Tent City in Sacramento, California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's sad to see it growin' worse due to economy crisis. People lost their homes and jobs. :(

Sacramento's Tent City Could Be Closed

SACRAMENTO, CA - Time could be running out for more than 100 residents of a now famous tent city north of downtown Sacramento.

Some have compared it to shanty towns, which cropped up after the Great Depression.

But after it was featured on several national TV shows, Sacramento is looking to shut the tent city down.

CAUGHT ON TAPE: News10 crew attacked in tent city

"I don't like having a third world country inside the city," said Mayor Kevin Johnson.

Johnson wants to close the homeless camp and possibly open a city-sanctioned homeless safe zone with running water and toilets.

The mayor said city leaders were still looking into a possible location for the potential encampment.

"We can't ignore our homeless. We have a moral obligation to help," said Johnson.

But tent city residents don't want to move. One resident resorted to violence and attacked a News10 cameraman covering the story on Wednesday. No one was hurt.

"Where are we supposed to go?" said tent city resident Luis.

Residents could be told to leave the property over the next few weeks.

News10/KXTV
Copyright 2009 / All Rights Reserved

Sacramento's Tent City Could Be Closed | News10.net | Sacramento, California | Local News

And, another one - similiar as above.

Tent City in Sacramento, California
KNX - Tent City, Sacramento, CA

Terrible. People are just surviving anywhere they can. If I was a "camper" I wouldnt move either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back