They were wrong...my son is hearing.

3littlemen

Reaction score
I just wanted to thank everyone who has given me support here and in the Parenting forum.

If you read my thread there, you will see that my son was diagnosed with permanent sensorineural hearing loss when he was 3 months and 4 1/2 months (we had 2 ABRs with 2 audiologists). Suddenly he started passing OAEs within the past month and doing very well in the sound booth in both SF and with the inserts...testing at 10dB on one ear and 15dB on the other to speech and narrowband noise.

I had to get a third audiologist (in the same practice) to get this answer. Grayson has had very inconsistent testing, but most of the testing occurred prior to 6 months of age. He is now 10 months.

The only explanation they had as to why he is testing at 10-15 in the booth with inserts and has present OAEs (prior to this month, he has not had an OAE since about 4 months of age) is that there was fluid undetectable at the limits of the equipment. It made sense because his tympanograms were a little off the past 2 visits this month, and they were supposedly up and down over the past 8 months, but I was NEVER told that, and they never even suggested it was fluid...they actually told me it was not.

So, yesterday he had tubes put in under anesthesia, and he did indeed have fluid in his left ear, which has been his worst ear on testing in the past. They then did an ABR. The ENT told me that bleeding and swelling from getting the tubes would negatively affect the test slightly, but he received 20dB for everything on the right ear, and since they are supposed to be within 5-10dB of behavioral, that correlates with the 10dB he got in the sound booth. For the left, it was almost normal except for 30dB in one place, but the audiologists (there were 2 assessing him) both feel that it was probably from the fact that he has had fluid in there and from the bleeding and swelling from the tubes. If he goes back and tests well in the booth as he has twice already this month, they are going to confirm normal hearing and he won't have to wear that one either.

I really cannot believe we have been on this roller coaster when it was just fluid. I LOVED my little boy unconditionally, and I truly didn't love him less or treat him differently because of his diagnosis, but no parent, hearing or HOH or deaf should have to go through a misdiagnosis like this. There were SO many red flags with his inconsistent ABRs (they were VERY different) and inconsistent OAEs (he could pass on the right sometimes). I'm wondering what damage these hearing aids set for a moderate loss have done... :(

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone for the positive support...you all are an amazing group of people. And if any hearing parents are out there who have had inconsistencies with tests, please get 2nd and even 3rd opinions as I did...if they were wrong with my son, they can be wrong with your child.

What if you never got a 3rd opinion and had your son implanted with a CI only to find out that he is hearing? Just a scary thought.

Happy that you got your answer. Good luck with everything.

I know...I am SO happy that I was right and that my mommy instincts were right, but I am pretty angry with the 2nd audiologist. I am a little angry with the 1st audiologist, but she never technically said that it was permanent, just that he needed hearing aids and was probably sensorineural, but she never said definitely. The 2nd audi always acted like I was crazy and I could tell that she thought I was in denial and out of my mind. I wonder how hearing aids affect someone with fluid in their ears like that...does it just cause more distortion, or is it good that he wore them since there was fluid in there? Either way, they should have seen the red flags. Why was my 3rd audiologist able to figure out there was probably undetectable fluid in there, but the others weren't? ESPECIALLY since the ABR showed reverse-slope low-frequency hearing loss, which is also indicative of possible fluid...since it is rare.

I am glad you finally found the answer to the problem before it gets worse or damaged. I am happy your son turns out fine. ;)

What if you never got a 3rd opinion and had your son implanted with a CI only to find out that he is hearing? Just a scary thought.

Yes. That's what I told a member AD here about what if baby could have been hearing but got CI right away. See it actually happens like this.

Glad that you got result with your baby's hearing.

You should always trust your mommy instincts !! I am glad your baby is getting the help he need .

Wow. I am glad you don't believe first and second audiologists. I am glad that you got the 3rd opinion. I am very relieved and happy you did the right thing by following your instincts.

I agree with Shel90. What if he gets CI while he is hearing? That's so scary!

Yes. That's what I told a member AD here about what if baby could have been hearing but got CI right away. See it actually happens like this.

Glad that you got result with your baby's hearing.

Yeah... I'd witnessed it too... :( But I'm glad she found an answer for her child!

Fortunately, they dont implant if there's a chance of fluid even if not detected in early tests. Even though there was no detectable fluid in my daughter's ears, they did a tympanostomy on each ear before scheduling surgery. No fluid found, but they wanted to be absolutely certain there was no conductive cause before proceeding. They may say you are eligible pretty early in the process, but there are a large # of tests that CI candidates go through in the months before surgery actually happens, long after the aid is give initial findings.

Fortunately, they dont implant if there's a chance of fluid even if not detected in early tests. Even though there was no detectable fluid in my daughter's ears, they did a tympanostomy on each ear before scheduling surgery. No fluid found, but they wanted to be absolutely certain there was no conductive cause before proceeding. They may say you are eligible pretty early in the process, but there are a large # of tests that CI candidates go through in the months before surgery actually happens, long after the aid is give initial findings.

Well, that's good to know. I was told that they only get one hearing test and go through intense physcological testing.

Glad to see that you turned out to be right. Now, you can move on with a peace of mind. And best of luck with your future!

It was nice of you to come back and tell us. :) Good luck.

Not only that, but wouldn't he only qualify for implantation if he was severe-profound? This family was nowhere near CI territory; even IF the misdiagnosis was correct.

Not only that, but wouldn't he only qualify for implantation if he was severe-profound? This family was nowhere near CI territory; even IF the misdiagnosis was correct.

I think you are right there, Ocean. I got the sense the OP was worried abut overstimulation with HAs, don't think they were pursuing CIs.

I think you are right there, Ocean. I got the sense the OP was worried abut overstimulation with HAs, don't think they were pursuing CIs.

The only situation I can think of that would possibly bring the CI into the picture is if the diagnosis was correct, and, this baby had a progressive loss; a moot point since the baby is hearing.

Sue Audiologist. They have money. :naughty:

Oh, great... Lets just sue everyone!!

There was no harm done to this child, so why bring a lawsuit? It was aggravating to the parents of this child, but no real harm was done. I don't know what harm, if any, was done by wearing HAs for the last several months. But, really, is suing the medical profession the right thing to do when it was reasonable to believe the child had fluid in his ears? That does happen; especially if this baby was born by c section.

I'm NOT suggesting that this family didn't go through hell while this process played out, and I am glad they were tenacious and stuck to their guns when they thought they were right. I feel bad that they had to go through what they did, but to suggest a lawsuit is overreacting just a tad.

Glad things worked out for you and family. Keep checking in on us here and post updates on the "3 little men."

Back