Students Looking for ASL buddies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would someone want to learn Spanish? Or French? Or Japanese? Everyone has their reasons. I don't feel I have to explain my reasons as to why I wants to learn ASL to anyone and I don't expect one from anyone either. In my case, my reasons are close to my heart and personal but I'm learning it whether you think it's acceptable or not just because I'm not deaf.
Some people don't live in an area where an ASL class is available so they seek other sources to learn more, including websites like AllDeaf where they can find out what other options they have.
Their interest in learning this language could be because of someone they know, a profession they chose, or even curiosity.
This website isn't strictly for deaf individuals so I don't understand why you would say such things just because people who aren't deaf are interested in learning the language. I'm not saying there aren't uneducated (about deaf culture) people who say stupid things because they are everywhere, but not every person is out to "play with you" like a toy. A lot of the people in this forum just want someone to practice with because they don't know anyone who is interested in learning with them. There are plenty of men and women who are deaf who are willing to help those of us who are new to ASL. You are obviously not one of them and that's okay but why do you have to put down those of us who want to learn?

Hey there, you live in my state and I could give you multiple locations to take an ASL class. There is so much available here.

Switched at Birth has brought a huge influx of people , especially young girls who want to learn ASL.

Later they will probably be a bit disappointed when they find very few of us are Sean Berdy. ;)

@Bebonang you don't like anybody use you? what if someone wanna to be your real friend, to get know about you and asl same time, do you interesting?

@Bebonang you don't like anybody use you? what if someone wanna to be your real friend, to get know about you and asl same time, do you interesting?

It is nothing to do who I like or not like. It is the way they said when they are talking about ASL or any sign language. They don't understand that this is important for them to go to the ASL class, not online. Also they need to study about Deaf Culture, otherwise they will make mistakes, not doing the proper signs and also not knowing about who we are as d/Deaf people, even HOH and that we have to associate with them in the Deaf events.

I think they are using ASL or sign language to enjoy for themselves. They looked at the sign language as a foreign language like SAB94. It will be their secret code to communicate with their hearing friends.

I am just shocked that they want to learn to sign ASL or sign language online and not know anything about Deaf people generally, not even Deaf Culture. They just want to make friends that they don't know nothing about us. Also some of them had never met d/Deaf people. This is way out of line.

Beside, there are some colleges that teach foreign language like sign languages or find somewhere where there is sign language class with Deaf Culture. Here in United States, ASL classes are everywhere if you can look hard enough to find in high schools and colleges. Only way to ask if there is a sign language class is at the Deaf schools both here and overseas. After they learned how to sign in the Deaf classes, then they can meet Deaf people in the Deaf events. This is the way they should do the right thing to do.

As for SBA94 and others, yes, they are toying with us, d/Deaf and HOH.

Mock30, are you d/Deaf or Hard Of Hearing?

It is nothing to do who I like or not like. It is the way they said when they are talking about ASL or any sign language. They don't understand that this is important for them to go to the ASL class, not online. Also they need to study about Deaf Culture, otherwise they will make mistakes, not doing the proper signs and also not knowing about who we are as d/Deaf people, even HOH and that we have to associate with them in the Deaf events.

I think they are using ASL or sign language to enjoy for themselves. They looked at the sign language as a foreign language like SAB94. It will be their secret code to communicate with their hearing friends.

I am just shocked that they want to learn to sign ASL or sign language online and not know anything about Deaf people generally, not even Deaf Culture. They just want to make friends that they don't know nothing about us. Also some of them had never met d/Deaf people. This is way out of line.

Beside, there are some colleges that teach foreign language like sign languages or find somewhere where there is sign language class with Deaf Culture. Here in United States, ASL classes are everywhere if you can look hard enough to find in high schools and colleges. Only way to ask if there is a sign language class is at the Deaf schools both here and overseas. After they learned how to sign in the Deaf classes, then they can meet Deaf people in the Deaf events. This is the way they should do the right thing to do.

you made your point. now i get it.

First off how am I toying with with deaf and HOH people? You know nothing about me so you have no right to claim to know my reasonings. I'm not here to make fun of or make people feel less than like you seem so dead set on doing. Why don't you want people to be more informed about your culture even if they aren't deaf? What is so bad about someone wanting to learn the language? You make no sense.
Why is it out of line for someone to want to learn about the deaf culture by MAKING FRIENDS WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE DEAF AND CAN INFORM THEM ABOUT IT? Everyone has to start somewhere when it comes to learning. Just like you had to at some point in you're life. You didn't just KNOW every sign or everything about the culture. You had to be taught just like everyone else. How can we know what NOT to do or what's correct when we aren't learning from people who know the difference? My interest in ASL isn't because of some TV show, and like I said before, I don't need to explain mine.
I'm aware that Iowa has plenty of courses in ASL, I never said it wasn't available to ME. I said it's not available to some people and they use other sources like AllDeaf to find other options. I am not learning ASL online, I will be taking college courses starting this year. ASL is a foreign language to those who don't speak it. Just like English would be foreign to someone who doesn't speak the language. Unless you're saying sign language IS NOT a language, then it is in fact a foreign language.
Youre words and assumptions are idiotic and simple minded. Passing judgement on people you know nothing about, who have said nothing against you, is just plain rude. There is nothing wrong with hearing or HOH people wanting to learn ASL, shame on you for trying to belittle those of us who are doing so.

First off how am I toying with with deaf and HOH people? You know nothing about me so you have no right to claim to know my reasonings. I'm not here to make fun of or make people feel less than like you seem so dead set on doing. Why don't you want people to be more informed about your culture even if they aren't deaf? What is so bad about someone wanting to learn the language? You make no sense.
Why is it out of line for someone to want to learn about the deaf culture by MAKING FRIENDS WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE DEAF AND CAN INFORM THEM ABOUT IT? Everyone has to start somewhere when it comes to learning. Just like you had to at some point in you're life. You didn't just KNOW every sign or everything about the culture. You had to be taught just like everyone else. How can we know what NOT to do or what's correct when we aren't learning from people who know the difference? My interest in ASL isn't because of some TV show, and like I said before, I don't need to explain mine.
I'm aware that Iowa has plenty of courses in ASL, I never said it wasn't available to ME. I said it's not available to some people and they use other sources like AllDeaf to find other options. I am not learning ASL online, I will be taking college courses starting this year. ASL is a foreign language to those who don't speak it. Just like English would be foreign to someone who doesn't speak the language. Unless you're saying sign language IS NOT a language, then it is in fact a foreign language.
Youre words and assumptions are idiotic and simple minded. Passing judgement on people you know nothing about, who have said nothing against you, is just plain rude. There is nothing wrong with hearing or HOH people wanting to learn ASL, shame on you for trying to belittle those of us who are doing so.
Oh, dear.
My thread here, and I really don't allow that kind of name calling.

Bebonang has lived a long life and seen a lot.

Ten years from now, when your enthusiasm for having a deaf friend has waned, please think back on how you confront the first deaf person to interact with you at all, just because she questions your motives.

And someone who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're" probably should not call others idiot.

Black bold in your comment above, it is good for you that you are taking the ASL class with Deaf Culture at your college this year. Summer? Winter?

This website isn't strictly for deaf individuals

To be honest with you, it is for the Deaf and Hard Of Hearing community here but we welcomed hearing people if they have deaf (child)ren or deaf siblings, even husbands and wives who are deaf or hard of hearing. Sometimes we get hearing people who are learning to become ASL or sign language interpreters.

As for me, I am being blunt as a Deaf person telling you what I want you to know that we are foremost having to go through the hearing world. Most hearing people, especially hearing parents, are excited or anxious to have us go through what they wanted us to be like them. They seem to want to change us to be like them instead of our own Deaf Culture and using our primary ASL language. ASL and sign language (different countries) are the language that we signed to communicate as we could not hear or pick up the words from the different voices. As for lipreading, it is not accurate as we have a hard time reading lips 30% out of 100% percent (perfect). For the mild hearing loss, HOH can pick up somewhat if they could make out what the person was saying. Lipreading with voices to tell what the person was saying, they might be able to pick up what words they could recognized. But for severe and profound hearing loss, that would be impossible to do that, even with hearing aid(s) or CI. That is why we depend on using ASL for communication and not worry about straining to understand hearing people. That is our Deaf Culture which I am teaching you about ourselves.

Learn and Master ASL video course. i never heard of them. i checked out website. they are pretty expensive. you here looking for asl buddy? you can find someone are available for you.

Oh, dear.
My thread here, and I really don't allow that kind of name calling.

Bebonang has lived a long life and seen a lot.

Ten years from now, when your enthusiasm for having a deaf friend has waned, please think back on how you confront the first deaf person to interact with you at all, just because she questions your motives.

And someone who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're" probably should not call others idiot.

Why do you assume she is the first deaf person to interact with me to me? Assume assume assume. People need to stop doing that because they start **** like this.
Yes I confronted Bebonbang because what she said was plain rude and it offended me. I'm not one to sit back and let someone insult me for no reason other than they assume.
My goodness, I made one grammar mistake, one I can't seem to find anyways. Why do people go for grammar mistakes when they have nothing else to say?
BeBonbang offended me, what she said was uncalled for and having a hard life is absolutely not an excuse for anyone. Just because she has had bad experiences with some hearing people doesn't give her the right to say such nasty things because she ASSUMES I am (or) we are "toying with deaf people". Not once did I say I wanted a play date. I want someone to help me study.
Yes you did in fact make this thread for "the ASL students who want to practice so they can contacts each other and find who wants to practice with them." Which is exactly why I'm in this thread.
I'm not here to be mean or make someone feel like ****. I'm here to learn about the deaf culture, make a couple friends and maybe learn something that will help me with my classes. I won't put up with someone who's trying to make me look bad/feel bad when I did nothing wrong.
Kay I've said my piece. I don't really care what else anyone has to say because I'm done arguing with, now, both of you.

Rnock30 yes I've invested a lot of time and money to learn ASL, and that's exactly why I'm in this thread. To find someone to be a study buddy Before starting my classes in the fall.

Well, you're leaning about Deaf culture right now on this forum and apparently you're failing the course.

I'd love to practice ASL with you over Skype! I'm somewhat of an intermediate signer but I have such a passion for signing! I plan on doing it professionally!

Honestly, we are just ignorant

I am hearing but now have a student that is Deaf, 9 years old, knows maybe 5 signs. I am learning because I want the student to be able to communicate and enjoy social relationships - BUT, I did seek out classes so that I can understand more about the culture. I had no idea how much I did not know, and am embarrassed by my ignorance. I can't imagine learning from a book or online course, there are so many nuances to learn fully. I wish this were more widely understood. I thank everyone who is helping me to better understand!

Looking for ASL Friends

Hi Everyone!

I've known ASL for about 7 years now and have graduated from an interpreting program, as well as attending graduate school at Gallaudet in 2013.

I'm a little rusty on my signing and would love to sign with anyone who would love to learn along with me and chat in ASL!

Looking forward to meeting you guys! :wave:

-John

Drama! Welcome to deaf culture, [emoji12] [emoji28] [emoji106] [emoji197] ....

id love to help!

Im hard of hearing and id love to help anyone practice sign language:) i also need practice myself too. So let me know and maybe we can FaceTime or Skype...:)
thanks

Practice...

Hi Everyone!

I've known ASL for about 7 years now and have graduated from an interpreting program, as well as attending graduate school at Gallaudet in 2013.

I'm a little rusty on my signing and would love to sign with anyone who would love to learn along with me and chat in ASL!

Looking forward to meeting you guys! :wave:

-John

Hi John! Im also looking for someone to practice with. Im hard of hearing and in high school still and want to become an interpreter also:) Let me know if you want to Skype or FaceTime sometime. I don't want to get rusty with my signs and my high school doesn't offer any more sign classes:/

I have both Skype and ooVoo.

I would be more than happy to set up a weekly ASL chat for those who want to practise with an ASL fluent signer.
i need an asl buddy via skype if you can help that would be great ... i am very new at it but want to learn it alot for multiple reasons ...thank you

I am hearing, but I used to work with someone who was deaf and became fluent in sign language. But that was years ago and I have forgot almost all of it. I want to get back to being fluent (even interested in becoming an interpreter). If there is anyone who is fluent who would like to patiently start video chatting with me, that would be great! It shouldn't take long for me to get back to where I can communicate with others. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back