Shrimp consumption WARNING from Consumer Reports

TinCanSailor

Premium Member
Reaction score
Know where your shrimp is from and the hazards.

Pay particular attention from which country your shrimp comes from. U.S. shrimp is the safest.

We live near the coast, so we have a few restaurants that only serve shrimp that is caught in the Atlantic and are bought off the shrimp boats. Our restaurant chains usually buy imported shrimp. Most grocery stores carry imported shrimp.

CR identified drugs and bacteria. Some which can kill you.

Last edited:
I was at Market Basket today and the seafood department smelled really bad . I don't know people can even stand buying any seafood from there.
All the shrimp at MB is from China shrimp farms . Yuck ! I live on the coast too but seafood cost a lot more in the winter. I wanted to buy some scallops
at Shaw's today and large scallops were $18.00 per lbs. :shock:

I was at Market Basket today and the seafood department smelled really bad . I don't know people can even stand buying any seafood from there.
All the shrimp at MB is from China shrimp farms . Yuck ! I live on the coast too but seafood cost a lot more in the winter. I wanted to buy some scallops
at Shaw's today and large scallops were $18.00 per lbs. :shock:

Yike, the wild shrimp from Alabama Gulf cost $15-$20 per lbs. :eek3:

I in uk and get china shrimps I refused buy them bc they cruel to anything they going to eat..i loved scallops but expensive not that easy to get

Yike, the wild shrimp from Alabama Gulf cost $15-$20 per lbs. :eek3:

I found out if you buy shrimps at are frozen you end up paying for the ice that in the bag too. I once brought some shrimps from Market Basket and when I opened the bag at home I almost :barf: ! They smelled so horrible I could not believe it so I went back to the store to return . I put the bag on my front seat and that was a bad idea! My whole car stink like rotten seafood. I no longer by seafood at MB! Shaw's is better but they cost a lot more. I buy seafood at Shaw's when it on sale and freeze it. I had chicken for supper instead. :( I wanted seafood.

I in uk and get china shrimps I refused buy them bc they cruel to anything they going to eat..i loved scallops but expensive not that easy to get

Doesn't the UK have a fishing industry?

We love Shrimp...it's expensive tho'...my boys still go shrimping, so we save $$ that way, even crabbing...

Back