Talking With Your Child About Strangers...

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
Parents

As parents, we need to teach our children about what to watch out for, what things can be done when faced in a potential situation with any strangers and the responsibility that goes with it by assuring them to feel safe telling the parents anything without facing punishment....In most cases, a child will not report an incident with a dangerous person until more than a week later. Often the child fears that their parents will be angry and punish them for what has happened....So by letting your child know that any such situation is not their fault and that they will Not be punished.....

Beware Of....

A dangerous person, child molester, or child abductor, which can be any particular stranger lurking nearby....Children must be taught the importance of being aware of potentially dangerous people and how to react to these situations......You can help protect your children by always being on the lookout for potentially dangerous people no matter where you are.....

Children Should Be Cautious In Areas Such As…

• Beach And Swimming Pools
  • Movie Theaters
  • Parks and Playgrounds
  • Public Restrooms
  • Shopping Malls
  • Busses
  • Planes and Trains

A Question For You....

What would you do if you saw your child talking to a stranger , what would your reaction be? and how would you deal with it?....

What would you do if you saw your child talking to a stranger , what would your reaction be? and how would you deal with it?....

I have already talked to Markus but Jordan is still Young at the Moment...about Safely...A stranger is someone you don't know very well. Never go near a car with a stranger in it.
Never get into a car without my permission.
never answer the door to a stranger without getting me First. never to go into anyone's home without my permission.
No one has the right to touch you or make you feel uncomfortable. that they have the right to say "NO." If someone does try to touch you.. I told Markus to tell me.
If someone offers them candy, money or a gift, or wants to take their picture they are to tell me....My 4 yrs old only knows a few Basic because he is still young and not understand about the World yet.. But, I have told him to stay very close to Me when we are at the Shopping Mall or Any Stores.. I would not let My Oldest Son in the Public Bathroom alone... Some People look at me werid in a way having my 9 yrs old go with me in the public restrooms It just anybody out there can be a Child Molester Or A Child abductor and I cannot bear my Son in the Public Restrooms alone But, He suggest me he would feel more Conforable going alone in the Men room I told him u have 5 mins.. then I am coming in.. Sometimes It Scares me knowing he is in there alone without having someone I know that I trust in there with him...Its a scary Thought. I have taught him to Defend himself If anyone tried to do anything to him by telling him to scream as loud as he can possible so Other People can hear him and know there is a problem in the Restroom.

I have also told him while he is at school/Playground and if a Person you do not know tried to tell you "Your mom was in a car accident and I'm supposed to take you to see her at the hospital."? I told him dont believe it.. he will hear it from family Members Only like his Grandparents, Aunts or Me.. That's it...

My boys Know to stay with me at all times when we are at the Mall But, Markus know the Rules of Safely and Knows how to Protect himself in danger...

:wave:

I'd have to say I agree with Cheri 100%. I have told my kids the same things. They all know that they are not to speak to anyone that they don't know, or unless *I* (or Daddy) indicate that it is all right to do so.

Was at the supermarket a week or so ago, and at the check out line, the man behind me made some small talk...old guy buying some assorted fruits and stuff. He said something like "Boy, they take their time here, ought to open up more registers." I agreed with him and told him that the customers ought to say something to the manager...

Ryan, who was in the shopping cart, says "Mommy, he's a stranger, why are you talking to him?" LOL. He said it really LOUD too...so I was a little embarrassed, but at the same time very proud that my son knows that he is not supposed to talk to strangers. It is all right with me if my kids choose to be polite and to smile and participate in "small talk." But they do know not to get into any cars, they always know that no one is to pick them up from school unless it's me, their father or another relative that we TOLD them would be picking them up. They know never to accept any gifts (still have to work on Ryan on this one, maybe even Jr. too...) from people they don't know, either.

Never too early to "train" them in street smarts.

Malfoyish

Hi Angel, Cheri & Malyoisch :)
It´s not necassary for me to add more... because what you (3) saying are exactly the same opinion as me...
I do all is my children´s safety & protection... VERY same what you said...
:thumb:

There's soooo many ways to admonish our children to safeguard them from possible strangers with a certain malicious intent...training and teaching them early while practicing in situations that could develop and being better prepared...gives our children an advantage that may well save them from any horrible incident and also being able to respond quickly in any given situation...it does take much effort and encouragements from the parent(s) themselves for the sake of their children's safety and well-being....

Last edited:
Yeah...especially those nutters that have been procreated these days. It's hard and scary.

What about those in authority, such as teachers, cops and so forth -- those kids haven't met personally yet...you know what I mean? Teachers at the same school the kids have gone to school, but never been in that teacher's classroom.
It's a sticky situation, really.

Of course, I've talked to my step kids and other kids I've babysat about the dangers of being approached by strangers in general. Just have to have commonsense to stay alert and wary and not accept anything from them.

I have spoke with my two kids about talking to strangers...

MY son Sean tend talk to anybody but as long I am with him he knows.. He like to say Hi or bye etc.. but Lately he hasn't done that in a long time which I feel such a relief that he is not going to be that way for rest of his life..

Right now, Sean knows that with his brain tumor it is hard to talk to anybody that he could trust because His mother is going for a walk for the raise funds soo My mom is making card for us so we can bring to some places such as store, school, etc to try collect some of money.. even if it was 50 cents to whatever in amounts of $ LOL.

I have not told my daughter yet but I plan to do to tell her this week about what happen to me years ago, and what happen to my sister Elaine years ago.. Elaine was almost taken but she pulled herself off and got away from the stranger man.. Everytime My dad hear that muffler he would run out try to chase them away.. then that Vehicle now is gone.. So for me what has happen at the parking lot in my old apartment complex area. this guy ask "where is building E ?" So I told him where it is.. then He moved his towel and said something to me but I did not see his face clearly because I saw a gun on seat I ran away from him into the group of children with 2 adult and report them that car.. then one of adult ran into building and called cop.. another kid almost got taken away too until the 3rd adult who heard about it and saw that car he ran over to that car but the man saw him and took off.. so The police havent got them yet.. I dont remember rest of story but we all went to the police dept and make reports etc..

I will have to ask my mom about that man!

Wendy

A Question For You....

My older son was walking away from the laundry mate 15 years ago. A lady was buying an ice cream for him. I approached this stranger lady to ask her why did she do that for? She stated that she love the children. I was forbidded to let any stranger to closer to my children. I did report to the police about this strange lady. Police wrote a note to the lady. I was not sure what did the police do with the lady.

My heart was bounced as I was looking for my son for few minutes. It was so scared to see many children are missing out there. :cry:

Many parents are working as they did not know what to do with their children at babysit or Day Care. We can't trust Day Care centers.

My oldest daughter is only 2 and half years old. It's difficult for me to tell her not to talk any stranegrs. All i did is tell her to stay with me until she is old enough to understand. I can explain it to her better. Anyone of you who had experience with almost 3 years old and how do you explain to her.

I will do it again to explain my daughter. My son is too young to understand as he is only 9 months old.

I do worry about my kids all the time. :)

Frisky Feline said:
My oldest daughter is only 2 and half years old. It's difficult for me to tell her not to talk any stranegrs. All i did is tell her to stay with me until she is old enough to understand. I can explain it to her better. Anyone of you who had experience with almost 3 years old and how do you explain to her.

I will do it again to explain my daughter. My son is too young to understand as he is only 9 months old.

I do worry about my kids all the time. :)

Little children of these ages can be difficult to explain, let alone understand the reasons behind the 'whys' it isn't good or safe to talk to any strangers...children may indeed nod their heads when we as parents tell or explain something to them, yet, they may not grasp the scope or depth of such an explanation...when my daughter was at this age, I would go through the motions of acting out of possible scenarios and encouraged her to 'act' it out while admonishing her in a nice gentle manner until she would carry it out correctly and also from time to time, bring it up to see if she knew how to handle such a situation and rewarded her graciously when she would give her best to avert unwanted attention, etc....

I am extremely nervous when I hear about very young children being alone in a public place with the risk of meeting unsavory strangers. I'm sure all of your children are very safe under your loving care and education :thumb:

My 3 children likes to chatt'n peoples.. and *knows refused to go along with strangers* for asking anything general... My kids will not go for it..
Glady They already learned from school and us told about the strangers.
My kids can manage talk with strangers... will not go along with stranger's car or else.. none of it.. Just walk away.

Did once, happend my eldest son when he was tiny boy, and talked to stranger almost 10 minutes... I spotted him and stranger. Stranger man tries held his arm.. My son refused handed his hand and said, I can't go with you because my mommy is here. Stranger told him, your mommy is not here. My son ran away and rushed into the neighbour's house. Told Neighbour about the stranger. I tried my best walk fast as I can.. I apporched stranger, FUCK OFF, Stay away from my son! My son heard me scream.. My son run and open the door with Neighbour stranger lady. Stranger Man got turned into RED FACE.. then ran away. Neighbour lady called the police. Few minutes later, Police came and talked with my son.. He explained police about the stranger man... Police was pleasant happy and gave him nice Stuffed K9 Dog animal. My son was happy..
Few years until he turns 12 yrs old. I was talk my eldest son about the past, Ever you remmy about stranger man talked you.. He laughed and said, Oh yes, I remember he offered me etc etc.. and shout say NO. My mommy is here. Stranger Man say.. Your mommy is not here. He knew, he is fire on his pant! I was laughed and funny talk with him..
*impressive my eldest son* wow, never forget about this.... G'Thing, He already talked to his sister and brother about it.. About *warned*
Seems went well so far..
Sometimes, I am quite really concern for my children's safety etc etc...

Cheri said:
I have already talked to Markus but Jordan is still Young at the Moment...about Safely...A stranger is someone you don't know very well. Never go near a car with a stranger in it.
Never get into a car without my permission.
never answer the door to a stranger without getting me First. never to go into anyone's home without my permission.
No one has the right to touch you or make you feel uncomfortable. that they have the right to say "NO." If someone does try to touch you.. I told Markus to tell me.
If someone offers them candy, money or a gift, or wants to take their picture they are to tell me....My 4 yrs old only knows a few Basic because he is still young and not understand about the World yet.. But, I have told him to stay very close to Me when we are at the Shopping Mall or Any Stores.. I would not let My Oldest Son in the Public Bathroom alone... Some People look at me werid in a way having my 9 yrs old go with me in the public restrooms It just anybody out there can be a Child Molester Or A Child abductor and I cannot bear my Son in the Public Restrooms alone But, He suggest me he would feel more Conforable going alone in the Men room I told him u have 5 mins.. then I am coming in.. Sometimes It Scares me knowing he is in there alone without having someone I know that I trust in there with him...Its a scary Thought. I have taught him to Defend himself If anyone tried to do anything to him by telling him to scream as loud as he can possible so Other People can hear him and know there is a problem in the Restroom.

I have also told him while he is at school/Playground and if a Person you do not know tried to tell you "Your mom was in a car accident and I'm supposed to take you to see her at the hospital."? I told him dont believe it.. he will hear it from family Members Only like his Grandparents, Aunts or Me.. That's it...

My boys Know to stay with me at all times when we are at the Mall But, Markus know the Rules of Safely and Knows how to Protect himself in danger...
:werd: I have already talked to my oldest son about stranger and safety issues. He seems to know what I'm talking about, but still he does not quite get it because he still "runs away" in the mall or store. I kept yelling and chasing after him. When I finally caught up to him, I scold him and go sit down in the "car-cart" as it is his punishment. He doesn't like to ride in that because it's restricted.

I even talked to him about parking lot. "Do not even go out there without me, because stranger can simply grab you, put you in their car, and drive off without me knowing it. He seems to understand that.

It's a scary thought, yes, but that's the reality out there. I let my boy go into the public restroom and I time him (3-5 minutes). He's pretty good with that. I told him about child molestors and killers. He acted like he is scared but I told him, "I'm here to protect you so you will be safe if you stay with me at all times."

He's getting better, but still I have to remind him over and over and over until he's sick of this reminder. LOL I'm going to start this on my next boy when he's 3. LOL

Wow, parents, you got your job cut out for you. :) Your kids are lucky to have you all!

DeafRules420 said:
waaait..wait..wait.. hold on a minute..

How can you TALK with your kids about strangers..You're fucckin deaf!

I am Deaf but I can talk.. Surprise huh? My Two Children are Hearing...

^ 5 ChelEler!;)

DeafRules420 said:

What does ' Deaf ' got to do with this?.....Most Deaf Parents can talk....I didn't know we wear hearing aides in our mouth!... :giggle:

Last edited:
DeafRules420 said:

:rofl: You're cracking me up here! :laugh2: Hahaha, yes, I am deaf, but still I can speak verbally.

ChelEler said:
^5 Cheri :) Being a mom teaching kids about strangers is tough, isn't it?

Oh Yes, But it is worth it because too many kids been kidnapped and it takes seconds for all this to happen. It is important to teach the Children important steps that Could Happen to anybody. I keep my Children Close to me and keep them Safe but, I know I am not with my Children 24/7 Sometimes they are at a sitter's house or School Etc. and That is Why I want My Children to be aware of the Risks Involved and How to Keep themselves Safe. :mrgreen:

Back