Student and Friend

rball27

Reaction score
Introducing myself here! I am Rachel, 31, prior military and a full time student now for Government and Legal Studies. As a disclaimer, I'm not sure if this is the proper place or forum for this, but I'm a firm believer in "not knowing until you ask" so I figured I would try. I have limited experience with the deaf community/culture and ASL (I can do basic sign but not extensively). However, I have grown up my entire life with my adult uncle who is deaf, and very active in the ASL community. One of my current classes is an intercultural communications class. For our research assignment/term paper we are each able to pick a community that we wish to study and understand more: their history, values, beliefs, communication patterns, etc. My choice in this community is personal to me because of our family and the interest I have always had in this community - uniqueness, families which are multicultural and bilingual, etc. Part of this research is conducting an interview.

If this isn't the proper forum I completely understand and mean no offense; I have been struggling to find avenues to connect with those in the community and meet the terms of my project. However, my assignment this week is to interview someone willing from within the cultural community that I've picked. **Edited to add, if this is not an acceptable forum for this, but you have ideas or a solution to where I may successfully find someone to interact with/interview please let me know. I would appreciate alternatives as well!

Our professor prefers we interview someone who is also not a part of Western society (which rules out interviewing my Uncle or Cousin as well). That being said, I intend to post the interview questions we are required to ask below. I'm hoping to find someone from outside the U.S. who wouldn't mind emailing/communicating with me for this, but decided I'd also like to post it here for anyone who would want to respond (even within the U.S. because I enjoy seeing many people's responses and perspectives to things). Hopefully this is Ok, and if not I can remove this post. The one caveat, is that answers must be directly from the respondent - not plagiarized or looked up from the internet. Just the individuals thought processes on the questions asked.

For anyone who responds, thank you in advance for your time and willingness! I appreciate it greatly. If someone from overseas is willing to communicate, our Professor has asked that we seek permission to share contact info (for this, likely just name and email) in the case that she wishes to verify our interview. I am currently a student at GCU online.

***This interview can be in person or over the phone (some people who have emailed have found that their interviewees actually plagiarized the responses so you may use email but be very cautious and check the Similarity Score before submitting). This may be someone you know personally or that you locate through a local cultural center, club, religious organization or even an embassy or consulate. You need to obtain permission from this individual to list their contact information in your paper in the event that your instructor needs to verify your work.

During your interview you should ask the following questions:

• What do you identify as the most important or distinct practices of your culture?
  • How are gender roles addressed in your culture?
  • How is social power, authority, or social roles in a hierarchy expressed in your culture?
  • In class, we learned that in “honor-oriented societies,” worth comes from one’s role or group membership and in “justice-oriented societies,” worth comes from what one does or doesn’t do. What is the role of honor/shame in your culture? Are honor/pride and dishonor/shame important concepts in your culture?
Thank you again, and nice to meet you all!
-Rachel

Last edited:
Back