So I had a job interview today...

My guess is that Alex makes money to pay for the site from the Ads, so he doesn't want to let people advertise ******* (Adblock, if that gets filtered) plugins available for Chrome/Firefox, that allow you to not view ads on most websites.
I didn't mean to use anything against ads. How is anyone supposed to know which words are banned?

:ty:

I didn't mean to use anything against ads. How is anyone supposed to know which words are banned?

:ty:

Prolly just by seeing them be banned when you use them by accident, lol. I could only tell because only the adblock section of the word roadblock was censored.

Have you looked into government jobs? You can try to apply through Schedule A. That is one way I was hired by the government (but they visited my school last year so that's how I get to know the agency I work for).

I think the link is...usajobs.gov

Yeah that can do too but they are more interested in seeing any kids who go to school or have degrees.

Thats why i encourage anyone to go to school.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I needed it :)

By the way, I only have a high school diploma so that makes my hunting slightly harder since I'm seeing "bacholar degree wanted"

I like the nursing idea, and the list of jobs I can prolly get now. :)

By the way, I only have a high school diploma so that makes my hunting slightly harder since I'm seeing "bacholar degree wanted"

Maybe VR can pay for you to get a nursing certificate or degree.

Thanks AJW, I'm really kinda puzzled... my qualifications were great but my background wasn't? What is that supposed to mean???

"Form Letter" sent to everyone who did not get the job. I wouldn't be to concerned about the "wording". I've gotten many of these in my years of searching for a perm job (worked temp jobs for 16 years until recently hired by the client I'd been working for for 3 years).

I am in Southern Illinois so what I am seeing in our paper may differ from what is in your area. But . . . I run across nursing home adds that "will train" for CNA positions. Then Community Colleges in this general area offer LPN and RN programs. I am not sure if either the LPN or RN programs can be taken on a part time basis. There is testing to enter them.

I'm feeling a bit down right now... been searching on indeed.com and I'm trying to find jobs that I could qualify for, but most of them says "must be able to speak, hear" and its lowering my self esteem :( Customer service was my strongest point, but I can barely hear the customers I have now so I'm trying to find a different field.... ugh... someone help me with ideas, I'm about to throw down the towel.

Temp agencies? I worked temp jobs for 16 years. It's better than nothing and can "get your foot in the door".

I had 2 different positions years apart from each other as a CNA. First one was while in high school and I went to a Technical school during summer school and during my Senior year I worked as a CNA at a local hospital (now shut down by the medical boards and such). Second CNA position, a nursing home, I saw an ad in the local paper that mentioned a $500 sign on bonus, full time position, will train. When I went in, I was given my choice of shifts (not normally done like that), that determined my class schedule, I was then hired and given classes at the local Career Center and then once certified, was given my bonus. I really enjoyed it and had to quit due to my work hours not coinciding with hubby new hours. the nursing home would not let me change my shift.

My aunt works at a nursing home for many years. She is a supervisor of the nursing home. I think that she likes her job so far. Nobody wants to work everyday so we just have to live with it.

My last job I had was working with the IRS as a clerk. You can apply for an IRS job at usajobs.com/gov whichever it is. The Clerk position was only seasonal, bu they can call you back to work the following season, or they can hire you on for another position that is full time. I made like 12 bucks an hour as a clerk. All you do is sit and sort out tax returns. Apply early so you can try to get the job earlier or get a better one.

nothing in my area other than a mental health social worker on that site, and requires a masters degree which I don't have lol.

I graduated high school 8 yrs ago.

nothing in my area other than a mental health social worker on that site, and requires a masters degree which I don't have lol.

I graduated high school 8 yrs ago.

Then, you could try to apply for a frame shop job because you finished your diploma which is okay. I used to work for a frame shop for a few years, and it is not too bad. It's a little low salary which is better than no job. If you are on SSI and no health problem, then it would be a good start for you to search for a job. But, beware that the SS department WILL mail you to deny your SSI in two years (maybe one) because I have heard about it. They said that they should have kept their five-years sub-payments for proof. I really think that everyone should keep any salary/SSI records in your file for seven years. Always start with a small company in order for you to expand your field so that you would able to work for another company to get a bigger salary like in two or three years if lucky. The biggest problem of all is that they don't appreciate to hire deaf people. ADA cannot sue the companies for a job interview unless you worked for a few weeks (?) or months. That's why the Republican changed the ADA's new version.

...It has nothing to do with your good speech ... The interviewers are often panic that a person is deaf period no matter what. They also simply don't like to pay an interpreter. OMG.

I was lucky and found a counseling agency in my area at the time that was looking for a part time office manager. I managed to get that job, but they found that the administration office upstairs needed someone to do simple data entry. I started to do that part time as well. Technically it was full time, but my pay came from two different accounts within the agency. Then, my job as data entry started getting bigger and bigger, so they hired another person for the office manager, and I went full time with the data entry job. They are a 501c3 agency. It was one of the best jobs I ever could have imagined. After I lost all my hearing, they worked with me to make the office better suited to my needs. IT really broke my heart to have to quit, but we had to move 2 hours away, and now I am 1300 miles away.

You might ask around and some of the office that have counseling services to see if they have anything. Most are willing to hire part timers and move to full time and at least mine had fantastic benefits.

Well, you could try that job at a counseling agency. I was told that four sectors are freezing for a long time. Four sectors are: Federal, Non-Profit Organization (501c3), Private organization (profit), and I don't remember the last one. The Non-Profit has no guarantee for deaf people to get a job - this is very bad. I assume that KristinaB got that job about five or ten years ago which was the last chance.

We will have to find out our Government's announcement on August 4th whether the SS will pull out of the system or not. If that happen, we might start a real Revolution War II.

Well, you could try that job at a counseling agency. I was told that four sectors are freezing for a long time. Four sectors are: Federal, Non-Profit Organization (501c3), Private organization (profit), and I don't remember the last one. The Non-Profit has no guarantee for deaf people to get a job - this is very bad. I assume that KristinaB got that job about five or ten years ago which was the last chance.

We will have to find out our Government's announcement on August 4th whether the SS will pull out of the system or not. If that happen, we might start a real Revolution War II.

I got the job there 8 years ago. However, I was told, that if I ever moved back to Columbia, MO, I could have that job back.

A lot of times ads will have requirements regarding hearing and speaking, and it has a lot to do with customer service and using the phone. Honestly, not using the phone is an easy accommodation because there are other people who can handle that task. A co-worker and I are deaf and work in the apparel department at a Walmart, and apparel associates typically are the ones to also work at the fitting room and answer the phone there. However, we are not required to answer the phone. Plus, my managers and most customers have no issues with writing back and forth if needed.

So, go ahead and apply for anything you can get your hands on. If you are willing to move, there is a nursing home for deaf senior citizens in MA :) Towns surrounding Gally and RIT probably have no issues with hiring deaf people because it's a common thing to do there.

One thing to keep in mind is that the economy is making it really tough for anyone to get a job, even for hearing people. My co-worker whom I just mentioned had an accounting job but was laid off a few years ago due to the economy.

Back