To pay or not to pay

violet

Reaction score
I dunno if this is the right area to post this on...
but here i go Mods can move it if im in the wrong place :)
okie so....
recently i met a deaf man who was really panicky because he had a problem with his door and long story... but since he was deaf no one really understood him
and i happen to be close by and w and he comes up to me and my parents and a few other people with us and he signs phone so i was like mm okay ( DEAF ALERT In my head) and i sign what do you need it for.. and he was like Soo excited that i finally understood
so i helped him out with everything he needed which was like an hour
in the end...he was like you interpreted for me..how much do i have to pay you?
and i declined and said nothing i just wanted to help..i have yet to acquire a diploma..and he was like persistent on paying me and i kept saying no....
So my question is....should i have said okay pay me if so how much?
because like i said am a little far from getting my certification...
i just happen to sign well :P
so if you guys could answer that it would b nice!:ty:

First, thanks for helping him out. Since he offered it to you you could have taken the payment so he didn't feel like it was charity. As for how much, maybe 20 dollars because your starting out. Also, you can use him as a reference now and maybe interpret for him in the future.

my boyfriend said the same... mm charity though...is it just bad to want to help!?
mmm okie well now i know thank you :)

I would have just offered it as free help to begin with, but if he needed further assistance, then he'll need to step in my office... :D

my boyfriend said the same... mm charity though...is it just bad to want to help!?
mmm okie well now i know thank you :)

I don't believe in monetary favor when it comes to friends, family members, or people like neighbors. That's why it's called "favor" One day, if you ever need a favor from him, he can't refuse it :o

If you ever need a babysitter for your future child... dog... whatever... you just ask him and I'm sure he will do it without question. Hey - that's what neighbor is for!

I don't believe in monetary favor when it comes to friends, family members, or people like neighbors. That's why it's called "favor" One day, if you ever need a favor from him, he can't refuse it :o

If you ever need a babysitter for your future child... dog... whatever... you just ask him and I'm sure he will do it without question. Hey - that's what neighbor is for!

:slap:I should have thought of that, speaking of which, my bandmates owe mw a couple, ringing 'em up right now!

I think it's great that you wanted to help the guy out but however, just make sure it doesn't become an habit for the guy to come to you whenever he needs the help for free. Perhaps, this is just the beginning of the interpreting experience that you can get your hands on. A charity is a start as well.

:SLAP: I should have thought of that, speaking of which, my bandmates owe mw a couple, ringing 'em up right now!

exactly. In my opinion, monetary value from friend/family/etc as a payback is a cheap cop-out. Just pay and then business's done. UH UH UH UH :nono: We're doing it mafia way! Also - it's usually a good reliable test of friendship. If he/she refuses to return the favor, then I guess we both know that he/she is not a good friend to count on.

I think it's great that you wanted to help the guy out but however, just make sure it doesn't become an habit for the guy to come to you whenever he needs the help for free. Perhaps, this is just the beginning of the interpreting experience that you can get your hands on. A charity is a start as well.

true! If it comes to that.... here's a difficult part - telling him that enough is enough.

Nothing wrong with doing someone a good turn out of generosity. I would not have accepted payment for a situation like this. You were not acting in a professional capacity.

Nothing wrong with doing someone a good turn out of generosity. I would not have accepted payment for a situation like this. You were not acting in a professional capacity.

True!

Just think of it as......"paying it forward".

You volunteered. You didn't ask for any money up front.

However, be sure you know where to draw the line with volunteering. Some people will start relying on you too often without help.

I've had to deal with the same thing several times in the past. Any time I'm with a group of friends, they will all immediately start asking me to give their orders for them. Most of the time, I will refuse because I know they can do it themselves... but they rely on me because I'm hard of hearing. :roll:

You volunteered. You didn't ask for any money up front.

However, be sure you know where to draw the line with volunteering. Some people will start relying on you too often without help.

I've had to deal with the same thing several times in the past. Any time I'm with a group of friends, they will all immediately start asking me to give their orders for them. Most of the time, I will refuse because I know they can do it themselves... but they rely on me because I'm hard of hearing. :roll:

Ohh....those are the worst!

thats what i say!:P

Well he was just walking on the street as was i...i didnt leave him my card or anything
lets see all i did was call up his boss told him he wasnt gonna work today...drove him to the a key shop to repair his key lock thing and then got him situated with them taking him back to his apt and such...
i did it really just because i wanted to help it was my first time and im a person who likes to help...ppl really can take advantage of me because of this
im not one to really say no a lot...ive had a lot of fake friends bc of this also

but you guys are right the next time if ever it happens i see him and he intentionally says he needs my interpreting hands :P
i will say...hold on...may i see the money!hahahaha
Thank you guys!

Ohh....those are the worst!
One time, I went to Denny's with a couple friends and this deaf girl we met. She was hard of hearing, but she didn't know that I was hard of hearing. Everyone else knew. She offered to speak for my friends, then when it was my turn... I started talking. When I finished giving my order, she just sat there with her mouth open in shock... "You can speak!? Whoa!"

Back