Skyrim Vs. Oblivion

whiskeyonesix

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Right, bit of a nerdfest this one...

I finished TES:Oblivion about 3 weeks ago - when I mean finished, I mean the lot, every quest, everything.

So rather than spend time with my Wife who had turned into an Oblivion Widow in the meantime, I did the sensible thing and went out and bought The Elder Scrolls Anthology.... and started playing Skyrim.

I noticed a few things with it..... Firstly, how it seems to be tailored exclusively for Console use with regards to the menus, and secondly, how DUMBED DOWN it seems to be compared with its predecessor!
No character classes anymore, no individual skill upgrades, simpler dialogue, no being able to do alchemy on the move etc.....
Don't get me wrong, it looks stunning - even on a fairly low-spec laptop like mine, and the combat system works well, it just seems that they've put all the budget into making the thing look fantasic at the expense of having to actually think whilst playing it.....
Obviously I'll keep on playing it, I mean I'm only about 7 hours into the game at the moment, so I'm hoping it'll open up a bit more.

Maybe Video games are just getting stupider?
Any thoughts?

Maybe you need to play Skyrim little bit more. There are skill level upgrades in this game, but in different way from Oblivion. You have to find a person that will train you on certain skills (you have to pay for it - there is no challenge like Oblivion does).

Skyrim is just a whole different gameplay from Oblivion and it's almost comparing apple and orange. Is it dumbed down? Not 100%. As I said it's just a different gameplay. I felt Skyrim a bit boring (I played it for 157 hours! :shock: ).

You can fix this. Register at skyrim.nexusmods.com.

Install SkyUI. You now have a much nicer interface that better suits a PC (though I use it on the big screen as I play with a controller on my HDTV, but whatever).

You want more complexity?

Get Hypothermia, Imp's More Complex Needs, Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger and Cloaks Of Skyrim. Hypothermia means you now need to dress warmly (the cloaks will help with that, a LOT) and avoid bad weather and water to stay warm or you will get stat penalties and eventually death by hypothermia. Imp's Needs means you now need to eat a balanced diet, stay hydrated and sleep or suffer increasing stat penalties. The Camping Kit helps because you can now set up a camp anywhere, to cook food, sleep or just build a fire to warm yourself.

You now have a proper adventure simply travelling around the wilderness, never mind doing the proper quests. Checking into inns and buying food serves an actual purpose and you are now much more involved in your character's life.

If you're interested, I'll tell you what else I have installed (I can't remember the names of them all right now). Vilja is highly recommended - she's a fully voiced NPC with a lot of fun skills and her own questline. Ethereal Elven Overhaul is another, it changes the downright ugly default elves into the slender, exotic and beautiful creatures the lore describes. I also have several mods that bring the world to life with random parties of adventurers that will roam around fighting hostiles, more citizens in the towns... I think I played the 360 version for all of 20 minutes before I took it back to the store and used the money to buy the Steam version.

Thanks guys. Yeah, been looking into the Mods you can get - I think turning Skyrim into a pure RPG would be a big bonus. There's a blog online somewhere where someone just tried living in Skyrim - not doing quests, not leveling up, not even trying to fight enemies - just trying to survive and make money.
Always interested to learm more about mods and stuff. Currently playing a Breton Battlemage/Spellsword kinda character at the moment - although I remember when I played Oblivion, I had far more fun just playing a morally reprehensable thief! (although that Frenzy spell was far more fun than it had any right to be :) )

I'll post more in a little while, but for now this is me being an assassin using the Succubus race you can get from Nexusmods.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3S-TrsHdUw]Skyrim - The joy of being a succubus assassin - YouTube[/ame]

You can see I have to transform into my true form in order to use my powers, but then I get my target to attack a group of mercenaries and then use voice to get them to stop attacking me. My big problem is I always forget to transform back into human form. Humans don't like daedra from Oblivion very much, and I am attacked on sight if I enter a town.

Okay, I have more than I realized... 49 mods subscribed from the Steam Workshop, and about as many again according to Nexus Mod Manager (I highly recommend installing it, remember to run it as Administrator or it won't work)

Nexus stuff:
Killable and lootable children
Run For Your Lives (makes non-combat NPCs flee)
Caliente's Female Body Mod (CBBE, nude female mods so you can actually fully undress as opposed to just getting down to underwear. Great if you like to roleplay jumping into lakes and streams for a refreshing swim!)
Dagi-Raht race
Ohme-Raht race
Succubus race
The Noiral race
The Ashen race
Drow race
Quality Road Map
Better Males - beautiful nudes and faces (yes... well, I figured if I had nude female models why not males too)
Warzones (basically adds Imperial vs Stormcloak battles at strategic locations for you to watch or avoid or join in)
Racemenu (helps choosing your starting race)
Realistic Wildlife Loot and Recipes (dead animals now drop a LOT of meat)

On Steam:
The PC Gamer Skyrim Collection
xxxDoylexxx's collection for hardcore
More Detailed Cities
Detailed Outskirts
Crowded Cities
Adventurers and Travellers (the last four all mean the world is alive with people going about their lives)
Better Dynamic Snow
Vibrant Auroras
Dynamic Merchants
Wild Horses

That's a lot of stuff, but the game is transformed by all this. Pour a drink, start them all downloading and installing. It'll take an hour or two but then you'll have an incredible game to play.

I played Oblivion and Skyrim. I loved Skyrim because of the vastly overhauled game engine. I loved the mysterious Dwarven ruins.

By the way, lay off the skooma ok? :)

I played Oblivion and Skyrim. I loved Skyrim because of the vastly overhauled game engine. I loved the mysterious Dwarven ruins.

By the way, lay off the skooma ok? :)

That HUGE underground Dwarven ruin. Fun to explore down there.

Wow, there's a lot to be getting on with here, best make a start! The Warzones mod sounds fun :)

Ok, not D/L'ed any mods yet but I did tackle a mahoosive Dwemer ruin whilst trying to find a sword for someone or other - with the aid of a Wizard follower who I kitted out in some fairly scary armour!
Those Centurion things take a bit of walloping don't they? :)

That HUGE underground Dwarven ruin. Fun to explore down there.

Yes, I explored that massive underground Dwarven ruins, but I didn't complete my exploration. Gave up video gaming because there are more important things to focus on in life. :)

Those Centurion things take a bit of walloping don't they? :)

The Dwarven Centurion Master is one pesky monster to deal with, especially if your character is is a low level one.

Wow, there's a lot to be getting on with here, best make a start! The Warzones mod sounds fun :)

Fair warning: Warzones is a big system hog, especially if you don't configure it. Some of the battles are huge, over a dozen soldiers on each side.

You get a spell you can cast called GOD OF WARZONES which summons an NPC to let you configure everything... once I reduced things a bit it was no longer quite as bad but it still slows things a little bit when I pass the battles.

Wow, I think anything's that's a system hog is a bit of a no-no, might very well try some of the others though.

Upto my 44th hour of playing Skyrim. I aquired a murderous Elven follower, who was very useful in a scrap. Decided to marry her, then as soon as the wedding was over she buggered off! I was most upset, I mean we hadn't even cut the wedding cake or anything - let alone consummating the wedding!
Anyway, I couldn't find her, so I went to knock over a few forts, and found myself another follower, an apprentice wizard, armed with some sort of super-lightening shock spell.
Together we went exploring Dwemer ruins.... He'd go in and slaughter everything there, and I'd hang back and loot the bodies. It was a perfect partnership. As a reward I kitted him out with Elven armour and a magical 2-handed sword, which he seemed happeir to use than magic.
Then I decided to go and upset a couple of Giants.
My Wizard got troddon on by a mammoth. Distraught, I looted his body and returned to WhiteRun - where my Elven wife was waiting for me in the pub.

I think there's some sort of moral there..........

If you like companions, try Vilja. You build a proper friendship with her as you adventure together, and she's quite intelligent and fun to interact with so you might come to feel genuine affection for her.

Well, I went Dungeoneering with Jenessa (my Skyrim missus) but I got paranoid in case she'd get trodden on by a Mammoth, so I sent her back home to Whiterun, joined the Imperial Legion, and acquired another follower by the name of Lydia. This one isn't quite as murderous or deadly as Jenessa, but we'll see - nice to have someone watching your back!

Lydia's not that interesting, which is disappointing. I have Vilja and another modded NPC called Misha. Generally speaking I don't like NPC sidekicks, as I find they are suicidal in combat and then I feel terrible when they die trying to take down a giant using a toothpick.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I like to use fire spells from a distance then move in and dispatch anyone left alive with an enchanted weapon - but I accidentally fried my Wizard a couple of times doing that, so I had to rethink my attack strategies....

And on a related note, I've just started playing Morrowind....

Jeez, it's a proper RPG that needs a fair amount of thought, doesn't hold your hand like Skyrim and Oblivion did. I suspect most Skyrim players would run a mile from it!

We'll see where we go with it...

I haven't played Skyrim yet, but from what my friends have told me (they played both Oblivion and Skyrim)... they liked Skyrim better because of extra features included. I think it was something to do with having your own house or something.

I haven't played Skyrim yet, but from what my friends have told me (they played both Oblivion and Skyrim)... they liked Skyrim better because of extra features included. I think it was something to do with having your own house or something.

In both Skyrim and Oblivion you can buy your own house, but with Skyrim, you can actually build your own house. Skyrim is much cooler than Oblivion due to the graphics and even the gameplay, especially with killing dragons. The quests and quest line is way better in Skyrim.

By the way, read this article about a guy who labored so many hours to make a mod for Skyrim.

A Mod for Skyrim Made

Back