Signs Restaurant!

my friends talked with the owner and asked why not open it in NYC. He did research about it and it would cost him about million dollars a year in lease and taxes. damn!

my friends talked with the owner and asked why not open it in NYC. He did research about it and it would cost him about million dollars a year in lease and taxes. damn!

$1 mill?!

So canada is more cheaper. If it was for a popularity, he would have opened it in the US, somewhere. Perhaps Austin, TX? :hmm:

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

$1 mill?!

So canada is more cheaper. If it was for a popularity, he would have opened it in the US, somewhere. Perhaps Austin, TX? :hmm:

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

I think it's an exaggeration but I dunno

I guess that Mr. Manikumar had a Deaf patron in the restaurant where he worked before. This Deaf patron had been eating in the restaurant for years. So I guess he decided to open a restaurant so that the Deaf patron and other Deaf people can come in with ASL from the waitresses and waiters to communicate them about ordering food either at the tables or take out (I think). That was how he started the "Signs" restaurant for Deaf patrons. :hmm:

That's right. He's not 'taking advantage', he's trying to provide jobs with a side dish of awareness.

restaurant leasing is more expensive.

I think the most expensive part of the business would be the equipment and the overhead. I can see that easily exceeding $1mil, even 5mil.

It also would make sense that restaurant leasing is more expensive because it's already outfitted for a restaurant taking a large chunk of start-up cost away.

As a DEAF person I am well aware one can use "pen/paper" when communicating to those than use ASL et al-only. As for being "part of "deaf community"-seems there is a computer forum called AllDeaf.com. Very interesting discussions generated.

Since I normally don't eat in restuarants going to "Signs" in Markham ( outside of Toronto) isn't going to happen.

Busy tonight-Cochlear Implant exercise- Club Solo ( senior's dance)

Last edited:
As I recall the original article in the Toronto Star seems I "picked up it was in Markham ".

Still at Wellesley/Yonge is no advantage for me- I live in the "beach area" some distance away.

As noted before not exactly a "restuarant person"- still prefer to eat at home.
Aside: no listing in the "business yellow pages" for Signs Restaurant-Yonge Street. The copy I have " One Toronto-Core Southeast".

aside: TTC. As I don't own/drive a car-- I use the TTC almost every single day. Know about Queen streetcar Main bus Bloor Danforth subway. I also have a "metro TTC pass"

Last edited:
The gentleman who owns Signs worked at a Boston Pizza in Markham, that's where this whole thing started.

I would say you could just get on the streetcar, but then you also try the online Yellow Pages which do list Signs Restaurant at 558 Yonge but... MEH.

Back