Students, Your questions answered here.

There are sounds around the house that my husband can hear and alerts me to that I don't, like the dishwasher (once it stops, it's finished), the microwave timer beeping, etc.

Good luck with your project!

I was wondering about local Deaf Clubs here in Oklahoma. Do any remain and who are they? Through the internet I only find very little. Thanks.

Hi! My name's Emily! I'm a high school senior and i'm doing my project on Deaf Culture. I chose this project after visiting my sisters college Lenoir-Rhyne University in Hickory NC and saw two students conversing in ASL. Immediatley I was mesmerized! I thought it was beautiful and interesting and I couldn't wait to learn more about it! Anywho I have some questions (actually I have a lot); if anyone can answer them I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advnace! :)
1. Where you born deaf? If not how old were you when you were diagnosed & how did it happen?
2. What type of school did you go to? (Mainstream, School for the deaf)
3. Do you wear a hearing aid?
4. Do you lip read?
5. How do people react when they find out you’re deaf?
6. Would you say you interact with the hearing or deaf more?
7. How do you feel about cochlear implants?
8. Do you ever wish you could hear?
9. Do you wish more hearing people could sign?
10. Do you ever communicate orally or do you prefer to sign?
11. Do you use ASL, SEE, or any other type of signing?
12. What are your pet peeves about the hearing?
13. How does being deaf affect your other senses?
14. What kind of music do you prefer?
15. How has being deaf affected your childhood? Were there things you missed out on?
16. How do you communicate with those who don’t sign?
17. What career do you have/plan on having?
18. Are there other deaf members in your family?
19. Have you or do you attend speech therapy classes?
20. On a scale of 1-10 how supportive has your family been? (optional)
21. How often would you say you are discriminated against?
22. Do you think having a hearing 'disability' has made you more empathetic or accepting towards others with different disabilities?
23. What are some slang terms used by the deaf community?
24. Have you ever encountered a deaf person from another country? If so did you have trouble communicating with them?
25. Are you/have you ever been in a deaf-hearing relationship?
26. Are there any special tools that you use that help you in your day-to-day life?
27. Do you have a license? If given the opportunity what would you like to say to those in the hearing community who don’t think it’s safe for the deaf to drive?
28. What are some things the deaf community finds offensive that the hearing community does?
29. What are some things you love about the culture/community that you can’t find in the hearing?
30. How often do you see hearing service dogs? Do you have one?
31. What terminology should be avoided when speaking to or about a deaf person?

Hi! My name's Emily! I'm a high school senior and i'm doing my project on Deaf Culture. I chose this project after visiting my sisters college Lenoir-Rhyne University in Hickory NC and saw two students conversing in ASL. Immediatley I was mesmerized! I thought it was beautiful and interesting and I couldn't wait to learn more about it! Anywho I have some questions (actually I have a lot); if anyone can answer them I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advnace! :)
1. Where you born deaf? If not how old were you when you were diagnosed & how did it happen?
2. What type of school did you go to? (Mainstream, School for the deaf)
3. Do you wear a hearing aid?
4. Do you lip read?
5. How do people react when they find out you’re deaf?
6. Would you say you interact with the hearing or deaf more?
7. How do you feel about cochlear implants?
8. Do you ever wish you could hear?
9. Do you wish more hearing people could sign?
10. Do you ever communicate orally or do you prefer to sign?
11. Do you use ASL, SEE, or any other type of signing?
12. What are your pet peeves about the hearing?
13. How does being deaf affect your other senses?
14. What kind of music do you prefer?
15. How has being deaf affected your childhood? Were there things you missed out on?
16. How do you communicate with those who don’t sign?
17. What career do you have/plan on having?
18. Are there other deaf members in your family?
19. Have you or do you attend speech therapy classes?
20. On a scale of 1-10 how supportive has your family been? (optional)
21. How often would you say you are discriminated against?
22. Do you think having a hearing 'disability' has made you more empathetic or accepting towards others with different disabilities?
23. What are some slang terms used by the deaf community?
24. Have you ever encountered a deaf person from another country? If so did you have trouble communicating with them?
25. Are you/have you ever been in a deaf-hearing relationship?
26. Are there any special tools that you use that help you in your day-to-day life?
27. Do you have a license? If given the opportunity what would you like to say to those in the hearing community who don’t think it’s safe for the deaf to drive?
28. What are some things the deaf community finds offensive that the hearing community does?
29. What are some things you love about the culture/community that you can’t find in the hearing?
30. How often do you see hearing service dogs? Do you have one?
31. What terminology should be avoided when speaking to or about a deaf person?

That is way too many questions that we don't want to answer them. Also they are personal questions and most of the time it is none of your business to be nosy in our private lives. So if you want to know about deafness and the Deaf Culture, you need to read almost everything we had post in the threads (forum). You will probably find lot of things that can answer your questions, otherwise you have to study on your own to figure that out. :cool2:

I'm not a student, but I've been thinking about this and trying to find an un-offending way to ask about it: How can hearing person experience/simulate deafness?
This is strictly for personal experience, and not to garner pity from others!

For TV, the easy answer is to mute the sound.
But since most stuff on TV is hearing people saying stuff to each other, it doesn't contribute to ASL or deaf culture.

I also thought about if plugging one's ears is similar to deafness, but even if I plug my ears I can still hear my bloodstream. In the summer when I had started fingerspelling, I practiced fingerspelling underwater with a friend. You hear a lot of water but you can't hear the other person. But in either case, it isn't complete "no hearing" deafness.

I'm not a deaf wannabe, but I'm interested in experiencing deafness to understand the need for communication by ASL. I think there is something I am overlooking in ASL because I am hearing (or I am really distracted or reliant on the sounds of lips smacking, hands rubbing, and mouths aspirating), but I also think that if I keep at it, in 4 or 5 years I will know what those things may be.

I'm not a student, but I've been thinking about this and trying to find an un-offending way to ask about it: How can hearing person experience/simulate deafness?

But since most stuff on TV is hearing people saying stuff to each other, it doesn't contribute to ASL or deaf culture.

I also thought about if plugging one's ears is similar to deafness, but even if I plug my ears I can still hear my bloodstream. In the summer when I had started fingerspelling, I practiced fingerspelling underwater. You hear a lot of water but you can't hear the other person. But in either case, it isn't complete "no hearing" deafness.

I'm not a deaf wannabe, but I'm interested in experiencing deafness to understand the need for communication by ASL. I think there is something I am overlooking in ASL because I am hearing, but I also think that if I keep at it, in 4 or 5 years I will know what those things may be.

I know some hearing people have custom earmolds made for sleeping. Maybe that is similar.

This is strictly for personal experience, and not to garner pity from others!

I also thought about if plugging one's ears is similar to deafness, but even if I plug my ears I can still hear my bloodstream. In the summer when I had started fingerspelling, I practiced fingerspelling underwater with a friend. You hear a lot of water but you can't hear the other person. But in either case, it isn't complete "no hearing" deafness.

I'm not a deaf wannabe, but I'm interested in experiencing deafness to understand the need for communication by ASL. I think there is something I am overlooking in ASL because I am hearing (or I am really distracted or reliant on the sounds of lips smacking, hands rubbing, and mouths aspirating), but I also think that if I keep at it, in 4 or 5 years I will know what those things may be.
There are ways to simulate not hearing (try a Bose noise-cancelling headset) but you can never simulate the deaf experience. Unless you want to stop hearing for a few years, 24/7, go to work, school, and family get-togethers, you really won't have the same experience.

Hi! My name's Emily! I'm a high school senior and i'm doing my project on Deaf Culture. I chose this project after visiting my sisters college Lenoir-Rhyne University in Hickory NC and saw two students conversing in ASL. Immediatley I was mesmerized! I thought it was beautiful and interesting and I couldn't wait to learn more about it! Anywho I have some questions (actually I have a lot); if anyone can answer them I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advnace! :) ....
Are you sure that's enough questions? :roll:

I know some hearing people have custom earmolds made for sleeping. Maybe that is similar.

*quoting Bott but addressing shimo*

I have custom earmolds. They don't eliminate all sound. In some ways they make my hearing *more* sensitive. If I'm in a very loud environment, they cut down on the intensity of the loudest noises (like a really loud stereo at a deaf event) but I can hear things happening close to me (like someone talking or crumpling a food wrapper) better with them. (Note: you can have custom earplugs made that are designed for picking up that kind of thing. These are not those. But they still have some of that effect.) I was actually hoping that they were going to give me total silence (not to duplicate the Deaf experience - just for some peace and quiet) since they're perfectly fitted to the shape of my ears. But it doesn't work that way. They're not useless - I think they protect my hearing when things are loud, but you'll be disappointed if you're looking for deafness.

Hello,

I am a graphic designer and at the moment I am looking at developing a project in relation to representing visually the sounds present in everyday environments.
I want to create animations over the top of video footage that creates a visual 'soundscape' which both reflects origin and type of sounds and their dominance/volume in a space.

The kind of environments I would like to focus on are those of the everyday, for example, the kitchen at home, a garden, a coffee shop, the street etc.

My hope for the project is that it would help to communicate, without words, these sounds to deaf people.

However, I appreciate there are some basic questions I have to address first, 2 of which are:

- Would this visualization of everyday sounds be something that a deaf person would want or be interested in?

- If so are there any specific environments or sounds that you would be interested in seeing?

Any opinions or advice anyone could offer me would be really useful to me and very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

If you are talking about animation, you still have to put sound words on what you are making the sounds. We could not hear or could not notice the difference of sounds. It is better to make the caption word for noise like door slamming or phone ringing or in the kitchen clattering dishes in the sink or slamming the cabinets. We can only hear environment sounds (not that clearly like clear as a bell, uh-uh, it is not like that at all) but not on T.V. as we depended on closed captioned to help us understand what is going on in their environment. If you think we can do visually noticing that someone is slamming the door making no caption for sound thinking we can understand there is a door slammed loudly which we could hear a little bit with hearing aids or CIs. But still we might miss that sounds anyway as we are deaf. Our deafness is different than the hearing person can hear the sounds on T.V.

As I keep saying that it is better to put words in for caption so that the deaf and possibly hard of hearing can see they are making noises on T.V. No matter what, you need to do this definitely. Closed captioned, please. :cool2:

Project about things Deaf people do not discuss with each other

Hello!

My name is Sophie and I go to New York University. I studied ASL for two years and hope to continue my education of ASL and Deaf Culture.
I am currently working on a project and would love some help from the Deaf community!
The focus of my project is on things that are kept private in the Deaf
community that Deaf people do not discuss with each other, and why. I
am aware that Deaf people are generally very straightforward and do
not hesitate to point out things that hearing people may hesitate to
point out, which lead me to wonder where Deaf people may draw the line
with each other. Any input on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance,
Sophie

Hi,
I'm doing an assignment on hearing aids/cochlear implants. If you're reading this and have either, would you mind answering? I need 3 people to answer. Thanks :)

QUESTIONS FOR INTERVIEW WITH 3 PEOPLE WHO WEAR HEARING AIDS
1. How long have you worn your hearing aids?
2. For how long before you got your hearing aids did you suspect you had a hearing loss?
3. How long do you wear your hearing aids each day?
4. Do you feel like you get benefit from your hearing aids?
5. What complaints do you have about your hearing aids?
6. Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do?
7. Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer?

QUESTIONS FOR INTERVIEW WITH PEOPLE WHO WEAR COCHLEAR
IMPLANTS
1. When did you have the surgery to get your cochlear implant?
2. After you were implanted, how long did it take before you were able to see benefit
from the implant?
3. What situations are best for listening with your implant?
4. What situations are hardest for you when listening with your implant?
5. What complaints do you have about your cochlear implant?
6. Do you feel like your cochlear implant has lived up to what your audiologist and/or
surgeon told you it would do?
7. Do you think you do better with the implant as compared to when you had hearing
aids?

Hi,
I'm doing an assignment on hearing aids/cochlear implants. If you're reading this and have either, would you mind answering? I need 3 people to answer. Thanks :)

QUESTIONS FOR INTERVIEW WITH 3 PEOPLE WHO WEAR HEARING AIDS
1. How long have you worn your hearing aids?
2. For how long before you got your hearing aids did you suspect you had a hearing loss?
3. How long do you wear your hearing aids each day?
4. Do you feel like you get benefit from your hearing aids?
5. What complaints do you have about your hearing aids?
6. Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do?
7. Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer?

QUESTIONS FOR INTERVIEW WITH PEOPLE WHO WEAR COCHLEAR
IMPLANTS
1. When did you have the surgery to get your cochlear implant?
2. After you were implanted, how long did it take before you were able to see benefit
from the implant?
3. What situations are best for listening with your implant?
4. What situations are hardest for you when listening with your implant?
5. What complaints do you have about your cochlear implant?
6. Do you feel like your cochlear implant has lived up to what your audiologist and/or
surgeon told you it would do?
7. Do you think you do better with the implant as compared to when you had hearing
aids?

Credit for at least trying to put it in the right place! :lol:

Those questions are in at least three thread by your classmates in the last week, so I suggest you just read those and use the answers.

This applies to anyone else who chooses to put a repetitive , oft answered survey in this thread! :mad2:

Credit for at least trying to put it in the right place! :lol:

Those questions are in at least three thread by your classmates in the last week, so I suggest you just read those and use the answers.

This applies to anyone else who chooses to put a repetitive , oft answered survey in this thread! :mad2:

Oh sorry, I didn't see them anywhere. Could you point me in the right direction?

Why is this so funny?! :laugh2:

:confused: Are you one of the hearing who have arrived in our midst seeking a deaf mate?

Otherwise, this is sort of meant for serious questions that students were unable to find an answer by searching the previous posts in the forum.

:confused: Are you one of the hearing who have arrived in our midst seeking a deaf mate?

Otherwise, this is sort of meant for serious questions that students were unable to find an answer by searching the previous posts in the forum.

Oh, sorry. I wasn't meaning to distract from the purpose of the tread. I just found it amusing that "can we marry you" has been asked so many time to warrant it being in this (FAQ) thread!:aw: And, no on the seeking of a deaf mate.

who in the next two days (before 3-18-13 at 2pm pst) can give me info outside of websites about the Deaflympics? i have a short paper to write about on the subject.

thank you for whatever help you can give

Deaf President Now

Good Morning All,

I am Student interested in learning about the Deaf Community. I would like your expertise, knowledge and experience in order to supplement and share for two upcoming assignments which I described below:

For my communications class I (and four other group members) am giving a speech on deaf culture. As a hearing person I can only speculate as to what topics are the most important to the Deaf community to discuss. Some of these students in my class may never meet or learn about a Deaf person outside of what is provided in this speech therefore I would like an inside perspective from a Deaf point of view as to what idea's involving deaf culture you feel are the most important and most impactful.

For my sign language class I have to conduct and interview with a deaf adult, who was at least 18 at the time of the DPN protest. If you would not mind answering some questions on your thoughts and feelings on the DPN protest as well as video phone conference with me (doesn't need to be long but photo is a requirement) please contact me: theeubanks@ymail.com. Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Back