Those of you who have SSI/SSDI

ladysolitary85

Reaction score
I have a bit of a random question.... If you were given a letter from Social Security saying you met the medical requirement for disability benefits but a decision has not yet been made on the nonmedical requirements and a second letter will be sent soon with the decision... what does that mean exactly? On the medical evaluation the claim was approved.

you just sit tight and wait. they will decide whether or not if you really need it.

This is as farthest I have gone with them. First time I was denied, but this time I had evidence and they said the earliest they found me disabled was June 2012 and my claim was approved as of June 2012 and continues to date.

I know I can only wait from this point but is it normal to have a medical approval and wait on a nonmedical?

Are you talking about SSI or SSDI? Which one? I asked because SSDI requires 5 months waiting period and SSI has no waiting period.

I applied for both since the SS rep I talked to said I qualified for either or so I applied for both and hoped I'd get one or the other.

this is what the letter said. it just said Social Security Notice - Social Security Office so I'm not sure if its for SSI or SSDI:

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Attachments

• SSI 1 notice.jpg
    SSI 1 notice.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 22
non medical ... you have to have paid a minimum amount of social security taxes in over a certain amount of time probably according to your age they may be calculating that ???

this is what the letter said. it just said Social Security Notice - Social Security Office so I'm not sure if its for SSI or SSDI:

When did you get that letter?

This publication was printed in June 2012. Please read page 8-10 regarding who decides if I am disabled? I guess that's what non-medical conditions mean.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10029.pdf

It appears to me that you may have some more tests for them to make decisions. Have you seen doctors when they asked you to show up?

Frisky Feline said:
It appears to me that you may have some more tests for them to make decisions. Have you seen doctors when they asked you to show up?

No that's not the case either because the lately told me they were able to make a decision based on my medical evidence which i had enough of. this would have nothing to do with my medical I think its more related to my finances/work credit history.

and Paul yes I did recieve that packet on my in person interview.

ladysolitary85 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ladysolitary85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frisky Feline

No that's not the case either because the lady told me they were able to make a decision based on my medical evidence which I had enough of. On their explanation notes they said they found me disabled as of Jun 2012 so I think this would have nothing to do with my medical I think its more related to my finances/work credit history.

Forgive the grammar/editing issues I was posting from my phone and got frustrated lol

They ususally look at the finance first if you are eligible then the second step is to check your disability and it takes 60 days to make decision but they usually make decision after 60 days unless you call SSA to follow up on it.

ladysolitary85 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ladysolitary85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frisky Feline

No that's not the case either because the lady told me they were able to make a decision based on my medical evidence which I had enough of. On their explanation notes they said they found me disabled as of Jun 2012 so I think this would have nothing to do with my medical I think its more related to my finances/work credit history.

Forgive the grammar/editing issues I was posting from my phone and got frustrated lol

Yes Paul I got that packet when I went in for a interview :)
I have to ask you again, when did you get the letter that you showed in the attachment?

If you got this first notice a long time ago (like in June 2012) and you are still waiting for a second notice (which is over 17 months now), I suggest that you go to SSA in person to find out what took them so long.

BTW, have you worked long enough to be eligible for SSDI?

They ususally look at the finance first if you are eligible then the second step is to check your disability and it takes 60 days to make decision but they usually make decision after 60 days unless you call SSA to follow up on it.
That's right. SSI is for disabled or 65+ people who have no or low income. They don't check finances of people who apply for SSDI which is a disability insurance.

Many deaf people who receive SSDI wrote down another medical condition such as permanent back pain, knee pain, etc as their second disability which is the reason why they stopped working.

If a deaf person who worked for at least 10 years and got laid off or fired and can't find another job due to deafness, then s/he is eligible for SSDI and deafness will be the disabilty which is on the official list of impairment.

That's what I have learned so far.

I have to ask you again, when did you get the letter that you showed in the attachment?

If you got this first notice a long time ago (like in June 2012) and you are still waiting for a second notice (which is over 17 months now), I suggest that you go to SSA in person to find out what took them so long.

BTW, have you worked long enough to be eligible for SSDI?

Sorry for the confusion, the first notice I just received yesterday. Notice said I can't contact them until I receive the 2nd notice .

I worked since I was 16 (28 now) but on and off mostly no longer than 2 or 3 years at a time.

Sorry for the confusion, the first notice I just received yesterday. Notice said I can't contact them until I receive the 2nd notice .

I worked since I was 16 (28 now) but on and off mostly no longer than 2 or 3 years at a time.
I assume that you had several jobs. Please remember that any of your old jobs in which you didn't pay SS taxes (that's called under table) doesn't count.

If SSA says that you have enough credits to be eligible for SSDI, that is good and you may be eligible for SSI if SSDI is too low (I posted the link regarding this somewhere). If not enough credits for SSDI, SSI will be your only income unless you work with small pay.

I mostly worked a lot of fast food jobs, but yes I've got several of job listings lol.

Well that means I have a small victory so far then right?

I mostly worked a lot of fast food jobs, but yes I've got several of job listings lol.

Well that means I have a small victory so far then right?
That depends.

For example, you left your last job because you had to move to another city or state. And you were looking for a new job in a new place but they don't hire you because you are deaf. Then you have rights to get SSDI as long as you have enough credits for it.

Second example, if you quit your last job because you didn't like it, even though you were able to do your job, SSA has to make a decision whether you are disabled or not. It's not a win-win situation.

Last example, if you left your last job due to your health/mental issue, SSA should consider you as disabled if the issue you have is permanent.

Back