Understanding English

nazziegirl

Reaction score
Sometimes I don't spoken understand English if people talk fast. I feel really anxious about it. I just don't know what to say. Should I just ask them to repeat themselves, or should I tell them I have trouble hearing them?

Last edited:
Sometimes I don't spoken understand English if people talk fast. I feel really anxious about it. I just don't know what to say. Should I just ask them to repeat themselves, or should I tell them I have trouble hearing them?
Nazziegirl,
Your situation is common and not everyone is fluent in English.Even so,if you have issues understanding speeches and deaf to your speakers,asking them for repetition in an even slower and loud tone is NECESSARY for your understanding.However,you have got to initially let your situation known to them so could figure out which mode to better communicate with you.

I hope this help.

Last edited:
I have troublewhenpeopletalkwaytoodamnfastfastfastfast.
lol.

What? Repeat that?

I have trouble when. People. Talk. .... way... tooo... (profanity) fast repeated. spoken slowly as if i am somehow challenged.

Sometimes hearing bark at me turn your hearing aids up. I bark back at em ya right. If you did not lisp so much you would be understood the first time. I hate doing things twice. That winds them up a little bit and they get louder.

I like to "cup" my hand to my ear and that sometimes gets people to repeat what they say. Or I say "sorry, I'm deaf" point to my ear and that'll let them know they need to be more clear.
Other times I cannot hear them at all so I will ask them to write it down on paper. (Especially if they have a very strong accent ).

I'm hard of hearing, can you say that again? Or I don't hear well, please speak slower. Thank you.

Practice helps a lot. No one person will be perfect but the more you do the more confidence you'll get.

If you have smartphone try out these apps:
Also I love to use Big Notes apps on my phone especially at the deli or when ordering something so they don't mess up.

Google Live Transcribe app has been helpful. It's like real time captioning. Again it's not perfect but it can give you clues to what they are saying.

Google Live Transcribe app has been helpful. It's like real time captioning. Again it's not perfect but it can give you clues to what they are saying.
I have used Google Live Transcribe that was mentioned by deerheart 12 as quoted above almost since it came out (I may have missed the very, very first offering of it.). Yes it does make some errors but by far most of the time you can get the correct meaning from context. An some of the errors even provide a good laugh.

Back