was back online less than a min and had AntiVirus software to clean out virus. It's a true lifesaver!!

Catty

My Mates have same problem as your , One mate sent ps3 to Sony. Sony will repair your ps3 . I think you must wait two weeks Sony will tae back to you. Different way you went to shop and replace ps3 with paid cheap.

Mod note:

Posts are removed, let's play nice here, okay?

Thanks.

Did you try contacting the PS3 support?

Yes I did. They were not much help...I called them via IP relay and they said I require the provided phone number or the request service number before I can ACTUALLY call them and I don't know where to find such a thing about the request service number. So I've sent them an email instead and should get their response in the next 48 hours...I've spent 2 hrs trying to find answers and contacting sony and it still frustrate me.

Yes I did. They were not much help...I called them via IP relay and they said I require the provided phone number or the request service number before I can ACTUALLY call them and I don't know where to find such a thing about the request service number. So I've sent them an email instead and should get their response in the next 48 hours...I've spent 2 hrs trying to find answers and contacting sony and it still frustrate me.
WTF!?

I called mine without the phone number and went through with the tech representative with out these requirements with out a problem.... maybe it is their system in U.S, useless!

WTF!?

I called mine without the phone number and went through with the tech representative with out these requirements with out a problem.... maybe it is their system in U.S, useless!

Probably easier for you because your in Australia and I'm in the US so...yeah. -.-

Steel X - did you use this number: 800-345-7669 ?

Yes I have.

I've tried out this one option that many PS3 owners don't know...the hidden recovery menu.

It's after u hold the power button when you hear the 3 beeps as it takes u to the recovery menu and I've tried resetting the data base and such but no luck.

I've tried all the discs and I could see the loading screen still showing on the top right corner of the screen saying its still loading...loading...and loading so it tells me that the disc drive is still working but something inside the disc drive isn't. It must be the laser that isn't working.

So...It would be pretty stupid to blow off 150 bucks to Sony just for a laser replacement...I've tried asking other people who built and mod computers said its definetly complicated and better to leave it to the pros since the blu-ray disc drive is much more complicated than the regular dvd disc drive. So I guess that leaves me no choice...I'll have to take it up to the pros without taking the risk. *sigh*

Back