Septoplasty

Oceanbreeze

Reaction score
As some of you may know and remember, I've had life long sinus issues, and had a procedure done to remove polyps a few years ago. At the time, it was discovered that I also had a deviated septum, which I knew meant I'd need another surgery. At the time, I wasn't up to undergoing another procedure because the polyp removal/sinus surgery was harsh and the recovery was painful. I also wasn't sure my insurance would cover the cost of the surgery, so I tabled it indefinitely.

Well, fast forward two and a half years. I'm having issues again with repeated sinus infections (I knew I would...It was only a matter of time :roll:). Thankfully, the infections have all been viral so far, but I knew it was time I started looking into the deviated septum repair. Well, I found an ENT who will take my insurance and do the repair I need.

This means surgery is looming. I've not yet met with the ENT to discuss the surgery, but will do so in the near future.

I'm NOT looking forward to this, but I AM looking forward to hopefully having all my sinus issues dealt with once and for all!

*Note: Septoplasty is the name for the surgical repair of a deviated septum.

My husband had that surgery after breaking his nose playing basketball . He still has bad sinus problems.

Hopefully you will have much better luck! :fingersx:

My husband had that surgery after breaking his nose playing basketball . He still has bad sinus problems.

Hopefully you will have much better luck! :fingersx:

I read that can happen. I will discuss everything with my Dr when I make the appt.

Thanks, Bott. I hope so, too.

I hope the surgery goes well for you. To be honest I've heard discouraging reports from other people who have had surgery for sinus problems. But maybe their surgeries were different procedures.

Hubby has been suffering for years from sinus headaches and infections but he doesn't want surgery.
What kind of prognosis for you does the doctor offer?

Wirelessly posted

Oh dear girl you've been through a lot and you will defitinely have my prayers. :ily:

I hope the surgery goes well for you. To be honest I've heard discouraging reports from other people who have had surgery for sinus problems. But maybe their surgeries were different procedures.

Hubby has been suffering for years from sinus headaches and infections but he doesn't want surgery.
What kind of prognosis for you does the doctor offer?

Thank you, Reba. You heard correctly. Polyps (which I had before) tend to reoccur. Also, the septum can "bend" back into it's previous position even after repair. I will say this much. I'm doing this ONCE. I will have no more sinus surgery after this one should the repair fail. The first recouperation was awful. I don't expect anything less this time around and I WILL NOT keep going thru this. I may end up admitting defeat and just live with the issues. The issue, though, is infection. If I wasn't so prone to life threatening complications from them, I wouldn't bother with fixing anything.

Regarding prognosis, I don't know yet. I will update after I see the ENT. But, I'm not keen on having more surgery, so I think this one will be it. I'm sorta stuck between a rock and a hard place concerning the infections. They can threaten my life, so I may have to do something. It's a "I will cross that bridge when I come to it" thing..., but a snap reaction is to say "Heck with this!"

Wirelessly posted

Oh dear girl you've been through a lot and you will defitinely have my prayers. :ily:

TY!

I have. This all started at the age of four. I was "blessed" or cursed, depending on your perspective, with narrow sinus passages. Then, all the surgeries I've had through the years scarred my nasal passages further (tubes placed during surgery to deliver oxygen and the anesthetics is what caused the trauma). I'm on meds, and they help, but flu season is really rough. I almost always get a sinus infection at least once from November thru May. I'm battling one now, actually.

You're a trooper, Ocean!...Let's hope this surgery works, once and for all!...Keep the faith, stay strong and bless you!

You're a trooper, Ocean!...Let's hope this surgery works, once and for all!...Keep the faith, stay strong and bless you!

TY, Robin. You weren't on the forum during the time of my original surgery. It was in Apr '08. I had several polyps removed because I was having repeated infections and antibiotics weren't helping. (They couldn't get to the infection because of the polyps.) It was a revolving door of getting infections, going on antibiotics; feeling better for a short time; only to get another infection...Rinse and repeat....) At the time, the surgeon told me that polyps often reoccur. I was NOT prepared for how awful that surgery would be. They had to manually remove the infected tissue which made the procedure very painful. I know from other surgeries I've had that any time you are dealing with infected tissue, it's going to hurt! Well, it did. I SWORE I would never do it again.

I'm swearing again that I WILL never do THIS again. We shall see, but I may mean it this time!

As some of you may know and remember, I've had life long sinus issues, and had a procedure done to remove polyps a few years ago. At the time, it was discovered that I also had a deviated septum, which I knew meant I'd need another surgery. At the time, I wasn't up to undergoing another procedure because the polyp removal/sinus surgery was harsh and the recovery was painful. I also wasn't sure my insurance would cover the cost of the surgery, so I tabled it indefinitely.

Well, fast forward two and a half years. I'm having issues again with repeated sinus infections (I knew I would...It was only a matter of time :roll:). Thankfully, the infections have all been viral so far, but I knew it was time I started looking into the deviated septum repair. Well, I found an ENT who will take my insurance and do the repair I need.

This means surgery is looming. I've not yet met with the ENT to discuss the surgery, but will do so in the near future.

I'm NOT looking forward to this, but I AM looking forward to hopefully having all my sinus issues dealt with once and for all!

*Note: Septoplasty is the name for the surgical repair of a deviated septum.

I had the operation two years ago and I am healthy now. It was hard to live with a locked nose for three days.. Hope it goes well for you

Techniques improve, and each person's case is different, so I have all confidence that things will go well for you. :)

Please remind us when you get close to the actual surgery date. I'll be praying that all goes well for your surgery and recovery. :hug:

Techniques improve, and each person's case is different, so I have all confidence that things will go well for you. :)

Please remind us when you get close to the actual surgery date. I'll be praying that all goes well for your surgery and recovery. :hug:

Thank you. I'm looking at probably later this spring. I'm just not mentally prepared for this right now; but I know it probably has to be done.

You know? I've lived with sinus issues my entire life. I had my tonsils and adenoids out at 11. That was done to relieve breathing issues and reduce infection rates. It worked, but didn't eliminate the sinus infections. I also have been on a myriad of meds for this as well. The meds work to reduce the inflammation in my sinus cavity, but again, the infections are still a problem.

Even with the infections, I wasn't too bothered by it until 5 yrs ago. At that time, I became aware of antbiotic resistance and also my risk for sepsis. That frightened me. Once my sinus infections started increasing in frequency, I began looking at surgical intervention.

It's probably not the cure I hoped it would be, but if I can go without 2-3 infections per year, that'd be great!

Back