Thinking in numbers...

lencho

Reaction score
Hey, folks--

Had a discussion today in class about numbers. In English, if someone sees a number like 2410, she might say:

twenty-four ten
or
two thousand four hundred ten.

Is there that kind of variation for a native signer, or is there some fixed natural order of signing large numbers? :hmm:

Thanks--

In my experience, how a number is expressed is based on context, similar to english. For example, if speaking of a distance or amount, it is usually signed "two thousand four hundred ten". If speaking of a telephone number, it is often expressed as "twenty-four ten" or "two four one zero".

I agree with Journey - it depends on context.

Numbers can be tricky, heck it's the thing I'm actually weakest at in ASL (and I'm Hoh/Deaf and DO use ASL quite a bit) because I simply don't use numbers all that much in everyday conversations.

House/ address numbers, and telephone/text numbers, money etc are fairly common, however because I was sans interpreters while in k-12 school, I didn't learn ASL math and how to "correctly" do some number skills in ASL at all (and at 30+, I'm not heading back to grade 12 to learn ASL Maths lol)

Hey, folks--

Had a discussion today in class about numbers. In English, if someone sees a number like 2410, she might say:

twenty-four ten
or
two thousand four hundred ten.

Is there that kind of variation for a native signer, or is there some fixed natural order of signing large numbers? :hmm:

Thanks--

doesn't matter. it's up to you in however you want.

for me - I sign it as "2-thousand. 4-hundred. 10." Some may sign it as "24-10" but I can see it may confuse some people.

In my experience, how a number is expressed is based on context, similar to english. For example, if speaking of a distance or amount, it is usually signed "two thousand four hundred ten". If speaking of a telephone number, it is often expressed as "twenty-four ten" or "two four one zero".
Cool, thanks for the feedback.

It's pretty common in English to express a simple number in various ways even if it's not in one of those "special" contexts you mention, but not so much in Spanish, so I know it depends on the language. My ASL instructor, though a competent interpreter, is not a native signer, so sometimes can't answer esoteric questions I throw at her... guess I'm a "problem" student. :giggle: :roll:

Thanks again-- :ty:

I agree with Journey - it depends on context.

Numbers can be tricky, heck it's the thing I'm actually weakest at in ASL (and I'm Hoh/Deaf and DO use ASL quite a bit) because I simply don't use numbers all that much in everyday conversations.
Hey, I've concluded through personal experience that numbers and math are really a separate language, perhaps using a different part of the brain, and develop separately from the other languages we use...:eek3:

doesn't matter. it's up to you in however you want.

for me - I sign it as "2-thousand. 4-hundred. 10." Some may sign it as "24-10" but I can see it may confuse some people.
Hmmm, I see that a couple of other replies I already made must be somewhere in moderator limbo-- just for the record, THANKS to the several of you who have replied.

This moderator thing... is there a probation period for newbies after which replies get posted directly, or is there always a lag before they become visible?

Thanks--

Hmmm, I see that a couple of other replies I already made must be somewhere in moderator limbo-- just for the record, THANKS to the several of you who have replied.

This moderator thing... is there a probation period for newbies after which replies get posted directly, or is there always a lag before they become visible?

Thanks--

it's a newbie thing for the first little bit - dont' take it personally, it's because we get a LOT of spammers here (just like every message board)

it's a newbie thing for the first little bit - dont' take it personally, it's because we get a LOT of spammers here (just like every message board)
Personally, not taken. I appreciate the system, this forum is refreshingly clean, so it must work. :ty:

Back